Code of Conduct

Default Is 70's-80's Chanel for Men Cologne the same as Pour Monsieur Cologne

We're not talking about the concentree. That is another beast altogether.

I've seen vintage magazine advertisements on ebay that say Chanel For men Cologne and some that say Chanel Pour Monsieur Cologne.
    Why did Chanel tweak the name?
    Are they the same scent?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is 70's-80's Chanel for Men Cologne the same as Pour Monsieur Cologne

Yes, same scent. That's the one. The American market in particular probably called for the "For Men" label in marketing, but it's the same thing we're talking about when we mention the edt that is not the concentree of Chanel Pour Monsieur. The same thing explains the use of "Cologne"--it's for the market that says men wear "Cologne" and women wear perfume. It is edt and not edc, however, despite the marketing word.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Is 70's-80's Chanel for Men Cologne the same as Pour Monsieur Cologne

Just thought I'd update things a bit. I recently acquired a "For Men" aftershave splash version of this from a relative (fortunately, he had never opened it). I just tried a tiny drop, but I could tell that the ingredients are high quality and the blending is excellent. Even though it's an AS, the longevity was very good, though it is more of a "skin scent," at least in this formulation. I recently sampled the new, Concentrate version and hated it, but this one is incredibly good. No, it's not powerful nor "exciting," but it's the kind of frag that allows you to enjoy the interplay of a small number of well-selected ingredients. Compare that to the simple frags of today !

I recently won a vintage bottle of the British version of the original Chanel - they call it "A Gentleman's Spray Cologne."
    I find it a little on the bitter side, but it could be that it's aged quite a bit.
    They do still make the original formula, but much like the current formulation of Antaeus, the Pour Monsieur cologne (not Concentree) is not as rich as the vintage stuff.