Code of Conduct

Default Pure perfume vs. Spray

Hello everyone,

Being a cologne maniac, I finally realized that I am ready to move to a new level of products beyond the usual commercial fragrances that everyone uses.

I finish a 100ml bottle relatively fast because I love to spray without being stingy and enjoy the scent for as long as possible. I am 23 years old (and male) and have been using a different fragrance after I empty a bottle since I was 7, however I hope I can finally settle down on using 'only one scent' for good.

This said, I have been craving a Clive Christian cologne for almost a year now and I finally feel psychologically and financially ready to purchase the item. However, seeing that they are ridiculously overprices I started surfing the net for reviews/help and such (this is how I came across this amazing website).
    I want to ask anyone that has had experience before as to what would you suggest to go for: the perfume spray or the pure perfume (the highly concentrated splash-on version). For the former, I like the idea of spraying on the chest and body in general, and since you cannot do the same with the latter, I want to clear things up before committing on spending such an amount of money on a fragrance.

Let me know what the more experienced users think.

Default Re: Pure perfume vs. Spray

Welcome, noLan. I think it's a matter of preference and availability.

Make sure you just use your nose and wear what you like. The look of a bottle, designer name and price tag can often influence buying. Try everything. In the end, be happy in the wearing of what you buy.

Just because something has a nice bottle (BTW, the Clive Christian line uses the old bottles of the Crown Perfume Company, formerly of the Burlington Arcade, which no longer exists) does not mean the scent will be good. Again, use your nose. It you can afford the costly niche scents AND you like the scent, go for it.

To wear a costly scent, and then walk around telling everyone about it is the height of bad taste.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 03:48 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes, I have done my research with regards to the Clive Christian history and I must admit I was attracted by the marketing campaign it utilizes. However, price is not the initial factor that makes me purchase an item.
    I went to London (Fortnum and Mason) specifically for testing the CC line, and to my surprise I was speechless (remember the scene before the protagonist is executed in the movie 'Perfume: The story of a murderer? ) Anyway, I realized that although I might find a similar smelling fragrance for much less, I would prefer to have the original one that sent me to another world lol.
    The other thing is that the lady sprayed like 5 times in the collar and sleeve of my coat....3 weeks I could sense the fragrance-->thats when i started saving money hahaha
    The problem is that I have never used a pure perfume before and I dont know if I will be completely satisfied.
    Last edited by noLan; 7th June 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

There is nothing like using pure extrait, I have to say. It's kind of addictive.

Pure perfume takes your experience to a different level even if you are used to using the EDP or EDT of a certain fragrance, the extrait can differ somewhat. It's a different dimension .

I too am sort enamored by Clive Christian's scents in pure perfume. If I were to get CC - it would be extrait for sure. X perfume is the one I love- the men's X perfume is totally wild too.
    Pure perfume is what the perfumer intended a scent to smell like unless it was never made - like with Frederic Malles where there is no extrait available.

Now pure perfume sprayed is even better still though it can get expensive ...... you probably won't need to spray multiple times as with lower concentrations.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th June 2010 at 10:27 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I think it's a matter of preference and availability.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by noLan View Post
    Yes, I have done my research with regards to the Clive Christian history and I must admit I was attracted by the marketing campaign it utilizes. However, price is not the initial factor that makes me purchase an item.
    I went to London (Fortnum and Mason) specifically for testing the CC line, and to my surprise I was speechless (remember the scene before the protagonist is executed in the movie 'Perfume: The story of a murderer? ) Anyway, I realized that although I might find a similar smelling fragrance for much less, I would prefer to have the original one that sent me to another world lol.
    The other thing is that the lady sprayed like 5 times in the collar and sleeve of my coat....3 weeks I could sense the fragrance-->thats when i started saving money hahaha
    The problem is that I have never used a pure perfume before and I dont know if I will be completely satisfied.
    I agree with Mimi--pure perfume is the way to go. You might experiment with how to apply and wear when you decide. Otherwise, enjoy!
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 03:51 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hmm thanks for the responses. Soon the auction will end on a pure perfume CC X and the price is around 300 for 30ml, although for the same money one can get the 100ml spray bottle. Life sux ;D

Basenotes Institution

I think I know which auction it is - good luck !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.