Code of Conduct

Default How to ease one's way into the By Kilian collection

I've heard so many things about By Kilian, and I'd love to find a fragrance of theirs that I can really get my money's worth out of... however I'm not sure exactly how to dive in and get that experience without dropping nearly a hundred dollars for their "sample pack." Anyone have any experience with their collection that could offer some input as to how to get acquainted with their fragrances?
    Last edited by AlexbroPA; 8th June 2010 at 06:31 AM.

Default Re: How to ease one's way into the By Kilian collection

Fortunately, I have an excellent store nearby, where I went on a By Kilian sniff 'n' spray excursion...
    I even got a sample... I ended up pretty underwhelmed, though I want to give "Back to Black" another try. I remain suspicious when frags get this expensive.
    Last edited by Larimar; 8th June 2010 at 06:36 AM.

I wanted to buy that sample pack too. I don't know how I feel about sharing several fragrances with only one sprayer cap.

Just pick up some samples from Luckyscent. While many of them aren't done justice without properly spraying (you can always get little plastic atomizers from the common 2.5ml sprayers and plunk them in those 1ml vials), $4 a sample is a much easier way to see if you would even want to try more of a given scent.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

If you have a Saks near you just stop at the By Kilian counter. Spend some time with the SA and dig deep into the frags with them. They have .5ml sample sprays that I'm sure you could get a few of if you really show an interest in them. I ended up with 3 of each frag and I ended up purchasing the travel atomizer with A Taste of Heaven, the next week.

Basenotes Plus

Yup. Sampling is the way to go. But if I'm the sort who put 'value for money' on top priority, By Kilian would put that severely to the test.

Perhaps you can tell us what kind of scents you like. Then we can point out the ones you shd sample from the line. Saves the hassle of getting all the samples imo.

I get the impression that its love it or hate it with By Kilian , some say they are overrated and some say you are paying for the packaging . Sure they are seriously pricey but you gotta give em a try - they are worth every penny IMO . They definatly need some time spending with as - the ones I have tried at least - are very dense and rich beasties ......

By Kilian has a different marketing target. Their offerings are unique, luxurious, ultra-high quality, they have amazing projection and longevity and opening the package and spraying it on your neck/body is a certain experience you only get with By Kilian's perfumes.
    About the price... as you might have figured it out, it targets people with above than average financial resources.

From their releases I very much enjoy A Taste of Heaven, Back to Black, Liasions Dangereuses, Beyond Love, Love, Cruel Intentions. My honest opinion is to look for a 30ml decant when you are ready and you have already sampled their perfumes, it will be much cheaper.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I agree with sampling first. The cost of a full bottle, IMO, is too steep for a blind buy. You can also purchase some scents in the travel case. This allows more economy in buying. I am not sure if the newer scents can be bought this way, however.

I adore Back to Black, which is my fav scent in this line.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Back to Black is my number 1 too Primrose , its fantastic isnt it The whole range appart from Rose Oud and Pure Oud are available in the travel sprays

Hey all,

Sorry for the extended absence.. been caught up in a whirlwind of things over the past few weeks. Thanks a lot for all the great advice, I'll definitely check out Luckyscent's decants.

As for what kind of fragrances I like.. I think my wardrobe speaks for it fairly well. I like strong, dark fragrances like London, John Varvatos, and Kiton Black. While I do have a few spring / summer fragrances, I find I'm more drawn to the fall / winter type, so were I to drop such a hefty investment into a bottle of By Kilian, I'd probably want it to be a darker, richer fragrance rather than a light aquatic or floral.

edit: Looking at the page on Luckyscents, I have a question or two:

(http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...By_Kilian.html)
    "L’Oeuvre Noire Collection
    He’s named his first collection of fragrances L’Oeuvre Noire and broken them into three distinct parts: feminine (theme: ingénues, a mix of tender sweetness and awakening wiles); masculine (theme: artificial paradise, the dark side of beauty) and unisex (theme: the Parisian orgy, a source of desires, transgressions and pleasures of the flesh).
    "

1. What does "L’Oeuvre Noire" translate to?
    2. Which of his first collection are considered which, when it comes to 'masculine,' 'feminine,' and 'unisex'? Basenotes has them all listed as unisex.
    Last edited by AlexbroPA; 16th June 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Translated it means The Black Out

Straight to Heaven and Back To Black are definatly unisex IMO

Blog Entries

If you like dark and brooding, definitely try Back to Black. If you've smelled Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, imagine that with honey instead of the vanilla and that's a ballpark idea of what it smells like - pipe tobacco, clove, and super-rich honey.

Straight to Heaven is woods and incense, which I usually love, but it has a papery rosewood note in there that I didn't care for.

Their others are nice, but either very feminine or just weird (absynth, lavender, and oud, anyone?)

I second going to Saks and making friendly with the SA. They're quite generous with the samples if you seem serious.

Side note, if you're into candles at all, their candles are awsome.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I doubt you can ease your way into By Kilian. Sure, you can get samples but you'll never be able to buy a bottle at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by Ronin; 17th June 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Straight to Heaven is woods and incense, which I usually love, but it has a papery rosewood note in there that I didn't care for.
    Not saying you're wrong since everyone perceives things differently, but I don't get any incense in StH. Cedar wood, sure, plus sweet rum and patchouli, and a slightly sweet vanilla-ish base, but I've never gotten incense or rosewood. I just don't want the OP to be put off in case he dislikes those you noted.

That's just me though... my bottle of StH is relatively old in its history though - By Kilian does have batches though and each year is different so I'm only speaking to what I have.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

If you like dark and brooding, definitely try Back to Black. If you've smelled Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, imagine that with honey instead of the vanilla and that's a ballpark idea of what it smells like - pipe tobacco, clove, and super-rich honey.

Their others are nice, but either very feminine or just weird (absynth, lavender, and oud, anyone?)

I second going to Saks and making friendly with the SA. They're quite generous with the samples if you seem serious.

Side note, if you're into candles at all, their candles are awsome.
    I do like scented candles.. but I couldn't justify spending a fortune on them :P

StH sounds interesting. BtB does too.. but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a heavy honey flavor. I like subtle sweet notes.. not overpowering ones. What's the word on Cruel Intentions?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
    StH sounds interesting. BtB does too.. but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a heavy honey flavor. I like subtle sweet notes.. not overpowering ones. What's the word on Cruel Intentions?
    For me STH is the stand out fragrance from the line. Cruel Intentions one of the heavier ones so you may like it in that respect. It's very woody and balsamic and while I found it interesting I also found it difficult to wear. It's definitely not a pretty scent at least not to me. It's meant to be reminiscent of oud but it doesn't smell anything like it.

BTB is really nice. The tobacco, chamomile, honey accord is unique as far as I know. The best way to famliarize ones self with this line is sample sample sample.
    Last edited by Futami; 17th June 2010 at 07:27 AM.

I agree with Rogalal, that synthetic wood note in StH is very bothersome. I've only tested StH and Cruel Intentions (M7 - amber + a giant sugar packet) and I found them both to be muddled, confused, and a disturbing mix of earthy and saccharine sweet. Two of the biggest niche disappointments I've had, tbh.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 17th June 2010 at 07:24 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I find Back to Black very similar to Tea for Two. Anyone else share the same connection?

I own a full bottle of Cruel Intentions and a travel set of Straight to Heaven (love them both, but they smell even better on my husband) I like Back to Black, but I am not ready to spend the $$$.
    I love Love, and my solution was to buy several samples from e-Bay and pour them into a nice atomize that I keep in my purse. I have tried all other by Killians by purchasing samples at either Luckyscent or e-bay.

Good luck in your search!
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Not saying you're wrong since everyone perceives things differently, but I don't get any incense in StH. Cedar wood, sure, plus sweet rum and patchouli, and a slightly sweet vanilla-ish base, but I've never gotten incense or rosewood. I just don't want the OP to be put off in case he dislikes those you noted.

That's just me though... my bottle of StH is relatively old in its history though - By Kilian does have batches though and each year is different so I'm only speaking to what I have.
    I'm sure you're right - It's been quite a while since I've work STH.

As for BTB, it's really not that sweet. It's definitely a gourmand tobacco, but it never gets stupid candy marshmallow sweet.

Side note: Cruel Intentions is growing on me. It's a mix of oud, lavender, and a bunch of stuff I can't identify that smells like nothing else out there. At first I hated it, but then I started craving it after a couple of wearings from a sample. I'm still not sure that I like it, but I just want to smell it every once in a while.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I'm sure you're right - It's been quite a while since I've work STH.

As for BTB, it's really not that sweet. It's definitely a gourmand tobacco, but it never gets stupid candy marshmallow sweet.

Side note: Cruel Intentions is growing on me. It's a mix of oud, lavender, and a bunch of stuff I can't identify that smells like nothing else out there. At first I hated it, but then I started craving it after a couple of wearings from a sample. I'm still not sure that I like it, but I just want to smell it every once in a while.
    Good! That's exactly what I was afraid of when I heard so much about the "honey" note in it.

I wish the travel set came with an atomizer for each bottle rather than a shared atomizer.

ditto on going to SFA as the asst's. are really helpful and just today I got a sample pack with 9 vials!! I have bought the refills on other occassions. Its great if you like woody/spice/incense - Straight To Heaven and Incense Oud...

Oeuvre means the collected body of work of an artist or musician or writer usually, or sometimes an individual piece, and noire means black.

As for his fragrances I have yet to try any.

I love By Kilian, and the refills make the price a little more reasonable if you don't need the fancy packaging.

I have Back to Black, Rose Oud and Cruel Intentions. All are masterpieces, IMO and the quality of these frags is as good as it gets. I wouldn't mind owning A Taste of Heaven, and there are still a couple I haven't tried yet...BtB and CI are very complex and well blended so give your brain some time to figure them out. Rose Oud is very simple, but the quality of ingredients and blending is absolutely incredible. Because of the quality and blending, I find they are very addictive...

As far as gender, Perfumes with "Love" in the title are geared toward women, "Heaven" to men, and the rest unisex, although they all have the potential to be unisex IMO.

The Posh Peasant has a sample set of the first 8 in the Oeuvre Noire collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I doubt you can ease your way into By Kilian. Sure, you can get samples but you'll never be able to buy a bottle at a reasonable price.
    True