Code of Conduct

Default The Smell of New Clothes

Hello!

I bought some new clothing the other day and realised when I got home, they smell really nice. Not sure how to describe the smell of new clothes, but i's kinda warm and clean. You know the smell, don't you? Is it the way the shop smells, or is it the materials?

I was wondering if this has ever been incorporated into a perfume?? What are they?

Hope you know what I mean and you can help?!

Default Re: The Smell of New Clothes

L'eau Serge Lutens - very close to the new clothes smell, only better. Somehow, SL has figured out how to replicate the smell of fresh-ironed linen. It's a neat trick.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    L'eau Serge Lutens - very close to the new clothes smell, only better. Somehow, SL has figured out how to replicate the smell of fresh-ironed linen. It's a neat trick.
    Thanks for your reply. Does sound really nice, and what I may be looking for. How wearable for a man is it?

Some people say J Peterman's 1903 is a fresh linen smell... I frankly don't get that from 1903. Warm and clean, yes... but not new clothes, fresh linen. But I like the scent anyway. I'm sure part of the new clothes smell is the shop itself, as most shops these days employ scent emitters for atmosphere... and of course the various materials (chemicals, etcetera) used in preparing the clothes in the first place, from those used to wash the cloth to those used when the item is pressed. And then, if there is anything that is used by the salespeople if they steam the wrinkles out of the clothing as they hang it on the display racks...

But yeah, I do know what you mean! (long story short...ish.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

From what a former Gap employee told me, Gap actually scents their clothes (so does Abercrombie and Fitch). It's like subconscious olfactory marketing, I guess.

I've found that Vetiver Babylone by Armani smells a lot like that "new clothes" smell, fresh from the department store. Otherwise, I think what you might be smelling is just the smell of cotton/polyester and some sort of factory machinery smell, that can smell surprisingly good (eg. the smell of new shoes). Speaking of new shoes, I've found that Bigarade Concentree, has a note that kind of smells like new shoes and tennis balls (among the orangey skank that takes center stage).
    Sales thread here

It could be like cosmoline! (the not really very safe wax that is used on machine parts)... but it smells good, in a way!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Does sound really nice, and what I may be looking for. How wearable for a man is it?
    Very, very wearable. Long lasting. Women rave about it on me. Even my wife. Try before buy, but I'd bet good money on it. Give it a sample wearing at least. You won't be sorry, if you're looking for clean/freash/unique/high-quality/costly. It's all of that, and then some. . .

Hmmm...Richard James EDT has a "clean shirt accord." I don't know what that means...
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th June 2010 at 05:20 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Gendarme EDP - the cleanest frag i know. Evokes "new", "fresh" and "immaculate" perfectly. Phenomenal longevity, especially on fabric. Sometimes i wonder if it was actually created to freshen fabric, and the someone found out it wore well on skin ;0)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Gendarme EDP - the cleanest frag i know. Evokes "new", "fresh" and "immaculate" perfectly. Phenomenal longevity, especially on fabric. Sometimes i wonder if it was actually created to freshen fabric, and the someone found out it wore well on skin ;0)
    A favorite of mine as well. I like the EDC even more, there's a topnote in there that's amazing.

Definatly L'eau Serge Lutens and maybe Aqua Universalis from Francis Kirkdijan

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Definatly L'eau Serge Lutens and maybe Aqua Universalis from Francis Kirkdijan

I like these recs, and they are definitely "clean smelling clothes" fragrances, but not necessarily "new clothes," IMO.
    Sales thread here

Maybe Cobra Man

I think new clothes smell like startch. I always assume there is tons of starch in them to keep them looking good in the store. I am not sure which notes will smell like starch.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    A favorite of mine as well. I like the EDC even more, there's a topnote in there that's amazing.
    Gendarme is worth a try for you. Gendarme and Gendarme 20 both very fresh and clean. "20" has a heavier lavender note than regular Gendarme.

Well I guess Declaration has that Cumin note, if you're going for the smell of a sweat-shop! :-)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Just to check, are these recommendations of new clothes smells or washed/clean clothes?
    What I'm really after is that smell of a department store clothing department, thick jumpers...

Armani Prive Babylone Vetiver gives me a clothes store/new clothes smell.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Gendarme is worth a try for you. Gendarme and Gendarme 20 both very fresh and clean. "20" has a heavier lavender note than regular Gendarme.
    problem is it doesn't last more than ten minutes with ten squirts

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    problem is it doesn't last more than ten minutes with ten squirts
    Yeah, but people wait in line for 45 minutes to go on a roller coaster than lasts for 5....waitasec, is that a non sequitur?

DeepSilence

I was curious about Blue Jean by Versace. It smells Jean?!

Dunhill Fresh smells like new shoes / new clothes. Puro Lino also has this a little, but more like new clothes about to get washed when they get home and tags get popped. Prelude to Love also has a little of this 'new clothes'. Haven't yet smelled the new serge.

I've been told that that smell comes mostly from various chemicals that are applied to the fabrics and/or the finished clothes to repel dirt, keep them wrinkle-free and so on. The staff that unpack and steam the clothes often wear protective cotton gloves, sometimes masks and other protective clothing - it's potentitally irritating, maybe toxic.

How about Odeur 53? That one has a great freshly-ironed-clothes note, and some interesting chemical-smelling stuff in it too.

Blue Jeans by Versace certainly does not smell like any type of clothing -- at all. It's a great fragrance though. An old flame.

Agree, the scent is chemical. My guess would be (at least one, maybe more) petroleum based product that is commonly used with the machinery that handles/weaves the fabric. Maybe "loom oil", "spindle oil", "textile oil" etc. Call a mill talk with someone, you'll probably get an answer ("Hey, what's that smell?")

What you need is a replica of the volatile notes without the actual carcinogenic (?) compounds...hah hah...oils.

One of my fragrance ideas is for someone to come out with a fragrance entitled Retail or Department Store or Shopping Therapy that is a combination of handbag/shoe leather, the "new clothes" scent, and an odd mixture of cosmetics/fragrances...the smell of capitalism!

I guarantee it a quirky hit.