Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45
  1. #1

    Default Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Every decade has its classics, as Drakkar,Fahrernheit,etc.. for 80's and AdG,D&G, l'eau d'Issey, etc... for 90's.
    Which scent of the last decade is a classic?
    I think 90's were better for scent's quality, about the last decade I say Body Kouros and Armani Code.
    What's your opinion?

  2. #2
    Dependent Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,325

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Dior Homme I believe ... it's already a classic.

  3. #3
    tott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Dior Homme seems obvious, along with Pradas Infusion d'Iris and Infusion d'Homme.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    What is a classic? Opinion is deeply divided on this issue!
    Anyway, my classics out of 00´s:

    YSL M7 , Rive Gauche PH
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Rochas Lui

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Dior Homme I believe ... it's already a classic.
    True

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    The ones mentioned above +
    YSL Body Kouros
    Terre D'Hermes
    Burberry London
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by paolo74 View Post
    Every decade has its classics, as Drakkar,Fahrernheit,etc.. for 80's and AdG,D&G, l'eau d'Issey, etc... for 90's.
    Which scent of the last decade is a classic?
    I think 90's were better for scent's quality, about the last decade I say Body Kouros and Armani Code.
    What's your opinion?
    I don't think ADG or l'eau d'Issey should qualify as classics, and I think they will ultimately be forgotten. Boss Bottled will make the 90s list.

    As for post-2000, I think we have almost nothing to be proud of.

  8. #8
    timaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    2,482
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    What is a classic? Opinion is deeply divided on this issue!
    Anyway, my classics out of 00´s:

    YSL M7 , Rive Gauche PH
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Rochas Lui
    My thoughts exactly, plus the alreadymentione Terre d'Hermes

    Maybe a Chanel such as AHEB?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    To me Classic means something that even common people that are not into fragrances will appreciate and buy long time after its best years (Fahrenheit, Le Male, ADG are best sellers many many years afters its release if you like it or not).
    From fragrances listed this potential has just Dior Homme IMO.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 7th June 2010 at 11:26 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    I think it could be called a classic if it is still a big seller and widely loved and relevant at least 10 years after initial release: Fahrenheit, Cool Water, Boss Bottled, Azzaro PH, etc.

    But there are some frags I'm reluctant to classify as classic under any circumstances: ADG, l'eau d'Issey, etc. Maybe that's just my personal bias. History may laugh at me for that.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    I don't think ADG or l'eau d'Issey should qualify as classics, and I think they will ultimately be forgotten. Boss Bottled will make the 90s list.

    As for post-2000, I think we have almost nothing to be proud of.
    AdG and l'eau d'Issey were best-sellers and still they're very used from people. In the aquatic category only Cool Water is so popular.
    Boss Bottled is a 90's classic, but the 90's list is very long.
    You're right about post 2000 wasn't a golden age for scents, and the demonstration is the fact that 80's and 90's scents are still so well sold .

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    I would agree with Dior Homme.

    I may be alone in this, but I truly believe Hugo Energise, despite the name, is a modern masterpiece. I'd also like to throw in Trumper GFT, C&S Cuba, Aramis Bermuda Tonic, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, and AdPs Colonia Intensa and Fico di Amalfi.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Dior Homme seems obvious, along with Pradas Infusion d'Iris and Infusion d'Homme.
    I agree with Tott. I might add Terre D'Hermes. It's sad to realize that Guerlain didn't come out with anything memorable in the last 10 years.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    +1 for Rive Gauche PH.
    Current lineup: YSL Opium pH, YSL Rive Gauche pH, Burberry Brit, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, Animale Animale for Men

  15. #15

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Hmmm... off the top of my head, I would say Chergui, L'Air Du Desert Marocain, Idole, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Encre Noire, Sycomore.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Rive Gauche PH

  17. #17

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    From the frags already mentioned I fully second Dior Homme, M7 and Rive Gauche PH

    but even ADP Colonia Assoluta & Colonia Intensa, as well as Cartier Roadster have genuine cult potential
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Dior Homme
    Armani Code
    London

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Well, some of the names that have popped up in the previous posts, although they are BN favorites, are difficult to find in many countries outside Europe and the US, or on the verge of extinction (M7). I like M7 but I don't consider this sleeper as representative of the 2000s. Unlike Dior Homme which somehow captures a typical trend of the 00s: a successful variation on gourmand, not sweet notes, with a feminine touch (iris).

    RGPH was a modern tribute to the 80s (fougères in the 80s were much more popular, take Paco Rabanne, Drakkar Noir, let alone aromatic fougères such as Antaeus or Azzaro PH), so the irony would be that RGPH becomes a 00s classic!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    +1 for Rive Gauche PH

  21. #21

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    My immediate response was Dior Homme.

    What about Rose 31? Has all the elements there if you ask me.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  22. #22
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    M7
    Rive Gauche PH
    Dior Homme
    Terre d'Hermes
    Encre Noire
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    L'dDM
    Black Aoud
    Last edited by KMF; 7th June 2010 at 06:36 PM.

  23. #23
    Kerosene
    Guest

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Dare I say, Curve.

  24. #24
    megatropolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    660
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Rose 31
    Amouage Lyric
    Dior Homme
    M7
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Im the be$t @ thi$

  25. #25

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Dior Homme (in any form), Vetiver Extraordinaire, Fat Electrician, Chergui. Guess I'm pretty much on board with everybody (with the one addition of Fat Electrician).

  26. #26
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,439

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Agreed re. Dior Homme.
    Bulgari Black
    Ladies- Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    My guesses for the scents that will earn their keep well into the century and become iconic of this era:

    • Dior Homme (first one that came to my mind as well)
    • Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere (beautifully done "gateway" version of a classic deemed by many younger crowds to be unwearably iconic or old-fashioned)
    • Frederic Malle Carnal Flower (still one of the most frequently-discussed niche releases five years after its release)
    • Armani Code ("guys on the town" frag of this decade)
    • Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (the female equivalent)
    • Bond No. 9 Chinatown (see Carnal Flower; much-discussed, and the generally acknowledged masterpiece of one of the biggest niche firms today)
    • Narciso Rodriguez for Her (consistently strong seller, and influential - the template for arguably the best celebrity scent of the 2000s, SJP's Lovely, and what trend defined 2000s perfumery more than celeb scents?)
    • Guerlain Vetiver (arguably the best 2000s release from the most lionized fragrance house ever)

    I'm sure I'll think of more, but those stand out clearest in my mind right now.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    ...so it seems that Dior homme and YSL Rive Gauche ph are already classics.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    My guesses for the scents that will earn their keep well into the century and become iconic of this era:

    • Dior Homme (first one that came to my mind as well)
    • Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere (beautifully done "gateway" version of a classic deemed by many younger crowds to be unwearably iconic or old-fashioned)
    • Frederic Malle Carnal Flower (still one of the most frequently-discussed niche releases five years after its release)
    • Armani Code ("guys on the town" frag of this decade)
    • Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (the female equivalent)
    • Bond No. 9 Chinatown (see Carnal Flower; much-discussed, and the generally acknowledged masterpiece of one of the biggest niche firms today)
    • Narciso Rodriguez for Her (consistently strong seller, and influential - the template for arguably the best celebrity scent of the 2000s, SJP's Lovely, and what trend defined 2000s perfumery more than celeb scents?)
    • Guerlain Vetiver (arguably the best 2000s release from the most lionized fragrance house ever)

    I'm sure I'll think of more, but those stand out clearest in my mind right now.
    Guerlain Vetiver? That wasn't even close to being a 2000s release!

  30. #30
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,354

    Default Re: Which post 2000 scent will become a classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver? That wasn't even close to being a 2000s release!
    1961 or 1959 I think.

Similar Threads

  1. Post no. 2000......
    By Mic in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25th July 2005, 09:55 AM
  2. My 2000 Post!
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM
  3. Post no. 2000......
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000