Code of Conduct

Question Creed Selection Verte?

Would you suggest Selection Verte to someone like me who enjoys tradition colognes like Villoresi, Acqua di Parma, and Guerlain Imperiale? Other than Royal Scottish Lavender, I haven't had much luck with Creed.

Default Re: Creed Selection Verte?

It's generally well liked, but the mint note is challenging for me. That association with toothpaste is so ingrained. I sampled it and decided against the expensive price just due to that note. Otherwise its pretty well done.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Would you suggest Selection Verte to someone like me who enjoys tradition colognes like Villoresi, Acqua di Parma, and Guerlain Imperiale? Other than Royal Scottish Lavender, I haven't had much luck with Creed.
    no I wouldn't recommend it based on that.

Selection Verte is an exquisite composition. Very simple, very green, and EXTREMELY fresh. But SlimPickins is right, this is extremely minty and sugary. Think of a mojito.

Now, I don't go searching for mint in fragrances, but I do love Selection Verte. It is without a doubt the BEST fragrance to wear on those deadly hot and humid summer days. It literally cools your skin off and just tends to lighten your mood. It's a fantastic summer fragrance. It also layers well with a lot of other Creed scents.

BUT - based on liking "traditional" colognes, I wouldn't look to such a niche scent. I wouldn't go Royal Scottish Lavender either.

Look no further than Himalaya, Green Irish Tweed, or Millesime Imperial if you are looking to break into Creed.

you might like citrus bigarrade, neroli sauvage or zeste pamplemousse by creed as well.

Bokaba, I'm a bit with Slim on this one, and a bit more positive about Selection Verte. For me it is the smell of a countryside pasture in springtime with light wildflowers in the wind. It is a very light scent and I don't think it has good tenacity. It stays close to the skin and isn't even there a "skin scent", because it will get lost close to the skin. It is a bit too subtle for its own good, I think. I don't have a problem with mint, and I think the mint that appears here isn't a heavy mint but a well integrated one--one that feels like more than mint. It doesn't remind me of the other mint scents because it has so much more going on. I don't find it cloying or sweet in any way myself.

I love the smell though, just like I love when the spring comes and all the blades of grass and all the leaves and all the weeds and all the wildflowers are fresh. That's what this stuff smells like, so it's wonderful like this, but curse it, it doesn't stick around.

You should sample it because as with many of your "what do you think about this scent for a traditional scent lover" threads, I think you'll be better served by applying your own nose after buying a sample than you will be by our thoughts and personal likes/dislikes. You'll have a better answer if you just use the Internet to purchase a sample than any number of answers here.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

very good fragance but a "scam" for me in term of longevity 10 minutes or 2o,no more
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond N9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

This scent reminded me of lemon drop candies and I just cannot see its worth when I look at how much it costs.

Selection Verte is a very green, grassy and pea-pod sort of scent -- quite distinctive. And as many others have suggested, quite different from the classic EDC styles you mention of Aqua di Parma and Guerlain Imperiale. For more in that style, try Santa Maria Novella Cologne (or also their Russe) and Roger & Gallet Extra Vielle.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I've never tried this until recently, when I received a sample from a fellow Basenote member. I always gave it a miss previously, because it doesn't come as a spray bottle, but I love it to bits now I've tried it. At first it looks expensive at around 170-250 on various sites, but it does come as 250ml, so it's only the same as buying a 100ml bottle for say 68-100 which then looks reasonable, when you compare it to say 100ml of Amouage or Bond no.9 etc.
    Another mint/citrus worth checking out is Annick Goutal Eau du Sud, but it's not a patch on Selection Verte in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    you might like citrus bigarrade, neroli sauvage or zeste pamplemousse by creed as well.
    Agree 100% that these are the Creed's you would most likely like based on your preferences; most likely the first two.

Creed is supposed to do and Eau de Cologne this year or next, I believe. So stay tuned for that.

I also agree with others that say the mint could be a challenge for you. But sample it.

For me, I like SV, but it is something that I would only wear 1-2 times a year, so I won't buy it.

The other Creed you might like is Bois de Cedrat.

I would say it would appeal to a classic cologne lover, being one myself. It comes out of the same bag, fresh, uplifting. It is very green, has lots of very nice lemon and "mandarin" and that wonderful mint note which is ridiculously refreshing. It is designed for freshness rather than longevity, though for me the musky/floral/nerolish/sweet pea drydown lasts quite well.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 9th June 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I suppose I will have to try Bigarrade. I found Neroli Sauvage to be a tad soapy

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I would say it would appeal to a classic cologne lover, being one myself. It comes out of the same bag, fresh, uplifting. It is very green, has lots of very nice lemon and "mandarin" and that wonderful mint note which is ridiculously refreshing. It is designed for freshness rather than longevity, though for me the musky/floral/nerolish/sweet pea drydown lasts quite well.
    +1

And frankly, Neroli Sauvage was a disappointment for me as well.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

This is one fragrance, with mint that actually has a cooling effect on the skin. It's just beautiful when it hits your skin and you get this cool sensation accompanied by this natural smelling citrus. However be prepared to NOT complain about its dismal longevity. This fragrance is far too beautiful to be clobbered with longevity issues.

Basenotes Institution

I love Selection Verte. But I found my mint/grass needs ultimately satisfied with Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain.