Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Dirty English (JC) - opinions/longevity complaint

Out of the relatively few fragrances i own/have tried, ive never smelled anything so downright "dirty"! it smells exactly how it sounds. dirty is obvious and the "english" part makes me think of the leather which i can smell in it. this might become my new "sexy tough guy" scent...but theres one problem! this stuff lasts about 30minutes strongly, then it becomes an extremely close skin scent. i am in fact having allergy and ability-to-smell problems so that could be it, but even so it doesnt seem to project at ALL.

so what are your thoughts on this stuff? i bought it blind for $16 and im pretty happy minus the sillage problem

Default Re: Dirty English (JC) - opinions/longevity complaint

Ya Dirty English has very poor sillage/projection. The scent itself is dry and animalic to me and I'm actually glad it doesn't project because I think it would offend a lot of people. Props on the bottle though, longevity is excellent as well, but it is in fact a skin scent.

I like Dirty English and it's a great deal for 16 bux

fountain

dirty english is a (weak) skin scent indeed.

I too consider Dirty English to be quite weak and short-lived. I mixed it with Quorum, which made a nice hybrid.

I bought a sample of dirty english from fragranceX and applied 4 sprays to my neck, i was very impressed with it and i was getting compliments/inquiries for 8-10 hours, so i bought a 100ml bottle, the first application was a huge disappointment the difference in strength was immediately noticeable and i looked at the box to make sure i had edt and not aftershave, even if i apply 8-10 sprays it is very weak and stays close to the skin.

Here's another one to complain about longevity and I agree that it could be a hit if this wasn't an issue. I'd gladly pay a little bit more in exchange.

Yes, fairly weak, something in it pierced my nose a little and aggravated me. For some reason it even reminded me of Eternity for men, and it's teenage vibe. Also I did not particularly care for the bottle.

I've only sampled, never owned, but I don't get the 'dirt' vibe from Dirty English. I get a wannabe PH1.

I did get an off tone in it, which, to me, was more diesel than dirt. It didn't strike me as daring, just misplaced. I think it's the name, Dirty English, which throws these associations into people's minds. Having said that, my skin eats up a lot of the darkness from scents. Black Aoud is just roses on me, and Muscs Koublaï Khän the smell of skin on a summer afternoon (and not the orgy of repute).

Still, enjoy it at $16 a pop. No one can begrudge top-up sprays at that price.

Not a fan of this one.

I have tried DE both in the summer heat and cooler weather, to me it´s more of a warmer scent.
    As a matter of fact it has better longevity in the hot summer, at least on my skin, lol.
    In the cooler days, uff, poor as hell.

Basenotes Junkie

I get outstanding longevity out of it, better than a lot of other fragrances that people typically say have decent longevity. I think my skin chemistry might be a bit unusual in that regard, though.

Projection/sillage are not that great. It's a skin scent, but it does stay pretty strong up close. As others mentioned, I don't think this is something you want to project anyway.

I personally love Dirty English. It has a very similar dry down to Gucci PH except it's less rich and spicy, and the opening is entirely different. I don't get the pencil shavings note in Dirty English like I do with Gucci PH, even though they both have very similar cedar notes. I prefer Gucci PH for pure composition, but I think Dirty English is actually much more versatile and easier to wear. At its price point Dirty English an absolute steal, but it certainly isn't for everyone. For me, it's great. I used to work in antique restoration and this brings me back to the days of being in the shop with all of the smells of wood and leather. It really speaks to me in a way few fragrances do. I feel like I have a personal connection with it and I wear it without giving a damn weather or not anyone around me likes it.

There's a subtle nagging sweetness in DE that puts me off but, paradoxically, makes it even dirtier. The fragrance created a sensation when it was launched, bringing the idea of a dirty scent to the mainstream, although it's behaved compared to some niche smells. Seems it never quite caught on, but it accomplished its purpose: it's Heathcliff (the Bronte antihero, not the pussycat) scented up, but ever a tad rank in spite of himself.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I think that DE is a decent fragrance for its price. It is unique. Silage is poor but what were you expecting from a fragrance so cheap? It's a good hanging out with the boys scent.

I hate it. Sold it within day's of buying. Cheap and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Here's another one to complain about longevity and I agree that it could be a hit if this wasn't an issue. I'd gladly pay a little bit more in exchange.
    Exactly.

Great campfire vibe from this one. But horrible longevity. Would have done well with an Intense EDP from this one.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I get great longevity with it, but the silliage is not there.