Code of Conduct
    Point Blank

Default Evening scent that smells like new leather shoes?

I am looking for a formal evening scent that is remniscent of how new leather shoes smells. I tend to like vetiver, woody notes, spices, incense and resins. I dislike overly animalic notes, too sharp flowery notes of especially rose, aldehyde and melon.

A fragrance that is to leather what Bvlgari Black is to rubber is what I am looking for.

Any recommendations?

Default Re: Evening scent that smells like new leather shoes?

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire is the truest "fine leather" fragrance I've smelt. It really does smell like a good leather.

Xerjoff XJ Homme is the best quality leather fragrance I've come across.

I second the Cuir Ottoman, which immediately came to my mind when I read your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    I am looking for a formal evening scent that is remniscent of how new leather shoes smells.

[...]

A fragrance that is to leather what Bvlgari Black is to rubber is what I am looking for.

Any recommendations?
    Do not stop, pick up Cuir Ottoman. It fits the highlighted descriptions just perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire is the truest "fine leather" fragrance I've smelt. It really does smell like a good leather.
    This is also my first choice for what you want--PdE Cuir Ottoman. A true leather top note.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This is also my first choice for what you want--PdE Cuir Ottoman. A true leather top note.
    Yep. I agree with everybody else.

Point Blank

Wow, complete agreement. Cuir Ottoman it is! This will be very interesting...

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. Amazing leather!
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

royal english leather by creed!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    royal english leather by creed!
    As it happens, I sampled REL today. I found it to be a pleasant leather in an abstract leather/tannery fluids kind of way. I can't relate the smell to a new leather product like a pair of gloves or a pair of shoes.

The thread starter is looking for a fragrance that actually smells like leather shoes.

As it happens, I sampled REL today. I found it to be a pleasant leather in an abstract leather/tannery fluids kind of way. I can't relate the smell to a new leather product like a pair of gloves or a pair of shoes.

The thread starter is looking for a fragrance that actually smells like leather shoes.
    Agree. Love REL, but its a buttery smooth leather of a very expensive coat, or the seats in a Rolls. I'm at a loss for the shoe leather smell. That's a sharper, harsher leather scent. Some noses I trust here seem to be pointing to Cuir Ottoman.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th June 2010 at 08:48 PM.

Cuir Ottoman and PG Cuir d'Iris -- I found them very similar at first, but then I noticed some slight similarities. CO smells more like a very expensive Tod's suede loafer, whereas Cuir d'Iris smells like a Church's leather Derby! Very true leather scents. You won't be dissapointed!

+1 Tuscan Leather. You gotta be a real leather man to like this stuff. I had a 4 ml sample that I gave away to a friend who ended up springing 250 for a bottle. There's nothing like Tuscan Leather.

I just ordered a sample of Cuir Ottoman (along with Lost March Din Dan) from Luckyscent, thanks to this
    thread. I hope that they work out for me, expecially since they are both feminine/unisex type scents.

+1 again. I've gone through many leather scents and this is by far my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    +1 Tuscan Leather. You gotta be a real leather man to like this stuff. I had a 4 ml sample that I gave away to a friend who ended up springing 250 for a bottle. There's nothing like Tuscan Leather.
    Last edited by rioni; 5th June 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I just ordered a sample of Cuir Ottoman (along with Lost March Din Dan) from Luckyscent, thanks to this
    thread. I hope that they work out for me, expecially since they are both feminine/unisex type scents.
    And I ordered a decant of Cuir d'Iris, also thanks to this thread...

Point Blank

I just ordered a sample of Cuir Ottoman and Cuir D'Iris. I will keep Tuscan Leather and Royal English Leather on my to-test-list. Thanks for the input - looking forward to this.

Thanks to this thread, I'm going to be sampling PG Cuir d'Iris and Cuir Ottoman. Not a huge fan of leather, but shoe leather may be a different story.

Gucci PH. Brown juice in the square bottle.

I just ordered a sample of Cuir Ottoman and Cuir D'Iris. I will keep Tuscan Leather and Royal English Leather on my to-test-list. Thanks for the input - looking forward to this.
    I've worn REL a lot and wearing Tuscan Leather tonight. Both are very smoothhhh to me and as a fan of nice shoes, neither have as much "bite" as a new pair of Ferragamos or Alan Edmunds. REL is more traditional and "manly"; Tuscan Leather is more sensual.

I highly suggest you PM SirSlarty about Kiton Black. It's a "niche" fragrance, of a sort, although not superbly so. It is fantastic, and very, very leathery.

Basenotes Institution

You need to try Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford. The first time I smelled it, I mentioned it smelled like the inside of a leather shoe store. It has that shoe polish sort-of vibe to it.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You need to try Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford. The first time I smelled it, I mentioned it smelled like the inside of a leather shoe store. It has that shoe polish sort-of vibe to it.
    This seems to be a limited edition? Have you tried the other recommendations - Cuir Ottoman and Cuir d'Iris? If so, how does Tom Ford Extreme differ?

Earlier, I forgot to mention Persian Leather by Caswell and Massey. This is a potent leather BOMB with really not a lot happening except real leather. I felt like I was wearing a brown leather jacket, but it was just the fragrance. I don't think I could ever really wear it, but if you want leather...this is your guy! And I'm pretty sure you can get it for cheap (about $19-$23 for a 100 ml bottle). Probably worth it as a blind buy. At that price, regret would be easy to stomach if you didn't like it.
    Last edited by danho; 6th June 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Knize Ten worth to try if u really like pure leather aroma

Last edited by ruffin; 6th June 2010 at 03:23 PM.

I don't think Tuscan Leather smells like 'leather shoes'. Though in fact it is a fantastic leather scent, albeit of a different kind.

The only scent that I've found that smells like 'shoe polish type' leather, is Knize Ten.
    It still is different from 'shoe leather' smell but you are within the range.

I second this.

Cuir Ottoman smells like new shoes to me plus some subtle, powdery iris.

Tuscan Leather smells like a brand new leather jacket and raspberries.

Those are the only two fragrances I know that could be mistaken for an actual leather product - Cuir d'Iris, Tabac Blond, Knize Ten, Or Black, and Oud Cuir d'Arabie are all more leather-y than pure leather.

I tested Tom Ford Extreme today, and I have to agree that it does smell like you would expect a leather shoe store or a gentleman's store to smell. Very, very pleasant!

Knize Ten is a harsh and petrochemical raw leather, not a finished product.

And I have a confession: I got myself a bottle of Cuir Ottoman today, it was 20% off so I couldn't resist the temptation...

And I have a confession: I got myself a bottle of Cuir Ottoman today, it was 20% off so I couldn't resist the temptation...
    Good score! This thread is making me wear Cuir Ottoman today. Lovely stuff.

Point Blank

@tott

How would you say that Tom Ford Extreme differs from Cuir Ottoman?
    Last edited by Point Blank; 6th June 2010 at 08:47 PM.

Well... Tom Ford is a woody, spicy, warm, traditional men's fragrance with a touch of leather (very nice!) while Cuir Ottoman is pure luxurious leather with subdued fruit and flowers.

Point Blank

Ok, I will make sure to check out TF Extreme as well. I tend to like woods & spices.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I don't think Tuscan Leather smells like 'leather shoes'. Though in fact it is a fantastic leather scent, albeit of a different kind.

The only scent that I've found that smells like 'shoe polish type' leather, is Knize Ten.
    It still is different from 'shoe leather' smell but you are within the range.
    Yeah, remembering my test of Knize 10 and it's pretty intense leather for sure. Put this on the list point blank.

Blog Entries

OK, no one else has mentioned it so, here it goes; Cuir de Lancome.

Basenotes Institution

This seems to be a limited edition? Have you tried the other recommendations - Cuir Ottoman and Cuir d'Iris? If so, how does Tom Ford Extreme differ?
    Sorry PointBlank, I've never tried those two. However after reading this thread, I would love to smell both of them.

Also, IMO Knize Ten does NOT smells like new leather shoes. Leather (birch tar) specifically? Yes! But not that tanned, oily, shoe-polish sort of smell.

S-Ex by S-Perfumes

New leather boots with vynil and open space.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Hats off to you Mike for having such a blessed nose.

I just test sprayed this today as I was choosing between scents that I don't wear and deciding if I want to keep them or not.
    I had read your post a few days ago and though I disagreed at the time, I have to admit that you were right.

This actually smells like the insides of a new leather shoe. I can't imagine how you can make that connection.
    Your nose is a genius mate.

Cool Re: Evening scent that smells like new leather shoes?

Wow, complete agreement. Cuir Ottoman it is! This will be very interesting...
    And after this, life became complicated

OK, I've never sampled Cuir Ottoman but I have sampled some of the others, get the C.O.

Though I am a huge fan of Royal English Leather, but it seems that it's not not what you're asking for.

BTW, should you ever desire a high quality leather glove scent, the kind of glove used by aristocratic duelists when they drew their rapiers and saluted their opponents just before skewering them, give a whiff to this allegedly 300 year old formula:

Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regence

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.