Code of Conduct

Default Does anyone actually buy frags at the mall?

That is the question. I know many of us have collections that keep growing and growing and we get frags at 50-75% off or even more; but does anyone on here actually buy their fragrances from Macy's Dillard's, Sephora, etc? @ full price.

Some of the harder to find on sale things I get at the mall, like Fahrenheit. But for the most part I stick to TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, CVS, Walgreen's (not as often but sometimes they have insane deals) and online retailers.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 8th June 2010 at 09:30 PM.

Default Re: Does anyone actually buy frags at the mall?

Only Black Orchid, from Sephora.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Yep, I buy most of my frags from Danish malls and parfumeries,
    at the usual grotesque Danish retail prices ... that's life!

Quite a few, mostly when I was just starting out or they were on sale.

Starting out:
    -Tommy
    -Boss bottled (aka Boss #6)
    -Polo Blue

Cheap impulse buys:
    -Gucci Pour Homme I
    -Gucci Envy
    -B*Men
    -The Dreamer (on sale)

Couldn't find any cheaper online:
    -Mugler Cologne
    Last edited by Smeghead; 8th June 2010 at 09:42 PM.

I bought just my first fragrance (Bvlgari Aqva) at the mall. When I came home and checked internet I immediately found same bottle for 50% of what I paid (60 euros for 50ml set) and was like WTF? Since then I buy everything from web, but I may buy some Chanel fragrances from retail in future because they are not that cheap on web (just around 10-20% cheaper than in mall).

Hell no!

I happen to enjoy shopping in town, and the things I get are seldom significantly discounted on the web or anywhere else.

I do not remember ever purchasing a fragrance retail. I always Ebay (you must have experience in order to pull this off) and online purchase my fragrances, or even purchase them from other BN members (best option).
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Occasionally stuff from Saks, Neiman Marcus, or Barneys (mail order) that you can't find easily elsewhere. I have a very generous SA at Saks (she's given me a bottle of Clive 1872, a 10ml No. 1 decant, and obscene hands full of samples every time I go, often without buying anything... I don't mind going to see her! ). Also, the Barney's lady (who was sadly let go recently ) always hooked me up so well with samples that I didn't mind paying more.
    However, I think you're referring more to scents that are a little easier to source and designers, to which I would say nope... no mall for me . I always try to source them for a better price at discount stores or online.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

i started out with fragrances of stores like Hollister, AE, etc...but after that everything ive bought has been basically discounted, with the exception of A*Men which i bought 1.7 oz for $57 at Macys. i wanted it bad enough to pay the extra, plus you know its legit if its from Macys

other than that? TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Walmart have been my suppliers]

EDIT: i lied, i bought Pi at Sears too
    Last edited by Neurosis; 8th June 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Buying online is tempting, but I'd be afraid of counterfeited goods. Is Creed and niche colognes available online at a good discount from a reliable internet supplier?

I buy retail once in a while. Actually, I plan on buying a few later on this year. I don't want "bad juice" ( I'm sick of getting spoiled fragrance or fragrance that is a bit "off"). Its more of a case of whether or not the department shops have what I want ( which they usually don't). Sephora has Lutens, but not the Lutens I want ( ie Gris Clair). Also, my city has a few independant fragrance shops that I do buy from.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
    Buying online is tempting, but I'd be afraid of counterfeited goods. Is Creed and niche colognes available online at a good discount from a reliable internet supplier?
    ive bought online once from Amazon (Amazon itself, not a merchant using amazon) and i got Varvatos Original for $30, 4.2oz and its 110% authentic. in my experience, amazon is legit. fragrance.net is allegedly great as well

The mall in my town only has Macys and Sears, but I don't buy fragrances there. There is a Nordstrom, a Sephora, and an Ulta within driving distance. I bought from Sephora once recently because I had a gift card, but that was it. I found the Nordstrom selection disappointing; it was much like Macys with a few minor additions. I was hoping for more.

I do check out the Marshalls/TJ Maxx selection from time to time and have bought a few things. I guess if I wanted a Bath and Body Works or Body Shop fragrance, I would get it at the mall.

I do agree with the Amazon suggestion and have bought several fragrances there. Good selection, good prices, and often free shipping if you buy from Amazon itself. I haven't been disappointed yet. Beauty Encounter has also been a good source.

Believe it or not, if you go to Macy's during times of desparation, the SA's will not hesitate to discount your price. I remember a year or 2 ago I was at Macy's and I told one of the SA's that I only had $40.00 on me. She actually offered to discount an Issey Miyake Gift Set (2.5oz EDT and an aftershave balm) for $40.00. For some reason I passed up the offer. :-(

Basenotes Institution

Most likely not, unless I'm near a Saks Fifth or Neiman's etc.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I got my Chanel fragrances from the mall, mainly because not all online retailers stock Chanel, and even if they do, they're not massively discounted.

It's weird how Chanel's fragrances are almost never discounted anywhere. Even your niches like Creed you can find at least a a good £50 less off the RRP online, whether it be on eBay or elsewhere. Chanel, the most you'll ever see off the RRP is like £5, even on eBay.

I hear duty free is the only place you can find a decent discount for them, but the last time I went abroad was like 4-5 years ago
    Last edited by Smeghead; 9th June 2010 at 02:27 AM.

I am thinking about buying Fahrenheit - Dior and Black Orchid - Tom Ford. If I do end up buying them they will most likely be from the mall. Sephora supposedly has an exclusive 30ml bottle of Black Orchid and that would be more than enough with this monster.

Sure. If there's something I want, I buy it wherever I find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I am thinking about buying Fahrenheit - Dior and Black Orchid - Tom Ford. If I do end up buying them they will most likely be from the mall. Sephora supposedly has an exclusive 30ml bottle of Black Orchid and that would be more than enough with this monster.
    Get Fahrenheit from Target. They always have a 1.7oz for under $40.00!

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    Get Fahrenheit from Target. They always have a 1.7oz for under $40.00!
    I happened to notice that the other night as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Occasionally stuff from Saks, Neiman Marcus, or Barneys (mail order) that you can't find easily elsewhere. I have a very generous SA at Saks (she's given me a bottle of Clive 1872, a 10ml No. 1 decant, and obscene hands full of samples every time I go, often without buying anything... I don't mind going to see her! ). Also, the Barney's lady (who was sadly let go recently ) always hooked me up so well with samples that I didn't mind paying more.
    However, I think you're referring more to scents that are a little easier to source and designers, to which I would say nope... no mall for me . I always try to source them for a better price at discount stores or online.
    I agree that if you know the SAs, they will give you handfuls of samples. They will happily make decants, too. My usual haunts are Nieman's, Saks and Nordstom. I try to buy when they have promotions of extra products usu. out for holidays: lotions, bath gels, after shaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    i started out with fragrances of stores like Hollister, AE, etc...but after that everything ive bought has been basically discounted, with the exception of A*Men which i bought 1.7 oz for $57 at Macys. i wanted it bad enough to pay the extra, plus you know its legit if its from Macys

other than that? TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Walmart have been my suppliers]

EDIT: i lied, i bought Pi at Sears too
    I LIKE an honest man!
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th June 2010 at 04:32 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've gotten good deals at C.O. Bigelow's, which are always at the mall!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Blog Entries

I buy from all over.

Looking at my wardrobe, I see scents I've bought from Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, Sephora, Crabtree & Evelyn, B&BW and L'Occitane (certainly these are mall stores.)

I have other fragrances bought online from Beauty Café, L'Artisan, and sellers on eBay.

Other perfumes I've bought from BNers, T. J. Maxx and Marshall's, thrift shops, consignment, lots of scents from local boutiques and gift shops (including the Yale Center for British Art gift shop) and even (gasp!) from WalMart.

Basically, I do not limit where I buy from.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th June 2010 at 04:56 AM.

I haven't for a long time, but I often walk through Perfumania when I'm in a mall. It's a cheap shop as US Basenoters probably know and old stuff appears there.

I'll also buy at Saks every now and then because they've got the harder to find older women's Chanels, Carons, and Diors I've been interested in. Also, like Jrd4t, I've got my own SA there and she's got me in her pocket.

Otherwise, no, I really don't buy at Macy's, Dillards, Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, or Sephora anymore. Or Nordstrom for that matter. They just don't have what I'm interested in anymore. Not that they're bad or that anyone should imitate my buying habits, but the things they have don't interest me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dependent

Yes, I've bought a handful of fragrances at the mall. Usually when I'm too impatient to endure shipping time (2 weeks from most overseas sellers)
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th June 2010 at 05:08 AM.

I'm sure most of my points have already been brought up, but I'm gettin' sleepy and don't want to read through the whole thread tonight. I almost never buy in store anymore for a few key reasons. For one, I don't have a bevy of stores at my disposal, mostly just your typical low-level Department Stores (Macy's etc.). Also, as someone who is aware of legitimate online discounters I don't really see the benefit to me or the economy as a whole to support large retailers with gigantic mark-ups. Why pay 80$ when I can get the exact same thing for 50% off? And lastly, it's just the convenience. It's much easier to purchase off the web then it would be to try to find something that most likely isn't carried in the brick and mortar. That being said, I am one that is willing to support those that have been good to me in the past, which is why I prefer to purchase from Luckyscent even though I may be able to find some of there stuff cheaper elsewhere.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 9th June 2010 at 05:16 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yes. Shipping things here is too expensive to warrant a lot of online shopping. I'd often break even. So sometimes I'll pay a little more at the mall, enjoy the shopping experience, and have it *now*.

That said, there are a number of stores in the local market that do parallel imports, old stock, etc., and I can find some frags at 30-50% off. But not the Chanels. They just don't get discounted, even if you try to bargain over a dusty bottle from last decade.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 9th June 2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bon Vivant View Post
    But not the Chanels. They just don't get discounted, even if you try to bargain over a dusty bottle from last decade.
    Indeed. The pricing for Chanel is just so rigid. I've only ever had luck buying some testers (which the retailers get free anyways?) at OK prices.

I've hardly bought anything other than online in a long while, and I don't miss bricks and mortar shopping.

Maybe a 20ml something from L'Occitane.

Oh yeah, besides Chanels, I would go to the mall to get/try the exclusive range fragrances. It's always a little intimidating walking into a Dior or Hermes boutique, especially when the SAs are dressed better than me.

I only buy scents that are very popular from Mall because I have seen fakes that imitate the original almost to perfection, except longevity.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I bought Shalimar Eau Legere and Habit Rouge EdT Legere at the mall and have no regrets.

I'm old school, I enjoy dropping in and saying hallo to a handful of friendly and informed SAs in the different boutiques / counters who know me and enjoy chatting. It's surprising how many samples and 'old bottles' and other things come out when you take the time to get to know people. HK is a Duty Free port and the specific boutiques carrying the lines (Harvey Nicks, Lane Crawford, Joyce) have 10% for members so prices are very good.

Also, I wouldn't have added Patou Pour Homme, Eau de Patou, Maxims Pour Homme and a whole lot of other stuff to my collection if I had stayed at home - I wish we had more flea-markets here like in some European cities.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 10th June 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Occasionally.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I have only bought minis at a fragrance boutique in a mall.

I would certainly consider doing so, but not for most items; like stuff at Neiman-Marcus and the like that isn't easy to find.

My local Sephora and Nordie's have downgraded their fragrance departments in the last few months -- no more Guerlain or Hermes, nothing you can't find easily at a better price somewhere else. I might buy something like Pacifica at Sephora, that's inexpensive and never available at a discount elsewhere. There are three indepedent boutiques within a few blocks of the mall that have better pricing and selection than the chain stores -- I can't figure out why EVERYONE doesn't shop them instead, even if they can't be bothered with the Internet!

I think department stores and places like Ulta and Sephora make their fragrance sales to people who are only mildly interested in fragrance, who just want to walk in while they're shopping for clothes, smell two or three things, and buy the one that grabs them immediately from a sniff of the tester strip. And if someone just wants something to spray on in the morning or before a date but isn't super-interested in perfume, that's a perfectly logical thing to do! The time investment of sniffing a ton of things, then hunting down the very best price from the most reliable source and waiting for shipping, isn't worth it unless you buy perfume frequently and care passionately about its nuances. Sure it might be a little cheaper somewhere else, but your time is valuable too ... and if you only buy a bottle once a year or so, even full-price that $60 or $70 bottle is not that big an investment.

Just like I don't invest a lot of time and energy in finding the VERY BEST MASCARA -- when I need some, I grab a tube of Maybelline at Target or CVS the next time I'm in there anyway buying asprin or whatever, put some on, and it looks fine to me.

I still do from time to time but not at Macys, Bloomies etc. since what they stock usually doesn't interest me. I do check out the Kiosks more often than not because you never know what you might find there.

My mall has no fragrance kiosks! I feel so oppressed ...

I live in too small an area to sustain a fragrance shop in a mall, but I do enjoy going up to Toronto and checking out the department stores there. I do have a local store that carries L'Artisan, Penhaligon's, Geo Trumper, Tokyo Milk and a few other brands not far away so I get by. And I hear they're adding By Killian and Annick Goutal this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    Hell no!
    Wise man!

I buy Aramis products from Dillards since their fragrances are not discounted significantly on line. With few exceptions I buy exclusively on line because of the better availability and the significant savings.

Yes.....The Mall is a Great place to shop if You have Great Malls in your area..... Many Malls have Neimans, Saks, Nordstroms, Blue Mercury, Bigelow, Sephora and many more Great stores.....There are some Malls that have Hermes, Barney's and Armani Stores and many other great stores for fragrance.
    I guess it depends on the Mall.....
    Gary

Morning Star

I have always hit a wide range of stores, from little side shops (e.g. Perfumes West, 2099 Westwood Blvd, Los Angeles CA) through the major department stores (e.g. The Big Three down on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills: Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Barneys), specialty boutiques, Sephora, and of course The Scent Bar over on Beverly Blvd. I even bought some YSL M7 at one of those perfume kiosks in a mall once. I'd probably save more money ordering online all the time, but I like the physical experience of shopping too.

No. I'm "allergic" to malls.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    No. I'm "allergic" to malls.
    Actialuna, baby, if we lived in the same metro area I'd say let's meet at the mall for some sniffin' and playing mall rats.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Like Astaroth I live in an area with way too much access to too many fragrance stores and enjoy the ability to indulge in instant gratification. Lucky Scent's Scent Bar, Le Labo Boutique, Barney's, Saks, Niemans and virtually every designer has a store in Beverly Hills. In addition, there are perfume carts at many malls with discounted designer scents and a number of quirky perfume stores as well. There's about a 3 mile radius around Beverly Hills that is maddening.

It is rare that I see a scent mentioned in here that I can't rundown on the weekend if so inclined. Except for L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Eau Extreme. Arghhhh.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th June 2010 at 06:24 AM.

As a relatively new collector, I do try and get to the malls to sample fragrances. Being in Syracuse, New York, the selection is limited to Macy's and Perfumania.

I like developing relationships w/ some of the more friendly sales associates, who have interesting things to say about their favorite fragrances. I'm more likely to try something I wouldn't normally after discussing it with someone who is excited about it.

I do wish the selection was wider and deeper here, though. Have to travel to NYC to sample the niche houses.

60+ % of my current wardrobe I've bought at Department Stores and Discount Stores such as Marshals, TJ Maxx, or Ross. The remaining 40% I have purchased from online retailers/discounters. Fragrances that I can't find in any department store, such as BalMan, Blu Stremo, Carven Homme, and R de Capucci, I buy online. I will also buy a fragrance online if I there is a substantial savings over purchasing it from a retail store. It just depends. I will only pay full price from a major department store if the fragrance is not available anywhere else (like Otto Kern Man by Otto Kern and Tactics by Shiseido).