Code of Conduct

Smile A gentle request for serious opinions...

First, let me say I haven't logged in at least a year, and, had it not been for fragrance blogs, I would not know what's out there in the world of niche perfumery. My question is this: I am a gay "mature" man, recently divorced, and would sincerely like different opinions of what might be appropriate to wear. I have tons of samples and bottles, but am just wondering if there are areas in the vast world of scents I should sniff. My current favorites are Al Oud (L'Artisan) and Cuir Cordoba (Mecheri). I also VERY much like Cuir D'Iris by PG. All thoughts and opinions welcome. Thank you guys.

Default Re: A gentle request for serious opinions...

No offense, but maturity and sexual preference has nothing to with what would be "appropriate" to wear. Go have fun at the mall, sniff until your nose falls off. Then, when a scent strikes your fancy, get it, wear it, and enjoy it.

Im a straight dude that wears fragrances marketed towards the female. It doesnt matter. Wear what smells nice to you.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 9th June 2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Well, it sounds (based on the frags you mentioned) like you have fabulous taste. If you like oud maybe try Montale's Black Aoud. If you like Iris maybe try Dior Homme Intense. The possibilities are endless, really. Those are just a couple that popped into mind when I read what your current faves are. Happy hunting and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    No offense, but maturity and sexual preference has nothing to with what would be "appropriate" to wear. Go have fun at the mall, sniff until your nose falls off. Then, when a scent strikes your fancy, get it, wear it, and enjoy it.

Im a straight dude that wears fragrances marketed towards the female. It doesnt matter. Wear what smells nice to you.
    Welcome back, MikeD. I agree with Kerosene's observation. Scent, esp. on Basenotes, does not follow the dictates of age, gender or preferences. Wear what you enjoy wearing. Make no apologies for what you like. I, personally, will wear anything my nose likes.

Have you tried Cuir Ottoman by Parfums d'Empire? This is a leather-rich floral scent with a drydown to benzoin.

If you like oud (agarwood), then you simply MUST try the Habit Rouge eau de parfum! This is not niche as it is a Guerlain, but this version is quite rare and released as a limited edition. It is all the usual leather/citrus of the HR eau de toilette but with the richness of oud. Simply marvelous. You can buy this in Europe, but in the U.S. it was released as "Beau Cavalier." (Some BNers have bought the EDP on eBay. The Beau Cavalier in the U.S. is pretty much out of stock and was sold mostly in the boutiques.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th June 2010 at 05:41 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

If you're in the market for something new, then I'd follow the advice of the members who have posted above. But there's really nothing wrong with what you already have. I realize that, sometimes, we wear stuff because someone we care about likes how it smells on us. Perhaps now is the time to get a bit more selfish and choose what makes you feel good. I'm sure there will be more great suggestions to come - and I wish you the best during this time of transition in your life.

Dependent

Hey MikeD, based on your preferences, I gather you have a soft spot for animalics (especially Cuir d'Iris)? You seem to like your leathers... ME TOO! I'm not sure if you've tried Oud Cuir d'Arabie (my current fuss) from Montale, since you have been around BN for some years now, and it's been mentioned every now and then. If you haven't, I highly recommend it. It just seems like something you might really fancy. Cuir d'Iris is high on my wishlist.
    = )
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th June 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I am also of the opinion that whatever you like, wear it. I had forgotten to say that one of my all time favorite scents is MKK from Serge Lutens. Subtle, yet animalic enough to leave a lasting impression on those close by. I find myself drawn more and more to the Cuir d'Iris, and will sometime boost it's already low growl with a few touches of the Lutens. Cuir d'Arabie is also my favorite of Montale's line of strenuous yet awe inspiring aoud scents. I need to revisit that one, matthewfoo. Thanks!

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather came into my mind for some reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather came into my mind for some reason.
    I was thinking something similar - that Tom Ford might be a good house to explore.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome back to Basenotes Mike.

Have you tried:

L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale
    Costume National Homme by Costume National
    Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Cuir d'Oranger, L'Air de Rien and Feuilles de Tabac - Miller Harris

Epic Man - Amouage
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Chanel Les Exclusifs - Coromandel, Sycomore
    Hermessence by Hermes - Vetiver Tonka, Ambre Narguile
    Tom Ford Private Blend - Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood
    Amouage - Jubilation XXV, Homage
    By Kilian - Back to Black
    The Different Company - Oriental Lounge
    Diptyque
    Frederic Malle
    and many more....
    Last edited by volley2; 30th June 2010 at 09:35 AM.

+ 1 on Amouage Epic man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    No offense, but maturity and sexual preference has nothing to with what would be "appropriate" to wear...
    Word! What's appropriate is up to your nose and your skin chemistry.

If it's OK with your VISA card, you can have a fine time exploring and discovering the wonderful world of oud!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan