Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a new Fresh/Aquatic Cologne

I'm looking for a nice Fresh/Aquatic cologne, something that might make me feel like im on a beach in Hawaii if such a cologne exists. Looking for some suggestions, thanks.

Default Re: Looking for a new Fresh/Aquatic Cologne

Not quite aquatic, but to me, beach on Hawaii makes think instantly of Virgin Island Water, or any fragrance with notes of lime, rum, coconut etc.

Thanks Smeghead. Yeah probably not so much aquatic, I just wasn't sure how to describe it. Any other fragrances like Virgin Island Water? I would rather not drop $150 on another bottle of Creed before I get to try it out. I have a bottle of Himalaya and it smells nice just doesn't last :\

Hesperides by Essenze di Mezzanotte is worth checking out. It's available from Mioprofumo in Italy e-mail Barbara mioprofumo@gmail.com
    It's very fresh, long lasting, notes similar to Creed VIW (citrus, coconut etc) but only costs 60 EURO for 100ml so way cheaper. I've stopped using VIW since finding this gem of a fragrance. They also sell a sample of this

Chanel Allure Homme Blanche seems to be something suiting the mood of a hot, sunny beach.

virgin island water by creed

I'm NOTgoing to say that Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barths is a knock-off of Creed's VIW. It's not. It IS really good, though, and definitely has a tropical feel. Longevity leaves a little to be desired, but that's what travel atomizers are for, right? Anyway - it's got that rummy-limey laid-back feel to it that will definitely put you in a beach-ey mindset. It's great. And affordable, too! I think you can find a 3.4oz for around $35 or $40.

Another one is Aramis Bermuda Tonic. It also has a pina colada vibe to it.

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts

Thanks for all the suggestions! From what I have read about each of the colognes I am trying to decide between Creed Virgin Island Water and Hesperides by Essenze di Mezzanotte (Has anyone else tried out this cologne?) Any suggestions as to where to pick up Creed VIW if I go that route? The vendor I picked up my last bottle of Creed doesn't have VIW in stock. Thanks again.

Morning Star

I like scents that really smell like the beach and the ocean, not like suntan oil or syrupy drinks. My preferences, in decreasing order of cost:

Profumum Acqua di Sale
    Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Hyle
    i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare
    Last edited by Astaroth; 10th June 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Sur la Plage

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Bahiana
    Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess or Azuree Soleil
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DeepSilence

Bvlgari Aqua is another choice

La Voile Rouge

Smile Re: Looking for a new Fresh/Aquatic Cologne

I doubt anyone else has tried the Hesperides that I mentioned, as it is has only recently been released and the perfumer doesn't have a web site yet. The shop that stocks this can be contacted at the e-mail address given (just address it to Barbara, she's fantastic and extremely helpful). After buying a sample myself, I went ahead and purchased a 100ml bottle straight away (it's parfum strength), as I thought it was simply too good to miss. The shop also sells other Italian fragrances such as i Profumi di Firenze, the other Essenze de Mezzanotte perfumes, Antimateria (superb stuff) and Marco da Venezia http://www.marcodavenezia.com/index.htm You can buy a sample of any of these

Here's my bottle of Hesperides to tempt all of you

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    I'm NOTgoing to say that Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barths is a knock-off of Creed's VIW. It's not. It IS really good, though, and definitely has a tropical feel. Longevity leaves a little to be desired, but that's what travel atomizers are for, right? Anyway - it's got that rummy-limey laid-back feel to it that will definitely put you in a beach-ey mindset. It's great. And affordable, too! I think you can find a 3.4oz for around $35 or $40.
    What this man said. Although I was fortunate enough to get mine @ TJ Maxx for 19.99 (3.4 oz)

When I first saw this question in the forums, I said "YESSS I can bring up one of my new favorite aquatics Blue Seduction". Then I read on and saw you're looking for something more tropical. As Sir says, Set Sail St. Barts, but longevity isn't very good. Which brings me to Tommy Bahama Very Cool, often overlooked but still fantastic, and may match the vibe you're looking for. Back to Blue Seduction though, it is a unique aquatic and surprisingly a drugstore fragrance. Don't count the Antonio Banderas house out, I've tried 3 from the house thus far and all 3 I really enjoy. Blue Seduction or BS for short is anything but BS, it opens up a bit strong on the alcohol, or so it may seem. It's actually just the mint that's very powerful, but it's not at all a synthetic mint like in other fragrances.. it's light but very powerful at the same time. It eventually takes on a fantastic cappuccino note and blends together smoothly with the mint. It lasts for up to 10 hours sometimes which brings its rating up in my book, best of all, it's fairly inexpensive. But, back to that tropical vibe.. St. Bart's has tropical written all over it. There are 2 things you need to know about St. Bart's... Lime, and Tequila; that is all. I also hear Aramis Bermuda Tonic is a nice take on a more tropical aquatic, I never see this in discount stores, and I'm not ready to spring 30-40 bucks for it online for something I've never smelled before, but the reviews look to be pretty good.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 9th June 2010 at 08:52 PM.

Blog Entries

weird, but Hollisters SoCal REALLY reminds me of the beach, like that warm wood beach smell with some fruit in it. i dont care if its Hollister, its some great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by spk282 View Post
    I'm looking for a nice Fresh/Aquatic cologne, something that might make me feel like im on a beach in Hawaii if such a cologne exists. Looking for some suggestions, thanks.
    You just described Cool Water.

Bulgari Aqua Marine
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Nautica Voyage
    Samourai

Bond No. 9's Fire Island

Almost too much like being on the beach.
    Last edited by Vladdypwnz; 10th June 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Cool Water for sure

Bvlgari Aqva Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Not quite aquatic, but to me, beach on Hawaii makes think instantly of Virgin Island Water, or any fragrance with notes of lime, rum, coconut etc.
    This!!!

Aquatics are gross (IMHO).

Try:
    Kouros Tattoo
    New West
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

On the budget side, there is Azzaro Chrome Legend...smells just like a seabreeze / wet beachsand and orrangy topnotes.

DeepSilence

1+ New West

Dependent

IMO, your Aquatic exploration would not be complete if you didn't try:

Bvlgari Aqva Pour homme (note there is a "Marine" flanker, they smell different)
    Creed Erolfa

Both have a briny thing going on, that reminds me a little of sea water.

mh fleurs de sel
    heeley sel marin

Nautica Oceans.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau. Smells pretty tropical to me, and oddly, the hotter it is, the longer it lasts.

+1 Nautica ( Blue )

VIW - by far the best !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    I have to dissent on Creed Virgin Island Water.

I would be cautious with this one. For my taste, there is not enough lime in the opening and I found the drydown to be overly cloying, almost as if you have been out in the hot weather covered with suntan lotion and you cannot wait to take a clean, refreshing shower. I really found this fragrance to be unpleasant. However, to each his or her own.

TJ

TigerJuice makes a very good point about VIW having no real lime feeling ! If your looking for some lime - ???

Try Amouage Ciel ... Trust my word , this is summer beach in bottle , you will find smell of sand and sea in this one. I love thas scent , but it is so expensive .

Dune, New West.

Just look up fragrances with coconut notes.