Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My First Creed - Bois Du Portugal

Though I bought this a week ago, I thought I would share some of the photos that I took with it for all of you! I find this fragrance to be a bit...stiff? Rather smoky and quite woodsy. It's unique...no doubt about it. Not an "everyday" frag, more a formal occasion. Still, it's a gorgeous scent!

So, with that out of the way, let me share my pictures with you (click on the little picture to see a bigger picture)!

First up, a picture of the box:

Followed by the top of the box:

After that, we have three pictures of what you see upon opening of said box:

Followed by the mystical bottle itself:

The back of the bottle showing off the engraved serial # and title of the fragrance:

Another of the serial # / fragrance title:

Hope you all enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My First Creed - Bois Du Portugal

I am glad you are enjoying this great fragrance, but I am a bit confused here ...what are we supposed to discuss in this thread? Perhaps the content here belongs in a Basenotes blog.
    -

ZZ, I think he wants to know if anyone out there also thinks it smells, "a bit.....stiff?".

IMO, BdP is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a well made fragrance.
    Stiff, you ask?
    More like, out of date. Let's put it this way, if you want to smell like the men's department of a Neiman Marcus that hasn't been remodeled since the late 80's you've nailed it. Dust, anybody? No? Dust, anybody? No? Dust? Anybody?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st March 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your first Creed. It is the king of 80's powerhouse frags. Masculine beyond a shadow of a doubt and IMO it trumps 99% of the glorified Hollywood bath water endorsed these days. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

If it smells "stiff" it's because the thing has backbone, spine, confidence. It's a refined masculine scent for men 30+ who know something about the world. Bois du Portugal is extremely versatile for office wear, romantic evenings, travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    if you want to smell like the men's department of a Neiman Marcus that hasn't been remodeled since the late 80's you've nailed it. Dust, anybody? No? Dust, anybody? No? Dust? Anybody?
    LMAO! It was my second Creed purchase discovered after finding all of you people in here.
    The basenotes notes on it at the time said it was used by Frank Sinatra and that was good enough for me.

Angle pay no attention to us cynics! It's a great scent. Congrats. Enjoy it-- from an ex Detroiter. Where in the Great Lakes state are ya?
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th November 2009 at 08:52 PM.

BdP is my one and only Creed. I bought the 30 ml bottle to start out with. I'll definitely buy a larger bottle when this is gone.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Post Thanks / Like

I do not own any Creed so far, but the first one I would by, without even thinking about any other options, would be BDP.

Post Thanks / Like

i didn't like it at the time, as it smelled kind of like a musty, old, violin; but now I've been craving to try it again (this was 3 years ago).
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    If it smells "stiff" it's because the thing has backbone, spine, confidence. It's a refined masculine scent for men 30+ who know something about the world. Bois du Portugal is extremely versatile for office wear, romantic evenings, travel.
    I`m 35 and use it from time to time. I don`t like to put age on a fragrance because it`s a matter of taste, but on BDP i would say 50+

Post Thanks / Like

You don't like putting an age on it, so why say 50 +? Not to be combative, but I always question when people make statements like "it smells dated" or "it's for 50+".. What does "dated" mean? Aqua di Gio might fall under the definition of "dated" to me, seeing as how it was launched 13+ years ago and has really worn out its welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I`m 35 and use it from time to time. I don`t like to put age on a fragrance because it`s a matter of taste, but on BDP i would say 50+

Post Thanks / Like

I had the honor to sample and wear this today, I'm absolutely mesmerized by its beauty. I must say I strongly disagree that this is a fragrance for old people, I can easily pull this one off and I'm only 18, age or gender are the least important aspects in wearing a fragrance. (this took me a lot of time to understand).

I believe I might have found my one and only love. Time will tell. Bois Du Portugal
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    I had the honor to sample and wear this today, I'm absolutely mesmerized by its beauty. I must say I strongly disagree that this is a fragrance for old people, I can easily pull this one off and I'm only 18, age or gender are the least important aspects in wearing a fragrance. (this took me a lot of time to understand).

I believe I might have found my one and only love. Time will tell. Bois Du Portugal
    Totally agree Trapper this is a great fragrance and a classic which can be seen as a old school scent. What do you think of the strong lavender opening? When I first got a bottle of this I found the lavender top notes to be to much in their strength that I have to rub the scent into my skin to get to the smoky woody dry down quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Creed by far. This is what God should wear.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Totally agree Trapper this is a great fragrance and a classic which can be seen as a old school scent. What do you think of the strong lavender opening? When I first got a bottle of this I found the lavender top notes to be to much in their strength that I have to rub the scent into my skin to get to the smoky woody dry down quicker.
    Lavender is one of my favorite notes in a fragrance, the more intense the better. It's top notes captivate me, I would never do such a thing to rub them off, and the dry-down doesn't compare with anything I have smelled before, maybe a little (very little) with Parfums du Nicolai - New York.

++ I second Basteri's comment.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    You don't like putting an age on it, so why say 50 +? Not to be combative, but I always question when people make statements like "it smells dated" or "it's for 50+".. What does "dated" mean?.
    i think there's a big difference between the two...

I don't think BdP smells "dated" or "80's". I don't think any fragrance does. To associate a smell with a decade is a bit silly to me.

However, BdP is absolutely a mature fragrance, best pulled off by someone over 50 in my opinion. Just as CK One is a young fragrance that works great for the college set. It would be extremely odd to smell BdP on a 19 year old guy, just as it would be smelling CK One on my grandfather.

BdP, Imperial and GIT are all fantastic Creeds in my opinion.

They all require a light touch with your trigger finger but BdP's power is astonishing. I don't think it's an "old man scent"...I just think it smells like it should be on a rich 50 year old who owns a yacht.

It would go well with wrinkles, a dark tan, expensive clothes and a bottle of wine. If I'm ever a rich old guy I will consider wearing this to my Gatsby-like parties.