Code of Conduct

Default Making the Transition? Designer to Niche

After checking a bunch of different "niche" fragrances at nordstrom and bloomingdales i did like some and i can see why people would rather buy niche then designer stuff. (doesnt matter which i checked)

My only issue is the price tag. I understand that exclusivity cost, but i cant justify paying over 100 for a bottle. My collection is only getting bigger and i find myself buying more fragrances then i used to be, but as of right now it is starting to get a little expensive, but if i start collecting Niche it will be a problem.

I am not saying it is a waste of money; not at all.
    I am a 20 y/o college student with an inconsistent job (i tutor hebrew in my area)

I would like to add some niche fragrances to my collection but i dont know where to start, or better yet; what to start with.

My question is basically what are some good "introductory" niche fragrances that wont cost me too much?

Default Re: Making the Transition? Designer to Niche

I came from Le Male to Serge Lutens' Chergui... only because I read a recommendation considering this a "nexus".. quite fateful personally

sell off your frags you do not want, thin your wardrobe and you will have some extra cash.

AromiErotici

1.) Sell off all bottles you don't love.
    2.) Take this money and add it to whatever amount you can afford for fragrances.
    3.) Decide which niche you love ( from sampling) and is bottle worthy.
    4.) Buy the niche and be satisfied with them until they are gone.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    My question is basically what are some good "introductory" niche fragrances that wont cost me too much?

Parfum d'Empire is a house worth exploring. Reasonable prices for substantial scents. Try: Ambre Russe, Eau De Gloire, Cuir Ottoman.

Parfums de Nicolai is another. Try: New York, Patchouli Homme.

The smaller bottles from these houses are below a 100$ if I recall right.
    Last edited by MFJ; 8th June 2010 at 06:46 AM.

If you find a niche scent you like, try buying a small sized portion/decant through scentsplits. Markups aren't very much and you can enjoy your favorite niche scent at a reasonable price. I could also never see myself finishing such potent scents like Black Aoud, so a small size will last you quite a while. I don't see much of a point of owning large bottles of some of my favorite niche scents.

Good Luck!!!

Gendarme EDC is $60
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia is $85
    Geo F Trumper Colognes are around $70
    Tam Dao is around $80
    Last edited by adonis; 8th June 2010 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Parfum d'Empire is a house worth exploring. Reasonable prices for substantial scents. Try: Ambre Russe, Eau De Gloire, Cuir Ottoman.

Parfums de Nicolai is another. Try: New York, Patchouli Homme.

The smaller bottles from these houses are below a 100$ if I recall right.

Thanks i will try to look into these scents.

It isnt the money. i could afford expensive scents, but at this point i cant justify it.
    I am looking for transition scents from simple designer into niche fragrances, which will help me appreciate the expensive ones better.

At this point i cannot justify jumping from 50~ a bottle to 200~ a bottle.

I did get a chance to check few different ADP colonia and i do like their stuff. I did like few of the Mediterranean ones they had at the sephora near my house. Tuscan Cypress was a very interesting fresh scent
    Last edited by Kbar; 8th June 2010 at 06:57 AM.

I agree with Parfums d'Empire. Quality scents and unique without an enormous investment.

Of course, sampling is the way to go. Buy samples and decants.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 03:40 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

If you're not ready to put down the money for a full bottle, a split or a decant would be the way to go I reckon. You can arrange a split here in the marketplace, or some people will do large decants at Crystal Flacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    If you're not ready to put down the money for a full bottle, a split or a decant would be the way to go I reckon. You can arrange a split here in the marketplace, or some people will do large decants at Crystal Flacon.
    If you're a person with several scents already and wear a variety, there is a lot to be said for buying small decants. The Perfumed Court or Crystal Flacon will sell 8ml vials for most of the niche scents you'll see frequently mentioned in here. Yes, it's a bit like wine in a resataurant in that the cost per ml is higher than a full bottle. But, it gives you a chance to see if you really like a scent, and the initial outlay is much less than a full bottle.

Post your wardrobe! You may get more specific advice if we can see what your interests are.