Code of Conduct

Default Some colognes make my throat swell up....

Some colognes make my throat swell up, but I love to wear it lol.
    I used to wear cologne everyday. I got to the point where I got frequent headaches, and my neck would swell up.

After not wearing it for a few years, I recently got into higher end brands that don't irritate me. For all I know it is in my head, but part of me thought synthetics, chemicals, or solvents used in cheap cologne gave me allergic chemical sensitivity.

I have asked two general physicians who would gladly prescribe steroids, and a Ear Nose Throat doctor who said it isn't my thyroid or throat at all but salivary glands! They would swell up and get hard. He promised it wasn't cancer, offered a CAT scan which he recommended against because if it was a problem he could just remove the gland altogether.

Does anyone else have this happen to them with certain scents?

Default Re: Some colognes make my throat swell up....

I don't think it has much to do with synthetics versus naturals. Many synthetic chemicals are also found in nature. an obvious example being vanillin, which can be manufactured but quite naturally occurs in vanilla extract.

That being said, there is something in Parfumerie Generale's Bois Blond that makes me allergic to it, and it seems worse each time I'm exposed. My sinuses clog up, my nose runs, and I get a rash on my skin. Not nice, yet otherwise it would be an all-time favorite fragrance.

I am not allergic to anything though. (except cats give me eczema) How do I found out what in a scent gives me problems to prevent buying another cologne that might give me a problem?

I would imagine that "natural" ingredients (the term makes little sense to me) would be more likely to aggravate allergies. Every allergy I can think of is to some plant, animal, or mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
    I am not allergic to anything though. (except cats give me eczema) How do I found out what in a scent gives me problems to prevent buying another cologne that might give me a problem?
    Just sample I guess.

Unfortunately Zino makes my nose stuff up and my eyes itch. I wish it didn't because I love the smell.

I have had some throat irritation after being exposed to the continuous sillage of some strong fragrances.
    Coincidentally I was thinking about this subject this morning.

When I woke up today and I was still in bed, I felt a bit of discomfort in my throat. I could just tell that it wasn't that I wasn't well but this irritation was due to the continuous inhalation of the sillage that my Tuscan Leather was belching out throughout the night. I had done some liberal spraying on my chest yesterday and the seemingly powerhouse that TL is, it continued playing its character and refused to die.

A thought just came to my mind that if I am not showering before going to bed (particularly on days when I wore strong fragrances),it's better that I wipe my chest and arms so as to remove traces of scent from the skin. This might just prevent the continuous inhalation of chemicals at night.

Sometimes in an effort to extract more longevity, we tend to overspray and as a result we are exposing ourselves by inhaling the fragrance with every breath we take. This exposure can be the cause of soreness in the throat.