Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Santos - what year is this bottle from?

So i picked up what appears to be an older bottle of Santos in after shave today. I found it at a mall kiosk hiding behind tons of the usual offerings.

I havent smelled a bottle of this in quite some time and if I remember correctly it was reformulated. So far I've only tried it on the back of my hand but it smells quite dark and much heavier that you would expect an after shave to smell like. The top notes are there but I think I'm smelling mostly woods amber and patchouli. My grand dad use to wear this and every time I smell it it takes me right back.

Does any one know how old this bottle is? I did a little research and i cant seem to find any info in it or when it was reformulated. The ingredients list is also much shorter than what I am used to seeing as well.

CartierSantosAS.jpgCartierSantosAS-label.jpg
    Last edited by Futami; 7th June 2010 at 05:26 AM.

Default Re: Cartier Santos - what year is this bottle from?

Mid to late 1980's.
    In addition, there has never been any conclusive proof that
    Santos has ever been reformulated. Like many other older scents,
    there is a perpetuated myth on basenotes that says many have been reformulated.
    The truth is no-one really knows.
    Last edited by jason_newton; 7th June 2010 at 07:52 AM.

My nose tells me that Santos has been reformulated. Exactly when, I don't know, but it's not the same as it used to be. I've bought vintage Santos, like I used to wear years ago, and it smells just like I remember it; not like the current Santos. I don't need further proof to be convinced of the fact that it has been reformulated.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It has definitely been reformulated. Smells the same (that is, very good) but does not "feel" the same as the 80's juice; as if some original ingredient has been substituted. This didn't stop me from getting a new bottle of the "new" Santos though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thanks Jason! Wow, thats much older than I thought.

Sorry I'll probably be adding to the myth then since I suspect it has been changed as well. Last time I smelled Santos was about 3 maybe 4 years ago at a small perfume discounter in a strip mall and it didn't smell like I remembered but that could just be me. It had been at least 10 years since i had smelled it before then. I must stop by Sephora soon to compare. After further sniffing I'm certain the top notes are a pale shadow of what they once were and the base notes smell amplified. I can now also pick up the honey in background. Which is quite nice.

Also I was reading the ingredient list and it lists hydrolyzed animal protein. Hmmmm don't see that too often. So that got me curious and I looked it up and I wish I hadn't.

http://www.novozymes.com/en/MainStru...al+Protein+HAP

Yuck! It says its usually used as a flavor enhancer.

Edit: I wonder if HAP is used in modern perfumes or if its even listed on the new packaging? Anyone have a newer box?
    Last edited by Futami; 7th June 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    Mid to late 1980's.
    In addition, there has never been any conclusive proof that
    Santos has ever been reformulated. Like many other older scents,
    there is a perpetuated myth on basenotes that says many have been reformulated.
    The truth is no-one really knows.
    We don't need an affirmation from perfume companies (which never would come anyway) to get convinced if a particular perfume has been reformulated. Guerlain or Chanel have NEVER admitted reformulating any of their fragrances. Does Chanel No 5 smell the same as it used to 20 years ago? No.
    I can smell it and if someone is lying and trying to make me believe that it's not true, then sorry, I am not going to believe you.

To be fair, gupts, in the past few years Guerlain has admitted to certain reformulations (like Mitsouko) and stopped production of some scents due to restrictions.

But I don't think Chanel has ever admitted to any reformulations...
    Last edited by tott; 7th June 2010 at 10:41 AM.