Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Balahe by Leonard.

This one looks promising but, what are your opinions? Applicable pour les hommes? Looks to be somewhat gournand and the bottle is very interesting. Your replies appreciated.

Hillaire

Default Re: Balahe by Leonard.

Gosh, N. This one I think you might not like. It's a very powdery Oriental, very soft and very sweet. I could be wrong, though I would never recommend this one to you.

Blog Entries

Hillaire; Thanks Hillair. You saved me research time. I will scratch that one off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Gosh, N. This one I think you might not like. It's a very powdery Oriental, very soft and very sweet. I could be wrong, though I would never recommend this one to you.

Very feminine for me... if you can wear that so you can wear all female scents on the market...

It has been ages since I last sniffed this one, but I too remember it being pretty much as the others have described.

When I get home from the office today I'll spray it and give you another opinion.

noggs

I received a sample of this one yesterday, and got curious and sprayed it on me. Wish I hadn`t, it`s such a strange fragrance on my skin! I believe i have a sample of the new version, which is on my skin all about tubereuse. I can smell any other note besides tubereuse, and this tubereuse has a medicinal edge mixed with a rubber tire aroma that is very intense and somehow tiring to my nose...

Hi N_Tesla,

I wore Balahe when it first came out in the late 70's and can attest that the formula has been slightly changed. The current Balahe has a vanillic presence that was subdued to the point of non-existence in the original. The prune note has also been amplified to intersect with the vanilla to create a gourmand-ness that was not the original's core identity. Overall, still a good fragrance - they did not strip out its organs, just tinkered with its hormones a bit.

The original Balahe was one strange but compelling girl. There was a ghostliness to it (the metallic and violet notes) and paradoxically, the presence of a fertility goddess (the fruit and floral notes). I must confess that I totally fell for the bottle concept - that opaque black glass that looks carved by a lava flow. I owned a half-ounce bottle of pure extrait - it was in that obsidian-like glass and tied with a heavy red silk cord. It was talismanic, magical - a juju bijou!

Would I buy it again? Probably not. We had our fling. Could a man wear it? Well, a man who can handle Lutens' Arabie or similar could probably bend Ms. Balahe to his will ..... and have a good time doing it.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 28th September 2010 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Hi N_Tesla,

I wore Balahe when it first came out in the late 70's and can attest that the formula has been slightly changed. The current Balahe has a vanillic presence that was subdued to the point of non-existence in the original. The prune note has also been amplied to intersect with the vanilla to create a gourmand-ness that was not the original's core identity. Overall, still a good fragrance - they did not strip out its organs, just tinkered with its hormones a bit.

The original Balahe was one strange but compelling girl. There was a ghostliness to it (the metallic and violet notes) and paradoxically, the presence of a fertility goddess (the fruit and floral notes). I must confess that I totally fell for the bottle concept - that opaque black glass that looks carved by a lava flow. I owned a half-ounce bottle of pure extrait - it was in that obsidian-like glass and tied with a heavy red silk cord. It was talismanic, magical - a juju bijou!

Would I buy it again? Probably not. We had our fling. Could a man wear it? Well, a man who can handle Lutens' Arabie or similar could probably bend Ms. Balahe to his will ..... and have a good time doing it.
    It's very strange this one on me, doesn't match at all with your description. My skin hide the vanillic presence and the prune presence. What dominates on me it's big tuberose - not so as flat tire as i sniffed yesterday, but the strange floral of tuberose is loud and proud on this one on me. Today i could detect spices too - like carnation ones i think.

I just got a bottle of it a couple of weeks ago. It really is not as sweet and strong as I thought it'd be based on the comments here. It is powdery and floral, but I think it's worth a try.

I wore it 15 years ago and remember loving it but it seemed a bit manly to me - anise + plum + patchuli accord. I do not find spicy orientals very feminine and avoid them like plague. My husband finished off my Madness bottle and it smelled lovely on him. On me it was just cough sirup. I had a couple of guys try it and loved it on them. I prefer Balahe on a man. I do not think gender matters. Nobody knows the fragrance gender one wears - one smells good or does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevena View Post
    I wore it 15 years ago and remember loving it but it seemed a bit manly to me - anise + plum + patchuli accord. I do not find spicy orientals very feminine and avoid them like plague. My husband finished off my Madness bottle and it smelled lovely on him. On me it was just cough sirup. I had a couple of guys try it and loved it on them. I prefer Balahe on a man. I do not think gender matters. Nobody knows the fragrance gender one wears - one smells good or does not.
    Madness is a great spicy fragrance. I have already had a sample of this one, very dry spices over something that reminds me of cotton.
    Have you tried madness natural black? It had a bottle, and it was more flowery and less spicy, easier to wear.

rickbr, You had a sample and I had a full bottle . I bought unsniffed based on reviews. I saw it copared to Prada and DK Black cashmere which I love and wear. It was my biggest mistake. Madness is, to my nose salty rose + cough sirup. Awfull on me, everyone hated it. Spicy, coldish orientals do not suit me. I lean toward mossy, animalic chypres and sweet orientals. Same with aldehides. Some, like Chanel 5, Je reviens, L'aimant are not exeptionally nice on me. Cold, crisp, green aldehides are my best bet, especially in hot weather - Rive gauche and Rive gauche intense become my heaven when it's hot. Other stunners are Calandre, Sublime, White linnen, First, Farouche.

No, I have not even heard of Madness black, can You find me a pic, please?

I just sprayed my husband liberally with Balahe and it's heavenly on him. I love Habanita on guys also. On men the anise note Balahe sports is not so irriitating.

Hope that you paid a nice price on madness Navena, so in this case you might not have been so prejudiced. I love prada and black cashmere too, but i cannot see anything in common between madness and these two. The most close of madness that i got in another fragrance was azzaro visit her edp, which was way more peppery than madness i think. On me madness was very peppery too, but the rose was bigger than visit i think.
    This is madness natural black:
    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

You can still find it at cheap price at ebay i think.

Balahe wasn't good on me, huge rubber tuberose!