Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Pour Homme, thoughts?

I saw this classic on sale at TJ Maxx, but didn't get a chance to try it. It's gotten many good reviews in the directory.

Would like to know your valued opinions!!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: Azzaro Pour Homme, thoughts?

This is *THE* scent that started my love of fragrances. I will never be without this classic. I find that it's very versatile and contemporary. I'd say go for it!

Hi Knightowl
    It has got some good reviews and I like the one by Milamber in which he focuses on the ambergris in the basenotes.

I bought my first bottle in Holland in 1979 and loved wearing it in the autumn and winter. It is rich, projects well and lasts all day. It never 'shouts' but you are always aware of it in the background. I cannot bring myself to wear it in summer though - even in the evening. It seems just a little too heavy.

It has never had a high profile in the UK and is now quite rare. I bought a small (30ml) bottle last winter after a gap of 20 years (thanks to Basenotes) and again I am enjoying it very much. It has not changed at all since its launch either in presentation or content.

Buy it!

Trot

I'm another one who will probably always keep a bottle of this around.

When I started wearing it again a couple of years ago it first seemed like a twenty year old memory come to life. Now that I can smell it without revisiting my youth it's clear how much this is a descendant of classic "manly" scents like Tabarome.

I truly love Azzaro, for me It's the translation of the word "Men's fragrance"...
    Heavy, distinct, classy... That's Azzaro.
    I don't recommend this one for those who only appreciate sweet scents... Not a hint of sweetness in this one, but of course It's not horribly herbal as Bel Ami etc.
    I think It's versatile, just don't overspray.

It is a bit much for hot weather, but in any other temperature it rocks. This is one of the few retro scents that still smell "current." It (sort of) reminds me of a cross between Francesco Smalto (the original) and Must de Cartier Essence.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

It's heavy, rich, oriental and rather dry. Azzaro is a winter scent for those people craving the sensuousness and warmth of summer, but in the summer it feels too much.

Well. Let me be the first to say I don't find it all that great. I've tried it on many occasions, love the top notes, but that persistent drydown just sticks around and stinks!!! It doesn't smell very rich or deep necessarily, but it doesn't smell all that clean either. It's not so much an 80s fragrance IMO, even though it was, it just as always lacked the depth for me. I took this job once, left shortly thereafter, but this silly man I was working with wore it - gawd it stank, vile, it was ok in the morning, but those vile persistent basenotes mixing with his stink - the ultimate confirmation Azzaro is el barfo. [smiley=shocked.gif]

Outstanding, natural smelling scent.

Probably the closest scent to it that I can think of is Brut Classic. Azzaro is my go-to scent when I am not sure what to wear or when I need to pack for multiple days. It may come off strong at first, but it quickly turns into a subtle anise-lavender scent; probably why it reminds me of Brut Classic so much.

Top citric notes are reminiscent of Quorum, but not as obnoxious. Ambery base is subtle; it doesn't whack you on the head like, say, Mr. 7.

Like Trotsky, I got a 1 oz bottle, and have not regretted it. I can see why this remains one of the top sellers in Europe. Fairly inexpensive in the US.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I discovered it a few months ago. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Jambo

This is a nicely balanced scent in the 80s style which will project readily but is rather unique in its own right because it doesn't just use the patchouli-vertiver but deepens an already dark note with ambregris and musc. No vanille in this one, just a very masculine juice throughout.

I can only confirm averything what was writen above. If that can help you, YSL Rive Gauche smells pretty same to me.

Azzaro is macho sexyness in a bottle. Great cologne!

Super scent!
    I think it definitely belongs in the top 20 of masculine colognes ever. Complex, macho, great sillage and always decently priced.
    For a modern take definitely check out YSL Rive Gauche PH.
    MMM

Yep,

A true scent of a men very latin style with all the refinement that goes with it

laurent
    Invisible Power

OK, I'm reviving an old thread to avoid making a new one. Aren't I considerate?

Those of you helping me in my "Help me step up my game" thread know I've grown tired of the drek that passes for man's cologne these days. Since timaru suggested Azzaro PH, I thought I'd check it out. But I'd like some more feedback on it first. Also, do you think it is likely to be discontinued? I've heard its hard to get some places.

Discontinued...doubtful, since it remains a strong seller in North America and a bestseller in Europe. If you're tired of the current mens' fragrance market these days (and join the club), Azzaro PH might be right up your alley. Upon first sniff it might smell "dated", but that's due to its structure as an aromatic fougére, the most stereotypically masculine fragrance category since the '70s and iconically "macho" due to its popularity in that era. Many BNers have noted that Azzaro PH is the kind of fragrance that needs to be worn (ie. not sprayed on your wrist and sniffed at repeatedly) to be fully appreciated, which may sound odd, but they're right. Look elsewhere if you're not a fan of citrus or bitter herbals - like RCavs said, there's not a hint of sweetness about Azzaro. It's sharp edges and leathery woods from top to bottom, with an overall green impression. I fell in love with it and then out of love just as quickly once I discovered Kouros, which adds more powdery spices and musk to the mix, the kind of fragrance notes I live for. But Azzaro does hit the spot some days, and on the right man it smells fantastic. Definitely check it out, but keep at it if you're initially turned off by its sharpness and "old-school" nature.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 5th June 2010 at 08:03 AM.

Azzaro PH - potent, masculine, classic. Someone said that in summer it'd be too much, I agree. It can be tad bit heavy. Fall and winter, this frag rocks!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

My SotD and a favourite since 1979.

Azzaro may be commonplace today, but a look into the history of its creation will reveal a high-quality frag that became very popular, and for all the good reasons. "Dated" cannot be an accurate description if it continues to sell today in volumes that makes one think it wont be discontinued anytime soon. A classic? Definitely.

On the matter of seasons to wear, i have always lived in a country where we have summer conditions almost all year round. Azzaro pour Homme actually blooms in these conditions, and one gets to enjoy the ambergris (synthetic or otherwise, who cares?). Application, as always is what matters. I spray liberally, regardless ;o)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It is absolutely fantastic and one of the few I could wear every day for a lifetime. One of the best mens frags ever, in my opinion. No other fougere comes close. I have never understood why people would want Rive Gauche pour homme with its big iso e super and synthy woody notes when this is available. I haven't tried the current formula though...
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 5th June 2010 at 09:42 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a really good scent. One of the best for the value.

Very '70s, very outdoors-ey, and very refined. Many notes to speak of, but I won't babble on here. For me it's a little too strong though; I actually find Kouros to be less of a powerhouse than this. This is strong as in headache strong for me.

I'd say it's a perfect autumn scent, but IMO Yatagan crushes it like a grape.

It's the emperor of the aromatic fougere, the Mitsuoko of its genre, and you can buy a bottle for the price of a movie ticket. There is a reformulated version floating around so be sure your bottle lists oakmoss on the back.

It may be hard to get, because people swarm to this stuff like bees on honey. Even if you dislike powerhouse fragrances, and are more into Sean John and such, you have to appreciate this masterpiece. Discontinued? I highly doubt it, I think this is a bigger seller than Chrome. I think a lot of people who buy Chrome only buy it once and get tired of it, or begin to realize it doesn't smell as good on their skin as it did in the bottle. ApH on the other hand -- everyone I know who has bought this stuff loves it. With me, it's just one of those frags that just gets better and better as I wear it, but I'm afraid if I go overboard and make it a signature scent I may get tired of it. Treasure this masterpiece, simply one of the greatest if not the greatest fragrance ever made.

It's natural smelling and well done but not to my tastes. Just because a frag is "good" does not mean that it will be right for you.

Not to sound too pedestrian, but have any of you gotten compliments from girls on this? Or is this the kind of scent where you sacrifice female compliments for masculine satisfaction?

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Not to sound too pedestrian, but have any of you gotten compliments from girls on this? Or is this the kind of scent where you sacrifice female compliments for masculine satisfaction?
    Not a pantie dropper, if that's the question. It's basically just a timeless old school fragrance that appeals to many noses. Those who do wear it often love it. Many though are known to dislike the opening and then enjoy the dry down, I like it in any of its phases.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Azzaro pour Homme actually blooms in these conditions, and one gets to enjoy the ambergris (synthetic or otherwise, who cares?). Application, as always is what matters. I spray liberally, regardless ;o)
    APH was my SOTD yesterday, and the weather was hot.

I agree with Perfaddict. I wear Azzaro PH all year long, but I like it best in summer. It comes to life on my skin in summer, particularly the oakmoss in the base. In colder months, I only get hints of the moss, but in warm weather, I can smell it nice and strong for several hours.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about Azzaro Pour Homme. Discontinuing Azzaro Pour Homme would be like discontinuing Shalimar.
    Last edited by shamu1; 6th June 2010 at 03:05 AM.

My wife loves it when I wear it. She says it smells warm and ultra-masculine.

There is nothing wimpy or androgynous at all about Azzaro Pour Homme.

I find Azzaro Pour Homme very similar to Paco Rabanne. Azzaro is a bit less herbal and its licorice topnote is quite noticeable, but otherwise they're very close.

They're both classic scents that are still quite wearable if applied judiciously.

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
    I find Azzaro Pour Homme very similar to Paco Rabanne. Azzaro is a bit less herbal and its licorice topnote is quite noticeable, but otherwise they're very close.

They're both classic scents that are still quite wearable if applied judiciously.
    I used to feel that Azzaro Pour Homme had to be applied sparingly too. However, I've changed my tune since then, and I spray it and Paco R. on pretty liberally. I think fougeres are meant to be sprayed on hard.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I used to feel that Azzaro Pour Homme had to be applied sparingly too. However, I've changed my tune since then, and I spray it and Paco R. on pretty liberally. I think fougeres are meant to be sprayed on hard.
    Yep! Regardless of opinion today, i dare say that "liberal" was how the classics were meant to be sprayed in their day. Half-sprays, etc, of Azzaro et al will only result in nice smelling skin, but only a nose like a chromatograph will be able to truly distinguish much, especially at the base.

Regarding compliments, i know from experience that people will always appreciate a good smell, irrespective of whether it is modern or "grandpa". It is the labels/names that bring on the issues. I know that ladies of all ages pay compliments to Azzaro till today.

Just my thoughts, please. No debate intended ;o)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I too love Azzaro PH. I've come to it pretty late in life and I'm wearing it a lot to make up for lost time! I agree with Shamu that it comes to life in the heat. It seems to fit perfectly with warm, sunny days and always raises my mood when I wear it. I've recently re-discovered Paco Rabanne PH (I had original bottles of Paco & Quorum when I was younger) and the similarity to Azzaro (which it reportedly inspired) is noticable. They are both powerful fragrances by todays standards but I agree that they benefit from a slightly heavy hand as it reveals the complexities and wraps you in the scent all day. Both are absolute classics which I would hope to never be without.

Timelessly elegant, overtly masculine and very good value for money - I am considering a large scale purchase of this frag

OK, now I have to try this stuff.

OK, now I have to try this stuff.
    Azzaro PH is so inexpensive that it's worth a blind buy if you like aromatic fougeres. Hell, I'd pay $200 for the stuff if I had to, it's that good.

I did choose Rive Gauche pour Homme over Azzaro pour Homme but last time i did recognized that i need Azzaro pour Homme too. A saleslady told me that it isn´t suitable for summer but i did ignore that. I did use it last days in the heat and did like it a lot. Current version seems to be watered down but it is strong enough. 2 spritzer are enough for me.

Feedback till now ?

:]
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Azzaro has a kind of fatherly quality to it that I dislike. If I were going to wear a 70's scent, I would choose VC&A, Polo, or Z-14 over Azzaro, all of which smell slightly more expressive and interesting. Although everybody likes different styles of fragrances, Azzaro in my book cannot compete with Z-14. I did not find Azzaro nearly as strong as others did (certainly not like Kouros). I am sure it was a reformulation.

Well I tried it at the store today and I must say: AWESOME! This is a real cologne. After smelling the selection currently on offer in the stores then smelling this, I cry for the olfactory poverty we live in these days. This stuff rocks! I wonder if I have what it takes to wear it? I might have to find out.

All of the Issey, Code and AHS kids should smell this and find out what a man wears for cologne.

One thing though: it isn't cheap. I'm not sure where you guys buy cologne, but its fairly expensive here.

Well I tried it at the store today and I must say: AWESOME! This is a real cologne. After smelling the selection currently on offer in the stores then smelling this, I cry for the olfactory poverty we live in these days. This stuff rocks! I wonder if I have what it takes to wear it? I might have to find out.

All of the Issey, Code and AHS kids should smell this and find out what a man wears for cologne.

One thing though: it isn't cheap. I'm not sure where you guys buy cologne, but its fairly expensive here.
    I now recommend you try Halston Z-14, which should also be on the shelves. It is even manlier.
    Last edited by Asmo; 8th June 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It may be hard to get, because people swarm to this stuff like bees on honey.
    These two comments strike me as odd - I bought a bottle a couple weeks ago at TJ Maxx (they frequently have it there) for $15. I get that there might not be that type of store near everyone, but you can also do a quick search online to find it everywhere from deep discounters to all the retailers that stock it. ($15-$60 max) Where are you guys looking?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I wonder if I have what it takes to wear it? .
    Although I feel that fragrances can be chosen to match a person's personality, I also believe that if you love a scent enough and wear it often, you can pull off wearing anything.

vulcan, I see that you live in Canada - check out Shoppers Drug Mart's fragrance section, if you have one nearby. I bought a 30 ml bottle for $18. Otherwise, department stores like Sears have it for a reasonable price, around the Estée Lauder level.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 8th June 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I saw this classic on sale at TJ Maxx, but didn't get a chance to try it. It's gotten many good reviews in the directory.

Would like to know your valued opinions!!
    It's bad. You'd be much better off getting something else.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    vulcan, I see that you live in Canada - check out Shoppers Drug Mart's fragrance section, if you have one nearby. I bought a 30 ml bottle for $18. Otherwise, department stores like Sears have it for a reasonable price, around the Estée Lauder level.
    I went to Shoppers and they only had 50s and 100s, and they were full price.