Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default new wardrobe feature - sotd/twitter type thang

Hello

Here's the first thing to come out of "Basenotes Labs". Well, I'm trying to make it sound exciting - but in reality, I was bored of answering emails and spend a few hours coding this evening. There's no lab. I don't even own a white coat.

One thing I've been wanting to finish off for ages it the Wardrobe Feature. It's usable, but not how I wanted it. A feature I wanted to add for ages was a 'Scent of the Day button'. The idea would be that you would press the Scent of the Day button, on the fragrances page - and it would record if for you. I know there are many of you that keep record of what they wear, and this would make it easier - plus give you the option to make graphs and charts etc.

That was the original idea I had a few years ago. Recently, for Plus Members, I implemented the first part - a Scent of the Day button. Now I'm rolling it out to all

All it does at the moment is record it and publish it to a 'live feed'.

So Questions....

How do I use it?

Find the fragrance you are wearing at the moment in the directory and hit the Post as My Scent of the Day button (it's the one below the post as my scent of the day to twitter/facebook links).

Where can I see everyone's scents of the day?

At the moment, you can go here: http://www.basenotes.net/bn_todaysscent.php

What's on the to do list?

Lots! This is very early days.

1. Change the Post as My Scent of the Day button, to something else when a scent is chosen as a SOTD
    2. Allow SOTDs to be deleted in case they were accidentally added
    3. Autopublish SOTDs to Twitter / Facebook et al
    4. Ability to add that Scent of the Day you forgot to add last Thursday
    5. Ability to make your SOTDs private or only viewable to logged in members or people on your friends list
    6. Add an image of the SOTD in the live feed
    7. Easily view all your previous SOTDs
    8. Show your SOTD in the 'postbit' on the forums
    9. Ability to add a comment to the SOTD (so you can say something about it)
    10. Paginate SOTDs on the feedpage (at the moment it will go on indefinitely - I've not paginated it, but just fixed it to show scents in the last 24 hours, which I think most people are interested in. Will add ability to look at historic stuff at a later date
    11. Show stats on the feed page - top fragrances this week etc
    12. integrate this into wardrobes and directory
    13. oh, lots more stuff i'm sure

Any ideas you have will be gratefully heard!
    Last edited by Grant; 11th June 2010 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: new wardrobe feature - sotd/twitter type thang

bump, as thread copied from BN Plus forum kept old date

Works nicely, Grant! (early adopter me, always.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Simply brilliant!

As for suggestions, I think it would be useful to see actual dates there if it's more than '3 days ago', especially when the list grows

Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    Simply brilliant!

As for suggestions, I think it would be useful to see actual dates there if it's more than '3 days ago', especially when the list grows
    I will add this, but it means checking the viewers timezone and adjusting accordingly if they are logged in. The ...days ago is a quick workround for now!

Blog Entries

Cool! I just posted mine. How do I navigate back to that SOTD page?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Cool! I just posted mine. How do I navigate back to that SOTD page?
    There's no permanant link to it yet, but there's a link in the post at the top of this thread . and here

http://www.basenotes.net/bn_todaysscent.php

tried to post my sotd as Creed REL but it didn't work. Just took me to the page and showed what I posted last time
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    tried to post my sotd as Creed REL but it didn't work. Just took me to the page and showed what I posted last time
    Same here, it did that to me twice.... except I'm wearing Kelly Caleche.

looks like I broke it. lets see...

fixed now!

Awesome! Thanks, Grant!

Great feature, Grant! BTW, if I post an SotD not listed in my Tried list, would it be automatically added?

PawelL

Arrow aqokobJpXiYNehaUvMd

zK4bFr <a href="http://eymsxyapnyug.com/">eymsxyapnyug</a>, pcengjdcyshd, [link=http://eyxezdwxkjgo.com/]eyxezdwxkjgo[/link], http://nfdvmbieazqv.com/
    Last edited by Unregistered; 3rd April 2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: uVTFpXQgFqZUZxYSMJ

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Great feature, Grant! BTW, if I post an SotD not listed in my Tried list, would it be automatically added?
    NOt yet, but it will soon.

Fixed:

1. Now shows default avatars where the user does not have one.
    2. Now shows all fragrances worn in the last 24 hours (it was once showing the last 100)

Added:

Top fragrances this week
    Top fragrance worn by you (if logged in)

Grant, what if we'd like to post an SotD not yet listed in the directory?

No functionality for that yet. By next week though I hope to have added about 500 or so new scents so you may be able to post then!

The most recent 6 sotds now feature on the front page

Nice! So easy to do and I get a reminder of the notes for the scent. Thanks.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

This is a great feature, thanks for creating it, Grant! Cheers!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

First: I love this feature!

There seems to be a bug in the "Your top five" list, nothing with a smaller number of wears than Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone will show up in the list. so if AdS is my number two most worn, there will only be two items in the top five list. Is there anything special with the Acqua di Selva that could cause this strange behaviour of the list? The length of the name?
    Last edited by nenugal; 27th June 2010 at 07:44 AM.
    I love cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by nenugal View Post
    First: I love this feature!

There seems to be a bug in the "Your top five" list, nothing with a smaller number of wears than Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone will show up in the list. so if AdS is my number two most worn, there will only be two items in the top five list. Is there anything special with the Acqua di Selva that could cause this strange behaviour of the list? The length of the name?
    No its a sitewide bug.

I also need to split the top 10 lists into worn by men and worn by women too.

I'm looking forward to additions to the directory. I'm wearing Lolita Lempicka Fleur de Corail today, which came out a few years ago but isn't in the directory yet. I'm really looking forward to the tracking features. Since I have a very small perfume budget, I generally try to drain a sample before purchasing, but it will be interesting to see the frequency I'm drawn to different perfumes. Nice work!

Will there ever be an "other" option, for when we are wearing one that isn't in the directory, or just oil or something?
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

I just want to say that I love this new feature, as well, thank you so much, Grant! The Popular With the Ladies/Men is fun; I can't wait to watch it develop!

I'm having trouble staying logged in while I navigate the site. If I go to the directory or to my wardrobe, it says I need to sign in. When I sign in, it takes me back to the home page and then logs me out when I try to go to the directory or wardrobe again. It may be a problem with my phone (I use the internet browser on it), but it worked until a few days ago.

Where did it go?

Found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Found it!
    I'm not sure the best place to put it. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Currently, you can get to it via the link on the front page, editorial, and of course if you add your SOTD

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm not sure the best place to put it. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Currently, you can get to it via the link on the front page, editorial, and of course if you add your SOTD
    Adding it to the Quick Links would be useful.
    "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway

The page shown after clicking the Post SotD button may give the impression that it's not yet posted. Some people have posted the same SotD thrice within 5 minutes. Maybe a minimum time between a member's SotD posts could help avoiding such repetitions.

Blog Entries

Just about SOTD... My "Top 5" is only a "Top 2" right now. A few months ago it randomly went from the normal 5, to 4, to 3, now its at 2. I'm not sure if this is just me or everyone

Sorry Grant but I get this on trying to post my SOTD:

Warning: unlink(/home/basenot2/public_html/ca/sotdside.php) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php on line 38

Warning: unlink(/home/basenot2/public_html/ca/sotdsidecms.php) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php on line 38

Hopefully it'll mean something to you!

ttfn, Kitsch

Grant, I posted Les Nuits d'Hadrien as SotD and it showed as Les Nuits d\'Hadrien in the Today's Frae.grances pag

-----
    Last edited by zliang; 25th November 2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Double post, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Just about SOTD... My "Top 5" is only a "Top 2" right now. A few months ago it randomly went from the normal 5, to 4, to 3, now its at 2. I'm not sure if this is just me or everyone
    I just discovered the feature and I've used it a total of 5 times now - but my top 5 shows only the first one I entered.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

I used it for the 1st time today.

Thanks Grant!

This site just gets better and better! Thanks for all your hard work and innovative thinking Grant!

Grant,
    This may have been brought up but I've been noticing it. There's a backslash symbol appearing before all apostrophes in names like in L'Artisan (it appears as L\'Artisan).

Receiving an error when trying to post to Twitter:
    Invalid Unicode value in one or more parameters /home?status=SOTD:Crown%20Foug%E8re%20by%20Crown%20 Perfumery%20http://prf.me/fjun0

It appears that Twitter doesn't like the - è - when i changed it to an - e - it posted. :-/

Blog Entries

I can no longer find the link to post my SotD on Facebook. Am I just blind to something tonight?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Dependent

You guys gonna kill me, but I have no idea where to ask this: I can't find the wardrobe "settings" button option, that allows us to type notes, that will appear at the top of wardrobe before the listed fragrances. Will this "setting" function be available again?

Edit: Oops I was playing around with the wardrobe and found a link that addressed the issue.
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/149...r-witch-though

Any clue when this may be functional again?

Sorry for derailing and many thanks.
    Last edited by MFJ; 16th December 2010 at 02:23 PM.

Fantastic feature, thanks Grant!

My only ask is if you could make it put a space between the colon after SOTD: when you post to Twitter. At the moment, it just goes like SOTD:Mitsouko which kinda ruins search functionality on Twitter. Hopefully just a simple fix for you.

Also, is there any way in future of being able to type something like @NonScents into a forum, and then that becomes a clickable link to that person's profile, and you could also perhaps find all references like that to that person in forums? They have this functionality on facebook, and of course twitter.

But SOTD is great, thanks again!
    "Plastic people look the same" - Ray Davies

I like this. I think it should get more hype and publicity, though.

Neat feature! I especially like the "post to Twitter" ability. However, when I did that, it seems that the "&" in "Czech & Speake" broke, because my tweet came out as "SOTD:No. 88 by Czech" only. I would also like to note that there is a fairly popular acronym for "Shave of the day" on Twitter, so maybe FOTD (Frag of the day) may be a different option.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Grant,
    This may have been brought up but I've been noticing it. There's a backslash symbol appearing before all apostrophes in names like in L'Artisan (it appears as L\'Artisan).
    Should be fixed now!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasFox View Post
    Receiving an error when trying to post to Twitter:
    Invalid Unicode value in one or more parameters /home?status=SOTD:Crown%20Foug%E8re%20by%20Crown%20 Perfumery%20http://prf.me/fjun0

It appears that Twitter doesn't like the - è - when i changed it to an - e - it posted. :-/
    I've stripped out all the accented characters from the twitter url now, so that should be fine now! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I can no longer find the link to post my SotD on Facebook. Am I just blind to something tonight?
    There used to be one on the directory, but you should be able to replicate it using the Like or Share button. I'll hopefully be adding better FB integration soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NonScents View Post
    Fantastic feature, thanks Grant!

My only ask is if you could make it put a space between the colon after SOTD: when you post to Twitter. At the moment, it just goes like SOTD:Mitsouko which kinda ruins search functionality on Twitter. Hopefully just a simple fix for you.

Also, is there any way in future of being able to type something like @NonScents into a forum, and then that becomes a clickable link to that person's profile, and you could also perhaps find all references like that to that person in forums? They have this functionality on facebook, and of course twitter.

But SOTD is great, thanks again!
    Added the space, will look into other suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by gvantass View Post
    Neat feature! I especially like the "post to Twitter" ability. However, when I did that, it seems that the "&" in "Czech & Speake" broke, because my tweet came out as "SOTD:No. 88 by Czech" only. I would also like to note that there is a fairly popular acronym for "Shave of the day" on Twitter, so maybe FOTD (Frag of the day) may be a different option.
    Fixed now!

Cheers all!

Hey Grant! Love all the amazing changes! Just wanted to let you know that posting "Vintage Tabarome" as an SOTD comes up blank. Also blank in my top five. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Hey Grant! Love all the amazing changes! Just wanted to let you know that posting "Vintage Tabarome" as an SOTD comes up blank. Also blank in my top five. Thanks!!
    Cheers! I've added it to my new bugtracker!

& works fine now. Thanks for the turnaround! This is a nifty feature.

Blog Entries

Grant,
    I noticed that I only have one scent in my top 5. Can I get all five of them back? Many many thanks.

That's always been the case for me... just one scent in the top 5.

I had a top 5 till yesterday, now it's only a top 2...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Small bug, but I keep getting a "Warning: unlink(/home/basenot2/public_html/ca/sotdside.php) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php on line 58" error message whenever I use this feature.

It counts my SOTD, but it redirects me to this error page every time. I'm using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP.

Thank you for the cool "Post as your Scent of the Day" feature. One of my NY resolutions was to keep track of what i've worn each day this year, and this feature makes it so easy. I love it! Your hard work is appreciated!

Coopmom
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Are there more people using this over time? I'm making a point of entering everything I can because it creates usable info out the other end, but there seem to be a lot of posts the the SotD thread as well.

I'm wondering is some extra features would be useful, like "pick me a frag I've rated at least three stars but haven't worn for a month", or "something really old that I've never worn or never rated", or "Nothing with one star" - that sort of thing. Kind of like the random frag link but with dials. The way itunes makes active playlists might be a good interface... you just add in the queries you want and run it.

Also, a way to toggle between "worn xx weeks ago" and the exact date worn would be nice, especially when someone asks "what were you wearing Friday before last"? I often have NFI

Thanks for the feature anyway Grant - I get a lot of use out of it.
    Last edited by ceekay; 17th March 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Vintage Tabarome by Creed doesn't show up if you select it as your SoTD.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Could it be possible to see what the most worn scent of the day was? Have a top 5 ranking of the most used scents of the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Vintage Tabarome by Creed doesn't show up if you select it as your SoTD.
    Good spot - I noticed this too. I think it may be the "" in the name.

Scent of the day isn't working for me since the hack.