Code of Conduct

Question Perfume solids in a compact

I recall those little plastic perfume solids sold by Avon back in the 1960s--sold in animal shapes or holiday designs. I have always loved the idea of a perfume compact--decorative or elegant--filled with cake perfume. How I love those expensive Estee Lauder compacts, too. Some become quite the collector's item.

Any thoughts?

I have:

Estee Lauder Pleasures compact Bathing Puppy

Boucheron Trouble Secret Seduction solide

Michael Kors Very Hollywood perfume ring

Stella McCartney necklace perfume solid
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th June 2010 at 08:14 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Perfume solids in a compact

Hi!
    Avon still releases solids ;I have the trilogy Today,Tomorrow and Always in solid compacts!
    I also have Fracas by Piguet solid compact
    Solid compacts consists of the most lasting and concetrated perfume oils!
    I am a fan
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Sophi, glad to find a kindred soul. I also know Diptyque also has a selection of some scents in compacts.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have a Lush solid and some Crazylibellule and the Poppies scents. They are really nice to bring with you.
    The Estee Lauders are really pretty little jewels.

I think you can find old Avon solids on ebay and other sites, both with and without fragrance.

I found this site while googling for images.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Basenotes Institution

I had Fracas in solid form but I think I prefer liquid pefumes !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

LOVE solids and am always looking for more. They're great for traveling.

Agree on the Crazylibellule and the Poppies solids. They're quite good, and they're inexpensive, too.

Fragonard also makes solids of some of their scents. I have a tiny tin of their Fleur d'Oranger, which is quite nice.

Hove in New Orleans makes many (all?) of their scents in solids as well, I believe (though they don't mention this on their web site). I have their Vetivert, which is pure vetiver root. Very smoky and earthy. I like to layer it with other scents when I want to bump up the vetiver.

I would love to find an affordable solid of White Linen. Those little compacts are beautiful, but I frankly just want the perfume.

I love solids!

I have the Trouble solid and Sarah Jessica Parker's Covet in a solid. Gorgeous!!!! (Much more wearable than the liquid.)

I used to have a Crazylibellule perfume stick that was cute and had remarkable sillage for a solid.

Lush Karma solid is another one that is not to be missed.

Pacifica makes a bunch of solids in fabulous scents, too. I was sampling Tuscan Blood Orange and Lotus Garden at Whole Foods the other day. Delish!

http://www.pacificaperfume.com/fragrances/shop

How's the longevity of the Pacifica solids, compared to the (lousy) longevity of the sprays?

Those tins are so darling, I'm tempted to buy them just because of that!

My Wife has Union Square by Bond No.9!!
    I have Wall Street by Bond No.9!!
    These are Great for travel.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    How's the longevity of the Pacifica solids, compared to the (lousy) longevity of the sprays?

Good question! Longevity is so-so, but for $8 or $9 bucks each, I wouldn't feel bad about needing to reapply in a couple hours.

(Longevity was excellent on the Crazylibellules, if you want more bang for your buck. )

Ohhh! I forgot about L'Occitane! I have the Green Tea in a solid. Very strong aroma with decent longevity and so affordable, too!

I like Lush's solid perfumes - they're nice little pick me ups, but don't have enough scent for a full days wear, IMO.

I'm dying to try some of Aftelier's solid perfumes, but they're pricey. The cases are gorgeous, though.

Isn't it sort of amazing that Dior has never come out with a line of poison rings, containing the various flavors of Poison? Even aside from the pun, the bottles are in the perfect colors to make gorgeous cocktail rings!

I also like the Crazy Libellues lines. Cheap and fun. I bought two from the Les Garconnes collection.

I will have to try the L'Occitane, but I am not too fond the their green tea scent. I prefer their EDP Iris and the Labdanum.

Finally, Poison rings would lend so much to the "mystery" of the scent Poison, which smacks of danger...just like the days of the Medici and their intrigues!
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Hillaire

I had an Avon solid pen of Tasha; it was actually really great.

I am DYING to hear a report of the Amouage solids, as I love the idea of rubbing on Gold or Dia in that form, and the compacts are LOVELY. Anyone???

The Leiber solid compacts are divine, and I am looking forward to owning one. Great scent, btw.

Basenotes Plus

Another fan of perfume solids here. I find them not only conveniently portable but also a wonderfully sensual way to apply fragrance. There are some seriously beautiful compacts out there, the Lauders go without saying. That Amouage compact is stunning!

I have and love the Boucheron Trouble solide, also had a couple of Crazy Libelulles which were nice. I had less luck with a Molinard solide in Iles d'Or. I loved the scent but the consistency was awful, draggy and hard to apply. Wouldn't smooth on for anything.

I once lucked into an incredible, pristine solide of Caron Aimez-Moi on Ebay. Instead of a waxy solid, it was finely milled pressed powder and came with a small brush for applying. It was glorious, absolutely true to the scent, the extrait to be exact. The case was round and swiveled open and was in a matte metal goldtone with "CARON" printed across the top. A beautiful thing.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I like the concept of a perfume solid, but I also like the artistry that goes with some of the packaging. Those Lieber mini minaudieres are beautiful....little works of art. I like Crazy Libelules scents but the cardboard tube, while economical, does not inspire breath-taking awe.

Yes, the Estee compacts are wonderful.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I have the spray and solid in Waikiki Pikake-- the solid lasts longer than the spray but has less projection, (not surprisingly.) I prefer to save the solid for really warm weather; it was perfect for our Florida trips recently.

My only complaint is that the little tins are a bit of a nuisance to open.

is there a protocol on using solids? Swirling the fingertip or scraping with a fingernail? LOL!

Basenotes Plus

I remember when I was a kid my mum had an Estee Lauder compact in the shape of an elephant, I was fascinated buy it. It must have contained Beautiful because it was her signature scent at the time.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    is there a protocol on using solids? Swirling the fingertip or scraping with a fingernail? LOL!
    Ha! This is exactly my problem with these solids! I love the beautiful compacts they come in, but I'm so tempted to just claw at the fragrance and rub it all over! I think they're meant for a more discreet use of the fragrance - lol. I've got quite the heavy sprayer finger too, Mimi!

Oh, I don't want greasy waxy perfume solid under my fingernails, bleah! I vote for finger-swirling, even though it sounds mildly disreputable.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    I remember when I was a kid my mum had an Estee Lauder compact in the shape of an elephant, I was fascinated buy it. It must have contained Beautiful because it was her signature scent at the time.
    Yes, I remember going with my mom to the Estee Lauder counter and ogling at all the compacts while she bought her make up. I remember they had a really cool one in the shape of a lion that I loved. Good times.