Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sex Appeal. Now you don't have to be born with it.

Because I'm the moron I am I can't help liking my SotD thread post. So I repost it here as a thread because some scents don't get the respect their advertising demands.

Jovan Sex Appeal aftershave/cologne For Men.

Here's what the it says on the box so you guys can understand:

"Sex Appeal.
    Now you don't have to be born with it.
    This Provocative, stimulating blend of rare spices and herbs was created by man for the sole purpose of attracting women. At will.
    More than the usual promise in a bottle. It's more like a guarantee.
    Splash it on your face, your neck, your chest. The more you use, the better.
    Because it is truly Sex Appeal. (And man can never have too much.)
    Sex Appeal by Jovan.
    For the first time in the history of the world...
    We bottled it."

Perfect writing for a You Tube review too. It tells you you'll get the chicks, tells you how much you need to use, tells you how to apply it. Tells you it's never been done before. Tells you you'll be transformed like having a wish granted by a genie ("At will.")

And I'm wearing it today. Step aside and let the man go through.
    Last edited by DustB; 6th June 2010 at 07:26 PM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sex Appeal. Now you don't have to be born with it.

Sounds very cool DustB ! Wish I had smell o vision !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sex Appeal is a gem. I find its herbal amber very appealing.

Post Thanks / Like

Aw cool, another admirer of this awesome frag! I love Sex Appeal For Men. I recently posted my thoughts on this one in the Powerhouse Users Group, but in a nutshell, I think this is one of the precursors to the 80s powerscents. I smell a ton of patchouli and spice in this, and it give the frag some real swagger and attitude. It smells to me a lot like KL Homme. Love it.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read that on the box in 1979, my first year (A-Levels, equivalent of year 12) in a co-educational school. Those words were too much to resist by this adolescent with hormones a-raging and zits a-sprouting. Saved up my allowance and bought it. There started a love affair that endures till today. Did it attract girls then? Lets just say it masked other stuff that could have repelled them.

Nice post, DustB.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Sounds very cool DustB ! Wish I had smell o vision !
    Since I'm the one with Sex Appeal, you'd have to keep the smell-o-vision use secret from the man in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Sex Appeal is a really fun fragrance. I'm glad it's getting a shout out like this. Honestly, I got mine as a freebie because I thought the packaging was a hoot, but to my surprise it's a really nice, friendly herbal amber in that retro amber vein. It's never going to be an all-time favorite of mine, but I can say I like it more than any men's designer I've tried from released in the past ten years or so.

I love Sex Appeal for men!
    It is long lasting on me and I enjoy it very much.
    I never heard of this fragrance before, until I noticed my boss was wearing some fragrance that smelled very nice.
    When I asked him what he was wearing, he said 'Sex Appeal'...
    Couple days later, I bought myself some on Ebay.
    Very cheap in price, but what a classy scent!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

ehhmm..one more fan here.
    I love it and it's the only drugstore scent in my wardrobe and I have to have it. Wonderful ambergris, patchouli and spices. I always find it a pleasure to wear this. Don't you wish other Jovans were still available today too? Sport, Andron, Oleg Cassini for Jovan, Germany, France, etc. etc.
    Thanks DustB for the thread.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a bottle of it at a local pharmacy last year, applied it liberally to neck and chest when I got back in my car and couldn't resist the urge to pull over three times on the way home just to grope my own bod. Good smelling stuff.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Being a long time participant at basenotes (Ok not as prolific as Mikeperez or Kbe :-) ) I've realized that despite our best efforts some amount of fragrance snobbery does creep in. This is despite a conscious effort to evaluate a fragrance for what it is and not be prejudiced for its price.

I remember owning a bottle almost a decade ago. Then I bought one again ( I think 2 years ago) for like 10 bucks and then again that snobbery made me give it away to a friend. This stuff is good. It should be liked even more for what it sells for, not pushed into oblivion, as most of us do to cheap but beautiful frags.

Good thread DustB

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know this scent. I'm intrigued by your reviews, it seems to be a nice 70's sexy scent. Its package remembers a....condoms' box!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit (blushing) I actually like the way this smells on a guy. I don't own a bottle because I don't like that particular smell on me...but catching a whiff of it on someone else is a good thing. Seriously.

I can't personally attest to your claim of 'getting the chicks' but that sort of thing isn't a problem for me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th June 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paolo74 View Post
    it seems to be a nice 70's sexy scent.
    I don't think Sex Appeal smells dated at all, or like a typical 70s fougere. What it does have that is common in 70s and 80s frags is a spicy boldness, bordering on being brash. Personally, I don't like the word "brash" to describe this scent because "brash" implies poor quality, and this is a quality scent (though I do like brash scents).

AromiErotici

Sounds interesting. I'm wearing Jovan Sport Scent Cologne Spray right now ( Thanks Henry !!!) and this thread had me looking up Sex appeal. I have never smelled it.

Sport Scent is a greened out lavender with a mossy patch and tabac bottom to it. Retro ? Yes indeed, but still pretty good.

Nice post, DustB. Nice scent with a silly name. I mean, really... It's like those Michel Germain scents with the word "sexual" in them. I think the most blatantly sexual scents don't even refer to sex, such as Alexander McQueen Kingdom, which is redolent of a dandy's armpit.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...fragran_1.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Nice post, DustB. Nice scent with a silly name. I mean, really... It's like those Michel Germain scents with the word "sexual" in them. I think the most blatantly sexual scents don't even refer to sex, such as Alexander McQueen Kingdom, which is redolent of a dandy's armpit.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...fragran_1.html
    THAT......sounds like a frag I can afford to avoid.lol

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    THAT......sounds like a frag I can afford to avoid.lol
    Aromi, I respectfully beg to differ... I can think of no more inspiring a vision than a man covered with perfume from his morning ablutions and having just come from working out (perhaps boxing or from the fencing salon.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th June 2010 at 05:54 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish I smelled anything even a little dirty in Kingdom... It was just kind of bland and transparent on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I really wish I smelled anything even a little dirty in Kingdom... It was just kind of bland and transparent on me.
    Suga, there is a distinct cumin note in Kingdom which smells (for many of us) human sweat. I also think Tom Ford's Black Orchid attempted this impression, though without cumin.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting. I'm wearing Jovan Sport Scent Cologne Spray right now ( Thanks Henry !!!) and this thread had me looking up Sex appeal. I have never smelled it.

Sport Scent is a greened out lavender with a mossy patch and tabac bottom to it. Retro ? Yes indeed, but still pretty good.

Sex Appeal is easily found at KMart for like $15 for a 4 oz. splash bottle. It says "Aftershave/Cologne" on the box, but its got EDT strength and good longevity. At $15 it's worth a blind buy. That's what I did, and I'm glad I did.

I think I also saw this at Wal-Mart.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey gang, it's always fun to have one of these scent adventures, and I think we're all on target here, with Shamu's observation that it's got a '70s spicy bold brashness. It was with me all day yesterday, and oh man, the laydeez just wore me out. Couldn't post about the experience until this afternoon. Anyway, no doubt Perfaddict's younger self will confirm the number of conquests this brings (especially since this is the Internet).

The drawback to the stuff is it's not very complicated. Yesterday I found hand soaps I used to be more interesting to the nose. It makes sense that it's nice to smell on someone you're near, because that doesn't mean you're smelling it all day. But smelling it all day is a bit of a letdown given the scent experiences we've all become familiar with.

AromiErotici

Aromi, I respectfully beg to differ... I can think of no more inspiring a vision than a man covered with perfume from his morning ablutions and having just come from working out (perhaps boxing or from the fencing salon.)
    Okay.......since you put it that way......lol....

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Sex Appeal is easily found at KMart for like $15 for a 4 oz. splash bottle. It says "Aftershave/Cologne" on the box, but its got EDT strength and good longevity. At $15 it's worth a blind buy. That's what I did, and I'm glad I did.
    Sounds good bro. This hobby has a way of taking you full circle if you stay in it long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Hey gang, it's always fun to have one of these scent adventures, and I think we're all on target here, with Shamu's observation that it's got a '70s spicy bold brashness. It was with me all day yesterday, and oh man, the laydeez just wore me out. Couldn't post about the experience until this afternoon. Anyway, no doubt Perfaddict's younger self will confirm the number of conquests this brings (especially since this is the Internet).

The drawback to the stuff is it's not very complicated. Yesterday I found hand soaps I used to be more interesting to the nose. It makes sense that it's nice to smell on someone you're near, because that doesn't mean you're smelling it all day. But smelling it all day is a bit of a letdown given the scent experiences we've all become familiar with.
    Makes perfect sense to me Chris.

Post Thanks / Like

love the after-shave and edc! smells wonderful... cant tolerate it in edt form....

Sounds good bro. This hobby has a way of taking you full circle if you stay in it long enough.

Makes perfect sense to me Chris.
    I agree, Aromi, about the full-circle, too. I adored perfume as a toddler, and wore scent in my teens, sometimes stealing my sister's and mother's perfume and raiding my father's shaving cabinet. In my adult life, I would never pass a perfume counter without spraying a few times. I bought quite a few bottles. Then I wandered into the dreaded area of niche, where I would only be happy sampling the rare and exclusive. Now I wear what my nose likes, irrespective of gender labels or price or the name. It's a happy place to be.

My joys are sampling new scents and the occasional discount store blind buy. A true fragrance journey. I was even happy to buy some D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue soaps and a soap from Richard James.

AromiErotici

I agree, Aromi, about the full-circle, too. I adored perfume as a toddler, and wore scent in my teens, sometimes stealing my sister's and mother's perfume and raiding my father's shaving cabinet. In my adult life, I would never pass a perfume counter without spraying a few times. I bought quite a few bottles. Then I wandered into the dreaded area of niche, where I would only be happy sampling the rare and exclusive. Now I wear what my nose likes, irrespective of gender labels or price or the name. It's a happy place to be.

My joys are sampling new scents and the occasional discount store blind buy. A true fragrance journey. I was even happy to buy some D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue soaps and a soap from Richard James.
    Completely understood. These days, I sample wear and then buy whatever moves me...regardless of designer or niche labels. Price point also doesn't matter. My only problem is that designer release for the past 10 years ( actually longer than that) have left me bored and uninspired. It's not that they're bad fragrances. They're good scents that do nothing for me. They're simply "there" laying on my skin smelling generic...and after 15 minutes, end up smelling like 95% of all the other designer masculines.

I chalk it up to being a "generational" thing. I'm weaned on bold and much louder compositions and am quite sure if my generation had the aquatics as its flagship, my tastes would lean to lower-volume and "fresh" scents. In the end though, all that matters is......" Do I like this scent.....or not"????

fountain

hi guys! some reviewers mention an eau de toilette variant, which i find a tad confusing.
    where i live, sex appeal in only obtainable through online shops, as an 88ml cologne spray.
    what's its longevity and how does it project please?
    would be much obliged to hear from the frag's enthusiasts.
    best wishes, f

Post Thanks / Like

Many american companies simply write cologne spray especially on masculine fragrances. It's not about concentration.
    I don't think there are different versions of sex appeal but I might be wrong.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Many american companies simply write cologne spray especially on masculine fragrances. It's not about concentration.
    I don't think there are different versions of sex appeal but I might be wrong.
    thank you! more comments most welcome.

Not a fan of this scent at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it.

fountain

thank you. how about its longevity and sillage please?

The EDT spray version lasts all day on me.
    The EDC/aftershave splash version only lasts +/- 1 to 2 hours.(I only use the EDC version as an aftershave anyway...)
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

fountain

thank you very much, Snaggy1