Code of Conduct

Default Which houses do you have 'Subject Matter Expertise' in?

When I find a scent I L.O.V.E, I usually sample a lot of that house's other offerings. So I'm wondering, which houses are you well versed in, either because you've tried everything they offer, or it if is a big house with a long history (like Guerlain), you've sampled at least 10 of their offerings?

For me it would be Guerlain, Caron, Sonoma Scent Studio, and Juliette Has a gun,
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: Which houses do you have 'Subject Matter Expertise' in?

I haven't honestly sampled all in their lines, but I have tried a lot of L'Artisan Parfumeur and Annick Goutal more than anyone.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Ooh! SMEishness! (being in instructional design. the subject matter expertise title grabbed me, though I really do not have anything of weight to add to the topic.)

BUT maybe I "know" Xerjoff, as it seems I've sniffed every offering they have. Not in depth, mind you!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 6th June 2010 at 01:30 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Actia- ha, yes, I borrowed the phrase from work (I work at Cisco, and we sell SME services for data networking solutions)
    it can be applied to perfumery, no?

Why not?
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Tom Fords ( all of them ), Czech & Speake ( all of them ), Diptyque ( all but the new one ), Eau d'Italie ( all but the futurist floral ), Michael Storer ( all but the fig one ), Sonoma Scent Studio ( all but Opal and Egyptian Musk ), Serge Lutens ( all but a couple of the 2010 recent releases ), and quite a few of the Neil Morris, Ayala Moriel, and Ava Luxe line that have a relatively small exposure on here. I have sampled more than ten Guerlains, Chanels, Diors, Carons, L'Artisans, Le Labos, Comme des Garcons, and L'Artisans.

Blog Entries

My house would be Guerlain, especially the older classics.

I have smelled more than 10 Guerlains, all Chanels except for Antaeus and the new Blue, and all the perfumes by Kilian.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 6th June 2010 at 03:47 AM.
    Evenstar

Not in any order of favorite houses.

Guerlain
    Caron
    Nina Ricci (one of my favorite houses)
    Fragonard
    Molinard
    Galimard
    Christian Dior
    Chanel
    Creed
    L'Artisan
    Neil Morris (another favorite house)
    Rochas (love them)
    Annick Goutal
    Estee Lauder
    Jean Patou
    Cacharel
    Capucci
    Lanvin
    Balmain
    Balenciaga
    Leonard
    Carven
    Weil
    Lancome
    Pucci

Most of these houses I have all or many of their fragrances, except for Guerlain, Caron, Molinard and Lancome...I would need time travel to accomplish that.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 6th June 2010 at 04:47 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I believe I blindly can identify
    all frags from the houses of;

DIOR
    CHANEL
    GIVENCHY

Basenotes Plus

Creed, without a doubt.

As mentioned before , when I find a house that I really love I want to try all of or as many of their offerings as I can . I wouldnt say I was an expert on any fragrance house but I have tried the entire Parfumerie Generale line and pretty much love them all .

Patou and Balmain, for me.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain
    Caron
    L'Artisan
    Annick Goutal
    Serge Lutens
    Etro
    Estee Lauder
    Creed
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Acqua di Genova , Amouage, Antimateria, Bois 1920, Carthusia, Clive Christian, Creed, Essenze di Mezzanotte, Frapin, Heeley, i Profumi di Firenze, Lorenzo Villloresi, Lost March, Marco da Venezia, Nobile 1942, Odin, Rance, Xerjoff

I've tried at least 10 of: Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Montale, Guerlain, Caron, Chanel, Parfumerie Generale, Annick Goutal, Ava Luxe, Ayala Moriel, Soivohle', Madini.
    I've only tried 9 Malles.

Interesting. I'm surprised how often Guerlain and Caron are popping up! Creed to, I don't have much experience with this house, actually.
    I"m getting some ideas on how to expand my perfumed universe from this thread. Etro hasn't even crossed my path yet, plus so many others.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I would hesitate to call it an 'expertise' but the lines in which I have a somewhat intimate knowledge include:

Histoires de Parfums ( all )
    Sonoma Scent Studio (all except Pure Incense )
    By Kilian (all except Rose Oud & Love)

Diamond , you must try Love By Kilian , I positively insist , its fantastic

Not a house I've actually sniffed my way through, but I keep my eye on the french firm Berdoues. They have a large, interesting back catalogue and a lot of expertise but keep missing the mark somehow. I have the feeling that one day all the blocks will line up for them and they'll release something amazing!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Institution

For me it's Guerlain most definitely - I love the vintage bottles ,juice ,the history, the modern bottles and modern juice ( though I have tried to move away a little - it's not working! *LOL* )
    Have sampled all the Xerjoff's too.

I don't consider myself well versed in any perfume house at all , constantly on a learning curve and I like that.
    Forever the perfume newbie - as I am with yoga !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th June 2010 at 06:33 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    For me it's Guerlain most definitely - I love the vintage bottles ,juice ,the history, the modern bottles and modern juice ( though I have tried to move away a little - it's not working! *LOL* )
    Have sampled all the Xerjoff's too.

I don't consider myself well versed in any perfume house at all , constantly on a learning curve and I like that.
    Forever the perfume newbie - as I am with yoga !
    Beginners' mind is a wonderful place to live, isn't it!

For me

Caron I have tried so many and only a few I have not loved. I even have the large coffee table book of their history bought from the Paris Boutique in French.

Guerlain but have to be honest and say the moderns from this range I am not in love with. Jacques Guerlain was my hero, his nephew for me was not a great perfumer only Chamade and Hertiage hit the mark IMHO.

Diptyque I have sample most of them over time
    Creed I have a number of those. But do not believe the fairy stories they release about this was created for whoever.
    Serge Lutens have over time sampled most of his range. But do find it can be hit or miss with the releases in export range.
    DONNA

I find there are two houses I´ve at least sampled most scents from, one is a fave line: Serge Lutens, and the other is a line I have a hard time to appreciate wearing: L´Artisan Parfumeur (!!)
    I don´t think I´ve tested every scent from one entire line, maybe with the exception of Britney Spears...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I’m sort of afraid to start to answer this because I feel I’m going to look like the worst perfume nerd ever.

Le Labo, Frederic Malle, By Killian, Serge Lutens, Caron, Guerlain, Chanel, Hermes, Neil Morris, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, Creed, L’Artisan, Parfumerie Generale, Comme des Garcons, Annick Goutal, Xerjoff, Amouage, Carthusia, Frapin, Heeley, Jean Patou, Christian Dior, Rochas, Tom Ford, Diptyque, Eau D’Italie, Juliette Has A Gun, Histoire de Parfums, Thierry Mugler, Issey Miyake, Acqua di Parma, Aramis, Jo Malone, Bvlgari, Burberry, Costume National, Helmut Lang, Lalique, Etat Libre D’Orange, Bond No. 9, Kenzo, Cartier, Yves St. Laurent, Parfums de Nicolai, Ormonde Jayne.

Yes I think that list officially makes me a perfume nerd and I’m darn proud of it. 
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

I've sampled quite a few Profumums- enough to think Profumum and I were not destined to be together .

I would have to say Guerlain and D'Orsay, the real history and the "false" history.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

Nicolai
    Amouage
    MDCI
    Jil Sander
    Trussardi
    Capucci
    Rochas
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    YSL (pre-current)
    Sisley
    Krizia
    Balenciaga
    Balmain
    Paco Rabanne
    Soprani (This is my current project.)
    Cacharel
    Estee Lauder
    Tom Ford
    Acqua di Biella
    PG
    Eau d'Italie
    Molyneux
    Gucci (pre-current)
    Cartier
    E.Coudray
    Dior
    Courreges
    JHAG
    Hermes

Currently taking on Nina Ricci, Lancetti, Yves Rocher and The Different Company
    Last edited by Hillaire; 8th June 2010 at 02:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I’m sort of afraid to start to answer this because I feel I’m going to look like the worst perfume nerd ever.
    I'll nerd right along with you, mostly because I've got a collector's mindset - I really like to "complete" something. Plus, I've never met a sample pack I didn't like (Penhaligon's, Ineke, etc)

As of now:

Aftelier (thanks to a sample pack)
    Ava Luxe (thanks to a Perfumed Court sample pack)
    Bond No. 9 (thanks to their generosity with samples)
    By Kilian (thanks to my awesome Kilian rep)
    Caswell-Massey (my first sample pack - I blame it for this whole hobby...)
    Comme Des Garcons (thanks to the friendly folks at Barneys and a few generous BNers)
    Creed (thanks to the fine people at Neimans)
    Czech & Speake (thanks to their amazing mail order sign-up last year)
    The Different Company (another Barneys favorite)
    Diptyque (Yeay SF Diptyque store!)
    Eau d'Italie (thanks to the baskets full of free samples at Lafco in NY)
    Etat Libre d'Orange (thanks to a friendly SA at Henri Bendel in NY for the bag full of samples!)
    Frederic Malle (another Barneys favorite)
    Hermes (thanks to the generous people at the Hermes boutique, along with some BN friends)
    Ineke (another sample pack)
    Jo Malone (another company that's really generous with the samples)
    Keiko Mecheri (thanks to the nice sample program on her website)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur (my first sampling obsession, fed by the folks at Barneys and Neimans, as well as a few nice BNers who filled in some gaps)
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (thanks to a kind BNer as well as the cheap samples at Beauty Encounter)
    Montale (another Perfumed Court sample pack, though they have so many scents now that trying 10 or 15 seems kind of lame)
    Neil Morris (thanks to a wonderful BN Christmas gift)
    Parfums Delrae (thanks to Barneys, again)
    Penhaligan's (another sample pack)
    Serge Lutens (thanks to their rep at Barneys for the exports, and many kind BNers for the non-exports)
    Six Scents (thanks to a Luckyscent sample pack)
    Tom Ford (thanks to two competing Tom Ford counters a block away from each other, trying to outdo each other with samples and goodies)

I've also managed to sniff pretty much everything at the Guerlain boutique here and sample many of them, but I'd have to borrow Brielle's time machine to feel like I'd done anything but scratch the surface...

So allow me to give a big thumbs-up to my fellow nerds!
    Last edited by rogalal; 8th June 2010 at 05:03 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I am probably most knowledgeable about YSL, Eau d'Italie, Guerlain
    Serge Lutens,Divine and Dior.
    Last edited by kewart; 8th June 2010 at 06:46 AM.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Professionally; selling perfume in general, launching brands, marketing, research, copywriting, the 'house' of XXXX (brand name soon to be revealed, which is a new brand-within-a-brand of perfumes I'm working on with a lovely team right now).

As a perfume nerd - I guess the obvious choices - Guerlain, Lutens, Chanel, Dior... and Elizabeth Arden (only because I used to work for them ).

I'm currently hoping to sample more of TDC's creations. I've tried the bergamot and it is indeed divine. I own Charmes & Feuilles and love it more each day.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Diamond , you must try Love By Kilian , I positively insist , its fantastic
    Very well, sir. I shall put it on my next sampling list...

Basenotes Institution

Chanel Les Exclusifs have me in a fever grip . I'm getting the whole Chanel story now.

I own more than a handful of several lines but the two houses I seem to be best aquainted with are Guerlain (an effort on my part to get to know the history, helped along by the two very well informed ladies at the Guerlain counter here) and the other is Editions de Parfums by Frederic Malle.

I was fortunate with Malle at the outset in receiving numerous samples (mercifully atomisers not 'dab tubes') and have since bought several and also spent time with the few that I would not personally wear. I was attracted to the way there are portraits of the creators at both counters here and have enjoyed looking into the 'back-story' of each perfume and also using that as a springboard into getting to know the work of the indiviudals concerned. For those interested, when Federic Malle was here a couple of months ago launching the candle range he mentioned that there is a scent coming from Carlos Benaim and I wonder if it might be an oriental or a gourmand given the two more impressionistic candles they developed together, Saint de Saints & Coffee Society? It would be interesting if an idea conceived for a candle were to evolve into a perfume. He also mentioned he 'continues to work' with Dominique Ropion so let's see what happens there . . .

Also pretty well aquainted with Parfums de Nicolai, Amouage, L'Artisan, Goutal, Lutens and the earlier TDC releases.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I own more than a handful of several lines but the two houses I seem to be best aquainted with are Guerlain (an effort on my part to get to know the history, helped along by the two very well informed ladies at the Guerlain counter here) and the other is Editions de Parfums by Frederic Malle.

I was fortunate with Malle at the outset in receiving numerous samples (mercifully atomisers not 'dab tubes') and have since bought several and also spent time with the few that I would not personally wear. I was attracted to the way there are portraits of the creators at both counters here and have enjoyed looking into the 'back-story' of each perfume and also using that as a springboard into getting to know the work of the indiviudals concerned. For those interested, when Federic Malle was here a couple of months ago launching the candle range he mentioned that there is a scent coming from Carlos Benaim and I wonder if it might be an oriental or a gourmand given the two more impressionistic candles they developed together, Saint de Saints & Coffee Society? It would be interesting if an idea conceived for a candle were to evolve into a perfume. He also mentioned he 'continues to work' with Dominique Ropion so let's see what happens there . . .

Also pretty well aquainted with Parfums de Nicolai, Amouage, L'Artisan, Goutal, Lutens and the earlier TDC releases.
    Fascinating Mr. Reasonable.
    I really would like to know what Frederic Malle and D Ropion are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. Professionally; selling perfume in general, launching brands, marketing, research, copywriting, the 'house' of XXXX (brand name soon to be revealed, which is a new brand-within-a-brand of perfumes I'm working on with a lovely team right now).

As a perfume nerd - I guess the obvious choices - Guerlain, Lutens, Chanel, Dior... and Elizabeth Arden (only because I used to work for them ).

I'm currently hoping to sample more of TDC's creations. I've tried the bergamot and it is indeed divine. I own Charmes & Feuilles and love it more each day.
    Thank you, Nukapai, for the "insider" view of things. Of the most of one house that I own, it is probably the Guerlains. I like the fact that no (or very little) faux history is involved with the house. (Such as the naming of Jicky...)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Un profumo affettuoso

Well, having been a perfume-nerd for more than 30 years now - i must admit that I have sniffed my way through many houses - but I guess I have some "expert knowledge" on
    Guerlain
    Caron (before and after reformulations)
    Estee Lauder
    YSL
    Paco Rabanne
    Bulgari
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Diptyque
    Annick Goutal
    Rochas
    Editions de Parfums F. Malle
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Jean Patou
    Serge Lutens
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Jean-Charles Brosseau
    Houbigant
    Jo Malone
    Nina Ricci
    Patricia de Nicolai

currently I'm exploring Italian niche-houses, Bruno Accampori, Maria Candida Gentile, Bois, Nobile 1942

Serge Lutens (30 scents)
    Comme des Garçons (28 scents)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur (16 scents)
    Annick Goutal, Caron (11 scents)
    Etro (10 scents)
    Gobin Daudé (5 scents - the whole line)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I've smelled the whole Frederic Malle line, many of which on my skin, wore the content of several vial samples, and bought one, which now I dislike
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and
    (='.'=) paste Bunny to help him
    (")_(") gain world domination

Swap: Vetyverio by Dyptique 100 ml, Habit Rouge by Guerlain 50 ml, Onda EDP by Vero Profumo 50ml, Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens 75ml