Code of Conduct

Default New to basenotes, what niche colognes do you recommend?

I am new to basenotes, what niche colognes do you recommend? I have a little bit of Creed green irish tweed and original vetiver, Bond 9 chez bond and new orleans, Clive Christian (traveler sample sized bottles) 1872 x and no 1, and many mainstream scents that I gave up on.

Are there some great niche brands and or scents I should smell?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to basenotes, what niche colognes do you recommend?

I personally would recommend exploring the Frederic Malle and Serge Lutens fragrances lines, and perhaps some from the Comme des Garcons, L'Artisan, and Tom Ford Private Blend line. These are some of the most talked about on Basenotes, though there are literally thousands of niche perfumeries out there; the selection is endless.

As for which particular fragrances to try, read some of the descriptions and reviews in the directory and see what appeals to you. There really is no right answer, just forum favorites and so forth; it all depends on what you enjoy in a fragrance.

Have fun exploring!

Thanks.
    I am pretty bored with my scents, and my wife picks the same scent in a different brand all the time. She loves any bottle painted black! I am just getting ideas from people with taste. Anytime a guy starts paying attention in the fragrance dept, all sales people tries to get me to smell the scent they are pushing that day.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes!

Some I would suggest trying are:

MDCI Invasion Barbare
    By Killian Straight to Heaven and Back to Black
    Frederic Malle Noir Epices
    Serge Lutens Chergui and Ambre Sultan
    Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille and Moss Breches
    Parfums de Nicolai New York, Nicolai pour Homme and Patchouli Homme
    Le Labo Rose 31

Happy sampling!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th June 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Montale
    Heeley
    Different Company
    Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
    Thanks.
    I am pretty bored with my scents, and my wife picks the same scent in a different brand all the time. She loves any bottle painted black! I am just getting ideas from people with taste. Anytime a guy starts paying attention in the fragrance dept, all sales people tries to get me to smell the scent they are pushing that day.
    At least your wife buys scents!

Also, learn to ignore the sales staff and just use your OWN nose to decide. They have been paid to push the latest "launch."

Do not let pricetags dictate to you, either. Some niche scents can be found for well under $100 for the 50 ml size.

I would give the Parfum d'Empire line a try.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I meant she has me buy scents in black bottles when we shop together...

Post Thanks / Like

Rose 31
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia
    Gendarme

Unfortunately, none of them come in a black bottle
    Last edited by adonis; 8th June 2010 at 03:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there are tons of great niche scents to be sure. Don't worry about the bottles.

I kind of advocate poking around in here a bit. We don't know you well enough yet to guess in a direction you'd like. Read forum comments and follow up with scents that catch your eye in the directory.

When you've settled on some that seem interesting, consider popping for samples via The Perfumed Court. I'd advocate a test wear since many niche frags get pretty pricey (as you know with GIT and Clive Christian).

Now, I'll toss out some to consider in spite of that. You bought that Clive Christian "Traveler" set which was what started me in Basenotes. You've also got GIT, which was my first niche scent, so I feel a bit of common ground. So let me toss these at you for consideration:

Tom Ford Private Collection
    Though they're all pretty much billed as unisex, they're pretty masculine to me, or just brilliantly designed unisex scents. I just started trying them and they've all been impressive. I like Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille, Italian Cypress. Wow. They kind of freak me out cause I just discovered them.
    Editions de Frederick Malle
    Noir Epices is very unique and POTENT. His men's vetiver and geranium are distinctive.
    Creed
    There are a ton of great Creeds other than GIT (which I'm now wondering if you have because it's a black bottle).
    Le Labo
    Rose 31 is a must try for you if I'm correct we have similar tastes. Don't even think about not sampling it.
    Serge Lutens
    A lot of these not masculine enough for me, but pettruccijc is dead on with Chergui and Ambre Sultan. I like the Sultan...
    L'Artisan
    A lot of these are too light for my tastes, but they make many good scents.
    Guerlain
    Probably not niche per se, but they are not in many cases as available as most department store scents. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme is a killer. Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier a current favorite. You'll have to dig for these.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 8th June 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A Taste of Heaven By Kilian.....plus all of the By Kilian bottles come in a sleek black bottle with a handsome box to store it. The travel atomizer is cool too.

sample all the Creeds you can ,trust me.

Post Thanks / Like

For some great traditional ones, try Lorenzo Villoresi and Santa Maria Novella

I really like cologne.... for what type I am looking for is fine men's cologne that isn't identical to what I have.
    I did like some of the Tom Fords when I smelled them before (tobaccos and leathers). But just because colognes are sold at Saks and comes with a higher price, doesn't mean it really is a nice cologne. We don't have a Neimans in New Orleans.... I know it is hard to make a recomendation to a stranger, but I am just looking for nice companies that use fine ingredients that doesn't smell like a turd I am trying to stay away from RL, Armani, and other mass marketed products that give me headaches.

From lurking around here for a couple of days...
    Creed MI and portugal, i already have GIT.
    A lot of different fragrance by killian
    Tom Ford's private line
    and a lot of different names I have to print out because I can't remember them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My first niche was Lutens Fille en Aiguilles. It doesn't even smell like a cologne! It is more like a cedar chest or something. This makes it easy to wear at the office or near fussy frangrance haters! On the other hand, it would be out of the running at a club or other high-intensity fragrance environment.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is hard to make a recomendation to a stranger, but I am just looking for nice companies that use fine ingredients that doesn't smell like a turd I am trying to stay away from RL, Armani, and other mass marketed products that give me headaches..
    All the suggestions in here so far meet that requirement. The question is will you like it. Many are not commonly available in many, if any retail stores in New Orleans. You've got put in some leg work in the directory to see which you think are worth pursuing via purchasing samples from Luckyscent or The Perfumed Court.

Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I love all of these suggestions (make me want to try them ALL). Is Hermes considered niche or mainstream?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronni View Post
    I love all of these suggestions (make me want to try them ALL). Is Hermes considered niche or mainstream?
    It depends on who you ask, but I'd call their mainstream offerings ( Terre d'Hermes, etc. ) designer, and the Hermessence line ( Ambre Narguille, ect. ) niche.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 8th June 2010 at 08:36 PM.

I would suggest Avon's Mesmerize for men, actually. The reason is that it is niche-like but costs next to nothing. Why spend a couple of hundred dollars on something you like now, but might despise a month from now? There are plenty of "cheapos" like this out there, and you can get ones that represent the different genres, play around with them, and after a few months start to sample the more expensive ones if you feel a need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ronni View Post
    I like hermes eu de orange sold in a green bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It depends on who you ask, but I'd call their mainstream offerings ( Terre d'Hermes, etc. ) designer, and the Hermessence line ( Ambre Narguille, ect. ) niche.
    thank you.

Black Bottles I have or Had
    Creed GIT(which is one of my favorites), Clive christian X, Bond New Orleans, and RL double black(which I don't wear); I used to have armani black code, and Kenneth Cole Black but I had to give them away because I get headaches and swollen throat from them.

Speaking of Killian, they look pretty Bi Gender. The sample pack has many scents, are they all guys scents?

Le Labo Rose 31....
    Does the 1/2 oz size or any of the sizes come with a spritz top?
    I am unsure between picking 3 samples for 50 dollars or picking the 1/2 oz size of rose31 for 50.

does anyone know about the by kilian sample pack for 140? Is it by gender? Or male fragrances?

Post Thanks / Like

Le Labo Rose 31....
    Does the 1/2 oz size or any of the sizes come with a spritz top?
    I am unsure between picking 3 samples for 50 dollars or picking the 1/2 oz size of rose31 for 50.
    Yes, you can get the 1/2 oz with a spray applicator. BTW, Theperfumedcourt.com sells Rose 31 as well - smaller sized amounts so you can try it and you'll have a little $ left for other samples.

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...ABOROSEDW.aspx

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...E-JOINTdw.aspx
    Last edited by adonis; 15th June 2010 at 10:21 AM.

I just ordered by killian back to black and straight to heaven, and le labo rose 31 from the perfumed court. I just got creed erolfa for fathers day

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant she has me buy scents in black bottles when we shop together...
    You are in luck. The By Kilian line is predominantly black!

Great that you're trying 2 of the favorites:-

Back to Black
    Straight to Heaven

But also try:

A Taste of Heaven
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 24th June 2010 at 06:27 PM.

My first two would be Creeds and Frederic Malles. Maybe move on to Tom Fords and Serge Lutens after that. To me Serge Lutens is either full on hit or full on miss, some are extremely amazing some are just potpourri scents (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    At least your wife buys scents!
    I couldn't agree more!

Niche brands are like everything else, it depends on what you like. The only advice any of us can give is Have Fun Exploring! At least exploring niche perfumes is more fun. How do you like the Creeds and Bonds you have?

Personally, my favorite niche lines are Le Labo, Tauer, Parfumerie Generale and Amouage. Actually, I could make that list a lot longer but I'll stop there.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I really like creed. I like my New Orleans bond, dislike the chez bond even though it smells good as it is too strong to wear. Le labo rose 31 just came in this afternoon. It smells good, but I haven't worn it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like creed. I like my New Orleans bond, dislike the chez bond even though it smells good as it is too strong to wear. Le labo rose 31 just came in this afternoon. It smells good, but I haven't worn it yet.
    Cool. Have fun experimenting. Only 2 sprays of the Rose 31 for starters. It'll smell differently a half hour later.

Initial Thoughts:
    Rose 31 smells great. It did smell a little overly flower like. Once the perfumed court sample came in i sprayed it on a sheet of paper. My wife said it smelled just like estee lauder "silver" women's perfume which was her signature scent a long time ago. In 5 minutes she said this smells like a man and she unsuccessfully scrubbed it off. She does really like it for me. It smells better on and after it settles for a few minutes. Thank you for recommending it.

Back to black: I like it a lot but my wife hates it. She smells violet candy and powder. I don't smell any tobacco in it, but the honey smell is cool. I'd buy this scent in the bigger size if my wife liked it at all. After wearing it for a couple of hours the powder and honey smell was all that was left. I think in the summer killian honey smells better on than vanilla (tom ford).

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

buy kerosene copper skies its a great fragrance