Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I think I'm becoming a niche snob...

i think i'm the opposite... i like classic designer frags.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Does that really make one a snob? If I dislike another person's favorite music, I am effectively judging their choices. But it hardly seems like snobbery.
    I believe one is only a snob if one publicly remarks (and generally in a ... how shall I put this ... less than positive way... yes.) about the choices of others. That's what crosses the line between preferences and snobbery, in my opinion. Mainstream, designer, niche (perfume, music, etc.)... if it smells nice / feels good / is pleasing to/on you, go for it!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    This is the problem. There were some really good designer fragrances from the past, but many of those that dared to push the envelope were not that popular, which is why many of them ended up becoming discontinued. Those that remained till today (and what I would consider interesting) are usually classics, and there are only a handful of them. One can buy them all with one trip to Sephora, but then what should fragrance fans do after that?
    This is where I have to agree to disagree with you. Classics are discontinued for manifold reasons, with bottom line and ingredient quality/cost being just a few. You cannot buy all the classics that are awesome with one trip to Sephora. Just how small is your "list" and exactly what do you consider "Classic gems"?

Yes AromiEritoci... I'd like to challenge any Basenoter to go to Sephora and buy all the classics. (in their classic state.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post

and John Varvatos smells almost exactly like 1 Million.
    this is off topic somewhat but ive been thinking about buying 1 Million blind...is Varvatos REALLY like it because apparently i've had a semi-hidden gem if so!

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    this is off topic somewhat but ive been thinking about buying 1 Million blind...is Varvatos REALLY like it because apparently i've had a semi-hidden gem if so!
    I think those two smell completely different. I've sampled 1 Million and it's super sweet. Kinda headachy sweet. I dont understand the fascination with that fragrance. Varvatos is a smooth sweet that is like putting your nose up to a fresh bowl of cherries kinda sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    This is where I have to agree to disagree with you. Classics are discontinued for manifold reasons, with bottom line and ingredient quality/cost being just a few. You cannot buy all the classics that are awesome with one trip to Sephora. Just how small is your "list" and exactly what do you consider "Classic gems"?
    Well, for whatever the reason they were discontinued, they are no longer available today. The classics I was referring to are fragrances like vintage classics like Habit Rouge, Diorella and Mitsouko, and more modern classics like Fahrenheit, Dior Homme and Aramis. These are what I would classify as referential scents for the class or scents that really took a risk to stand out from the masses.

But I'm not going to go into whether classic designer fragrances are better or worse than niche fragrances. My point is that while one can collect and enjoy these gems, there is only a small finite number of them. In 2-3 months, I'd collected a bunch of what I really enjoy from the designer houses, and now I just feel that there isn't enough left from these houses to keep me excited for the foreseeable future, whereas I've only scratched the surface of what the niche houses have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I think those two smell completely different. I've sampled 1 Million and it's super sweet. Kinda headachy sweet. I dont understand the fascination with that fragrance. Varvatos is a smooth sweet that is like putting your nose up to a fresh bowl of cherries kinda sweet.
    Actually you are right. I sprayed both on both arms and yeah, 1 Million is substantially sweeter than John Varvatos, but after sniffing for a few hours, really I just feel that the former is an amped up version of the latter. You can think of 1 Million as John Varvatos Intense, also with stronger projection and longevity.