Code of Conduct

Default Do You Ever Just "Get It' upon Second Application?

I know this sounds strange, but I only "get" the true fragrance upon a second application. Not to say that I don't notice/recognize a frag upon its initial application, but, for some reason, a "second" application brings out the true nature of the cologne. Does this happen to anyone else?

Read more: http://www.basenotes.net/newthread.p...#ixzz0q1SbQlH4

Default Re: Do You Ever Just "Get It' upon Second Application?

Yes, although it took more than two wearings. It was Habit Rouge with me. Couldn't for the life of me work out what all of the fuss was about, and then it just clicked. I can't imagine being without it now.

Yep, it's even happened to me after 5 or 6 wearings. I think it has to do with pre-conceptions. If you expect something to be something it isn't, it doesn't always click, so to speak. Once you give it a few wearings, those pre-conceptions usually die off, and you're left with just the fragrance for what it is. Then it clicks (or, sometimes doesn't click, regardless of pre-conceptions).

It happened to me with Kouros - I didn't see the fuss, and didn't know exactly what to make of it, until I wore it for the fourth or fifth time, and then I was hooked. Actually, I think this applies to all of my favorite frags - not one of them made a spectacular impression upon first sniff, they had to work their magic on me over time. Thank Christ for blind buys and samples; if I'd sniffed them in the store from a tester, I'd probably have written them off right then and there as nice, but nothing special. Being forced to wear something out of lack of selection or boredom can really help you appreciate a fragrance.

Yes, with many favorites in fact. L'Arte di Gucci and Oud Cuir d'Arabie just smelled horrid the first time.

I'm now at my fifth application from l'Air du Desert Marocain, from a sample I bought.
    I might just buy this... I keep getting back to it in a short timespan.

It happened to me a few years ago with Carthusia Mediterraneo. I was probably expecting more from it on the first spray in a local store and I passed it off. Having then sampled it about 6 months later I loved it and purchased the EDT. I now only stick to the perfume version, which I find far better than the EDT. It's always best to go back to a fragrance and at least give it a second chance if you didn't like it the first time around, as you'll possibly end up with a totally different opinion.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Yep, it's even happened to me after 5 or 6 wearings. I think it has to do with pre-conceptions. If you expect something to be something it isn't, it doesn't always click, so to speak. Once you give it a few wearings, those pre-conceptions usually die off, and you're left with just the fragrance for what it is. Then it clicks (or, sometimes doesn't click, regardless of pre-conceptions).
    Exactly. Same for me-- preconceptions interfere with what you are really smelling. The name of the scent can throw you off (a "rose" that doesn't smell of rose, for example), or reading about it first (which we all do.)

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Exactly. Same for me-- preconceptions interfere with what you are really smelling. The name of the scent can throw you off (a "rose" that doesn't smell of rose, for example), or reading about it first (which we all do.)
    This happened to me just recently. I didn't like Lauder's Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang because I was expecting a big floral, and this completely got in the way of the fact that the fragrance itself I quite enjoy.

On occasion it happens for me but I'd have to say rarely.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Never.

Usually if I don't really "get" a fragrance at first it takes more than one try
    ôLove is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.ö
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    It was Habit Rouge with me. Couldn't for the life of me work out what all of the fuss was about, and then it just clicked. I can't imagine being without it now.
    +1 Habit Rouge for me, too. In fact, it was testing the different concentrations/formulations of Habit Rouge that finally helped it click. I tried the edt a couple of times - and wrinkled up my nose. I couldn't stand it, actually. Later I tested the edp, and I couldn't stop sniffing. I plumped for a full bottle. HR had finally roped me in...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS