Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage Ubar

Default Amouage Ubar

Any fans of Amouage Ubar on this side? Is it bottle worthy?
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Default Re: Amouage Ubar

I love it and have two bottles of the original. A bit too feminine. Agent Provocateur is in the same vein.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 7th June 2010 at 04:12 PM.

I love the modern version; I've never tried the original, but I hear it's more oriental and less floral than the modern one.

I personally think Ubar is fantastic, but it took me a couple runs to really get in its groove. I think it helps if you already like vintage fragrances, specifically women's classics from early in the last century. It's powdery and animalic in a vein that's a little alien to modern styles of perfumery, niche or designer. Lovers of vintage Guerlain and Caron are on more familiar territory than others when smelling this.

To my nose it's a powdery floriental, jasmine, rose, iris, civet, and subtle smoky frankincense all blended into something rich and dark. It smells a little like some old-fashioned scented face-powder, but the edge of civet and frankincense really prevent it from maxing out the quaint'n'dainty factor and make it mysterious and romantic instead.

It's pricey enough I won't own a bottle for a while, but if I ever had to make a list of best fragrances I've smelled, Ubar would definitely rank among the five-stars, and likely my top ten.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 7th June 2010 at 04:28 PM.

I also have Ubar in the original packaging. It's great stuff! It's probably too feminine for most men to wear comfortably. I don't wear it in my daily routine, but do sometimes wear it at home. I love the way it smells.

I haven't tried the version in the new bottle so I cannot comment on their similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I love it and have two bottles of the original. A bit too feminine. Agent Provocateur is in the same vein.

Thanks for your comments. It sure smells wonderful. I agree, it's firmly on the feminine side.
    Last edited by OKJazz; 7th June 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I also have Ubar in the original packaging. It's great stuff! It's probably too feminine for most men to wear comfortably. I don't wear it in my daily routine, but do sometimes wear it at home. I love the way it smells.

I haven't tried the version in the new bottle so I cannot comment on their similarity.
    I'll echo that - I really enjoy it, but find it too feminine to wear out too much. I wear it around home occasionally though. The GF wears it occasionally as well.

(I've also not smelled the new version.. I only have the old one)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

way too feminine. best for older women (60 plus). also, a little trite in a white lace sort of way. perhaps best for churchgoers.

great fragrance though. there are plenty of alluring older women out there.

Don't pull your punches, Pluran. Perhaps trite (classical), yet beautiful. Feminine and gorgeous.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The new Ubar is not "more feminine" than Gold Men, IMO. I actually like to wear it as much as Gold Men. Its animalic richness is (for want of a better description) more luxurious. The only problem i have is that the bottle at home is my wifes, and she treasures it dearly and does not care that i bought it for her ;o). I may need to get mine.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

don't do it!! get a couple of samples to wear, buy yourself Lyric man you'll enjoy it more

I can only speak of the current version. I also can see a resemblance to the Agent Provocateur. Both explore the same idea of combining damascones and artificial (as I was told) civet/musky tones (hey, it almost rhymes). With all that, I would chose Ubar over AP any time (too many synthetic overtones for me in the AP) .

As for the provocateurish 60+ churchgoing ladies, don't we all love them

Banned

for me Ubar was love at first sniff!!

the only perfume i can compare it to is vintage Joy,becasue of jasmine-rose combo! and other floral classics have just too messy base that is many times soapy, powdery and dirty sweet and hence old faashioned to my nose. Ubar smells so modern!

there is no civet note at least not the real one! i am not fan of animalic notes, let alone civet but i do like when perfume has some touch of sensuality! when its full, not watered down, or synthetic
    also i did not see it listed as note anywhere,

but what gives Ubar this sensuality i think comes from jasmine, its indolic parts can smell dirty, but layered on a base of sandalwood that makes it lactonic floral, so nothing powdery at all, its more creamy,lactonic!
    Ubar mixes many beautiful things, beeing lactonic, creamy,complex floral, gentle and longlasting, sweet but airy too, its not oldfashined smell at all!!!

i just wish i know how the vintage juice was like!! with its civet note! becasue i allways go for vintage when i miss the beauty , here i just cant imagine anything better only if its touch more creamy/lactonic , i definitely dont miss civet note

but this is for another topic :modern vs vinatge Ubar

Blog Entries

For me, Ubar is lemony frankincense over an animalic base, with glorious flowers inbetween. ln fact, it has pretty much everything l could want from a perfume. And l am nowhere near 60, nor do l go to church.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hands down my favorite Amouage fragrance. BTW: The current formulation is much better than the vintage IMO; totally different fragrances.

Never smelt old formula but like the new one.

I agree that the new formula is AWESOME and lip-smacking. Dare I say, this is the BEST reformulated scent I have ever experienced. But I disagree that this new one is THAT different from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Hands down my favorite Amouage fragrance. BTW: The current formulation is much better than the vintage IMO; totally different fragrances.