Code of Conduct

Default How quickly can a fragrance turn?

I apologise if this question has been asked before, but I used the search function and a load of pretty irrelevant topics were all I could find.

The fragrance in question is D&G The One. Two year old bottle, kept out in the open, but never in direct sunlight.

Wore it about 7 weeks ago and it was absolutely fine. Today noticed that the top notes were distinctively off, and that the middle/base notes had turned bland.
    I don't know if I'm just imagining it, because it seems so soon for it to go from being completely normal to off. Or is that how fragrances turn, very rapidly?

Either way I don't plan to keep fragrances out in the open any more. Boxed and in the cupboard it is, even if that'll mean a loss of aesthetic pleasure.

Oh, and recommendations for a replacement are very welcome!
    Last edited by RDFCHarry; 7th June 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: How quickly can a fragrance turn?

It's nemesis who is comming to haunt you,
    because you still have that godawfull Animal
    avatar ... it gives me the creeps!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 7th June 2010 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    It's nemesis who is comming to haunt you,
    because you still have that godawfull Animal
    avatar ... it gives me the creeps!

I decided to make it permanent after no one believed us when we said that we saw it as everyone's avatar.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing that in those 7 weeks since you last wore it, the changes reached a point where they became noticeable to you.

I had bottles of fragrance turn on me after a few years in the open, on my dresser, which does not get direct light. And it was the top notes that went first. I think one took about 3 years. Your bottle seems to have turned rather fast.

It is safer to keep the bottles in the dark in your cupboard-- but you could keep them out of their boxes, since it is dark there anyway. At least then you could admire them when you open the cupboard door.

What's the temperature in the room like? Does it vary throughout the year? What's the humidity and ventilation like? How close was it to the nearest heat source?

I keep all my frags on a shelf (out on display) in our bedroom well away from heat and light and I've kept them like that for years. Until recently (when I finished them up) I had frags that were 12-13 years old and hadn't changed one bit, but I live in a house with thick and solid stone walls and pretty good ventilation throughout, so the temperature and humidity in that room hardly varies throughout the year.

After a bad experience with keeping frags in a fridge early on in my frag career (check my previous posts for the full story), I am now of the opinion that, after direct heat and light, sudden changes in temperature and/or varied ranges of humidity are the biggest enemies to frags.

It all depends, I've had some fragrances turn quickly. Paris Hilton went bad after 3 years, Polo Double Black went bad after about 2 or 3, Bvlgari BLV wen bad after 3. I think it'd be a good idea to make a list really of fragrances that more commonly go bad quicker. While some of my frags I've had since 2003 and still smell great. Just keep them out of the sun and if they have caps, try not to lose it. Also avoid buying testers -- as you usually won't know how it was stored, where it was stored, if it didn't have the cap, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    What's the temperature in the room like? Does it vary throughout the year? What's the humidity and ventilation like? How close was it to the nearest heat source?

I keep all my frags on a shelf (out on display) in our bedroom well away from heat and light and I've kept them like that for years. Until recently (when I finished them up) I had frags that were 12-13 years old and hadn't changed one bit, but I live in a house with thick and solid stone walls and pretty good ventilation throughout, so the temperature and humidity in that room hardly varies throughout the year.

After a bad experience with keeping frags in a fridge early on in my frag career (check my previous posts for the full story), I am now of the opinion that, after direct heat and light, sudden changes in temperature and/or varied ranges of humidity are the biggest enemies to frags.
    Temperature is relatively cool. It does vary a bit but not massively. I keep them well away from any heat source. In fact, seeing that you live in the UK too, I imagine our conditions are identical.

Considering your success, it seems weird that mine should have gone off so soon.

Saying that, there is a slight crack on the inside of the lid. Maybe that could have had an effect.