Code of Conduct

Question Has anyone tried L'occitane Eau de Contadour?

I've tried digging for some information but nothing's available on basenotes.

I finally managed to get this information on a german website

Top notes: lemon, lavender, sage and juniper
    Heart notes: bitter orange, mint and hay
    Footnote: fern, rose and sandalwood cyst

The Contadour is a plateau in Provence. The fragrance is about a walk on the mountain: it starts early in the morning, the dew is still on the grass. When you increase the sun begins to warm the surrounding area, and arrived at the summit of nature unfold their full splendor.

If anyone owns this, it'd be great if he/she could describe it. Also, how's the longevity/sillage. Thanks

Default Re: Has anyone tried L'occitane Eau de Contadour?

Hi -- no information on this. But thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have never heard of it. Is it an old/discontinued scent? It sounds terrific!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I own a bottle of this. I think it has been discontinued for at least a couple of years, perhaps longer. Based on my experience I would say that the furnished notes are pretty accurate, and give a good idea of what Eau de Contadour smells like.

It starts out dry, bitter and green, mainly a blast of juniper and lavender. But this only lasts a very short time, then the lemon and sage quickly come into play and the scent becomes more broadly aromatic. The middle notes are interesting and offer contrast. The orange is indeed lean and bitter, the mint fresh and lively, and the hay offers a mellow grassiness which builds a bridge between the two. The middle part for me is mainly about the orange and mint. The accord is bracing but not overly aggressive. Over time the heart notes become softer and more subtle as the base notes make their presence known. Among the base notes, the sandalwood seems most prominent to me, a rather dry, lean sandalwood. The rose fills it in with some softness and floral sweetness, and there's just a memory of herbs lingering in the background. There's also a slightly bitter green note, almost vegetal, which might be the fern listed among the notes. It reminds me somewhat of an earthy, pungent, vetiver, but combines with the other elements to form sort of an odd, bitter fougere accord. The overall effect remains dry and woody and green. I like it, but I can see where some people may not.

The entire progression from opening to base is pretty quick, taking about 45 minutes to an hour. The middle notes are clear about 5 minutes into the progression.

I am writing this after spraying it on a little over an hour ago. I've worn it in the past, but it has been so long since I last wore it that I cannot remember anything about the longevity. I'll report back in a couple of hours to let you know how it is performing.

noggs

BTW, the ingredients listed on the box are: alcohol denat, aqua, fragrance, limonene, linalool, coumarin, geraniol, benzyl benzoate, citral, and benzyl cinnamate.
    Last edited by noggs; 1st September 2009 at 04:39 PM.

I also own a bottle of this. For me the longevity and sillage of this scent are fine.

Thanks for a very detailed and helpful description, noggs. That sounds like a very good scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

It has been about three hours since I sprayed it on. It continues to mellow and become more blended and reticent. I'm now noticing the fougere and rose notes more than the sandalwood.

Now that I've smelled it for while I think the ingredient list on the box complements the note pyramid furnished by Gupts, which supplies a more user friendly and generalized nomenclature.

I'm pretty sure the fern accord is a standard fougere formed by lavender and coumarin. The coumarin seems apparent to me now. As I noted in my previous post, it is a somewhat lean, dry, slightly earthy fougere. I think the rose is actually geranium, which adds, along with the coumarin, a bit of a camphoraceous element.

I like the way this scent had progressed. I'm not sure how I would classify it. The base is part fougere, part sandalwood and geranium, dry, with a lean towards the green end of the spectrum. Interesting!

noggs

Now it's 6AM, nearly 12 hours after application. Overnight the drydown has mellowed further and has become soft and a bit powdery, but retains a strong presence. Once again the sandalwood seems more noticeable but has blended with the other elements to form more of a whole. The scent is less green now and more woody and softly sweetened.

Yes, longevity is definitely excellent on this. Sillage is more difficult to judge, but I don't think it projects that much, at least at this advanced stage of the drydown.

I think I"ll amend my previous statement about the time it takes to get from beginning to base. While the base notes are present about an hour into the progression, they take several additional hours or more to soften and blend together.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 2nd September 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Noggs!

mate...I can't thank you enough for the efforts you've put in to review this fragrance....
    It'd would be good to see this comprehensive review posted out in the 'Fragrance review' section of the board...

I have a chance to buy this fragrance unsniffed is why I was seeking help here. Thanks again.

Gupts -- if you don't mind me asking, where are you buying this from? I wonder if they have any more.
    ody
    odysseusm

I found my bottle in a L'Occitane shop in Bangkok while I was on vacation. I have also found bottles of the old neroli here in Saudi Arabia. So don't automatically discount the L'Occitane shops themselves. Most of them have only the newer stuff, but you might occasionally run across some older stock in a few shops.

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Gupts -- if you don't mind me asking, where are you buying this from? I wonder if they have any more.
    ody

Sent PM mate.....

Yes,

I used it from 2003 to maybe 2006 when in became unavailable - even in France! Like most L'Occitane products, the smell is fairly strong to start with but fades to a low 'plateau' after an hour or two. During this time, the top notes are the first to go. The residual, milder smell is warm, a bit like brandy, and not too musky.

The replacement was Badian. I bought one bottle and regretted it. I kept it for a while, used it occasionally as a bathroom air freshener and then threw it out. Then came Eau de L'Occitane. Same story.

Today, I bought a bottle of the new one - Eau de Baux. It smelt really good in the shop, peppery and gingery, a warm zing. It's stronger and more persistent than the old Eau de Contadour. Not in a good way! As the top notes fade, you're left with the smell of a woman's talcum powder. Probably an old woman's talcum powder. It has a cloying, slightly suffocating presence.

And it was the same price as a bottle of Bollinger. Damn!

Any more reviews on this one?? Might buy blind as its at a great price...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

sorry for the double post......
    Last edited by morrison74; 5th June 2010 at 08:26 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I have the only BN review, so check that out for more detail. It is more powdery, more old-fashioned, and less green that I would like.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I have the only BN review, so check that out for more detail. It is more powdery, more old-fashioned, and less green that I would like.
    Thanks odysseusm. I read your review, which gave me a very good insight into the fragrance. Thanks for posting the notes. I'm not all that into powdery scents, so I think I'll stay away...even if it was only $20 for 100ml. That's $20 towards something that will please me.....

I think I was just hoping that someone else had had a vastly different experience....
    Last edited by morrison74; 7th June 2010 at 11:56 AM.

Wanted

Glad my comments helped. The *ingredient list* looks nice, the way they combine isn't so nice, at least for me.
    odysseusm