Code of Conduct

Default Obsession for Cats

Front page of the Wall Street Journal today - check it out:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ession+for+men

Of course I had to try it out with my two big housecats. They're both sweet, lovey cats anyway. No real change in their behavior. The usual purring.

Anybody else tried this one?

Default Re: Obsession for Cats

Thats hysterical. Now I know what to wear for a night of cougar hunting.
    Last edited by TJMAC; 8th June 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Fascinating. I've heard of such stories before... and I wonder how any of the more generic current offerings fare.

My kitties go crazy when I start spraying the Montales for some reason , its quite funny seeing their little heads bob up and down as they sniff intently

I would be glad to donate my mini-bottle of OfM to the cause. (I much preferred the original, a giant vanilla bomb--I guess I am not a jaguar.)

Basenotes Institution

Coincidence: I was just speaking to a friend of mine about Obsession for Men yesterday. I sent him a decant of it (he'd never smelled it) and he loved it. Although my mini has vintage juice in it, and that makes all the difference in the world to me.

Basenotes Institution

So ,the lesson is - do not wear Obssession to the zoo !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Catnip, the powerful treat for kitties, is related to several herbal plants used in perfumery. Perhaps an herbalist can speculate on which scents were used. You can buy catnip tea as a sedative for people, I understand.

BTW, dogs exposed to lavender become calmer, according to some veterinarians.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm pretty sure my neighbour's cat is attracted the colognes I wear, some more than others. It really likes the original Perry Ellis.

My cat refuses to wear anything but the most expensive niche. Obsession is not on her radar.

This is very bizarre since I wore Obsession last night for the first time in a very long time - my cats didn't go particularly nuts for it any more than they usually do.

My tom cat Oberon, normally tries to lick whatever fragrance I'm wearing off my skin, it's normally a sign he approves.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

My little tuxedo female will goodnaturedly sniff a bit of whatever I'm wearing. Very occasionally, she'll give a little tentative lick.

But only three fragrances have received her headrub of approval: Jicky, Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko.

Vintage, of course.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

So how long till the jaguars get olfactory fatigue and have to switch to a random fruity floral for a week or so to readjust?

I may have to give Obsession for Men another sniff, apparently these animals with highly sensitive noses are getting much more out of it than I did. My roommate's cat doesn't care a whit for any of my fragrances, even the (allegedly) civet-laden Kouros. He's more interested in my scratchy chin stubble and the food in my lap than what I smell like.

I like the part of the story about how scientists tried other random fragrances on the cats. Charlie?!? How random is that? Is that one of the only other fragrances they had on the shelf, or did some scientist look at the fragrance pyramid on Basenotes and say, "Yes, definitely cat-worthy. Charlie." -- ??
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 9th June 2010 at 12:23 AM.

Default Re: Calvin Klein Obsession for Men attracts big cats!

Thank you for the update. This thread was also started, too:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...ssion-for-Cats

Perhaps the mods can merge these.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Scientists use Calvin Klein's Obsession for men to lure jaguars

My only wonder if it is the original or the reforrmulated version...

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...6584WV20100609

Default Re: Scientists use Calvin Klein's Obsession for men to lure jaguars

Does this also work on cougars?

Quote Originally Posted by rioni View Post
    Does this also work on cougars?
    I think this topic was posted a couple of days ago and, funnily enough, it elicited exactly the same response then!

Human nature, eh? Who would have thought that?

here is another interesting find
    "They also tried out about 23 other fragrances but Obsession for Men kept the cats' attention for longest with Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps coming second".

Good information to know for future Zoo visits
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab