Code of Conduct

Default Pl. could you help me with some suggestions on seasalt/fresh/marine/herby scents for men?

Hello,

First post!

Special birthday (30!) coming up for my man.
    I would love to buy him a special scent but he is very picky...
    ... So I'm turning to guys for some inspiration.

Having narrowed it down, I think he likes salty, acquatic/marine scents as far as I can gather.
    Very fresh but not citrusy which is quite a tall order. The most enthusiastic reaction I have seen
    from him is for Acqua di Sale by Profumum. He loved that, but was a sample I had, and I
    can't track it down in London, (UK where I live).

He used to wear Clive Christian 1872 which is pretty herby, so I think that type would work.
    On me, he likes Black Orchid, so he can tolerate heavy perfumes.
    But nothing woody or afershave like as they seem to go down like a lead balloon.
    Any suggestions out there?

Many thanks,
    JB
    x

Default Re: Pl. could you help me with some suggestions on seasalt/fresh/marine/herby scents for men?

You want marine/herby/fresh and heavy ? My nose hasn't encountered anything like that. But I would recommend : Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian (tropical and fresh) ; aquatic/marine? I'm sure that if he used to wear 1872 he wouldn't even think of wearing Acqua Di Gio/Bvlgari Aqva which fall very well in the category you described.

Definitely try Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 , Wall Street by Bond No. 9 , Erolfa by Creed, Green Irish Tweed by Creed , Acqua Di Parma Colonia.

If he's picky then let him choose one.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Default Re: Pl. could you help me with some suggestions on seasalt/fresh/marine/herby scents for men?

L'Eau d'Issey?

Go fragrance testing with him one day. Make it seem like you're just there to have fun and test some fragrances. This way you can see what he likes and then come back to buy it.

your BF definitely has very fine taste in scents. i think he may have already tried out most of the designers out there... likes of Bulgari Aqua Marine et al.. cant think of many scents fitting that criteria....except, Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet
    Last edited by jenson; 10th June 2010 at 04:15 PM.

Creed Erolfa does the salty, marine notes extremely well. Good longevity too.

I'm wearing it today.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

EDP Frederic Malle - Lys méditerranée
    Awsome fresh mediterranean/floral scent.

Another suggestion, which has not been mentioned yet, may also include Chevignon Brand for Men, a top notch-quality, yet affordable designer frag, a wonderfully elegant and warm leathery concoction with citrus-herbal notes and a drydown combining cedar with hints of salty air and even the mineral, slightly moist, smell of wet sand
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 10th June 2010 at 04:35 PM.

Bvlgari Aqva Marine Pour Homme

You DEFINITELY you have him try THE DIFFERENT COMPANY'S SEL DE VETIVER. It's incredible and very unique. It actually has a seasalt note in the note pyramid. Seriously, give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. It's the best fragrance I've experienced in a while and I've experienced A LOT of 'em.

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's is a salty aquatic/marine with hints of lime. Also check out Nautica Oceans. Both are super-cheapies, but I still like to wear them near the beach.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Please try Sel Marin by Heeley. It sounds perfect for him!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26130017.html

How about Kenzo Homme?
    There is no love in modern life
    There is no hope in modern life

Sur la Plage

Calypso Marine by Calypso Christiane Celle - the BEST marine fragrance

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210527.html
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Mare by Creative Universe. 5 stars
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

I get much of that vibe from Voyage d'Hermes. I don't *like* it very much, but I do get that vibe.

I think I'm with Petruccijc on Calypso Marine. Acqua di Sale is great but hard to find, ungodly expensive, and the metallic topnotes are grating sometimes.

Creed Erolfa and Bulgari Aqua are both fresh and a bit salty, but both citrus. The citrus is a bit dirty in both cases. Tabarome millesime also by Creed has a sweaty, salty ginger note that I love, whilst being very fresh (and the citrus is dominated by the ginger). GIT is beautiful, light, fresh but sweet rather than salty - well worth a punt though.

There is also the Kenzo homme/homme fresh duo, less citrus than the above but salty; not to everyon'e taste however.

Could also try Tom Ford Extreme which, whilst not an aquatic, has a lot in common with Black Orchid.

Good luck - not the easiest thing to buy a fragrance for a partner. Would advise you look at some of the recommendations above in the directory. Maybe try to get something less obvious - I always used to buy no. 5 for mine, now look a bit beyond the best known names, makes it more interesting and surprising for the recipient.

dnc

" think he likes salty, acquatic/marine scents"

Garrigue by MPG

from what I know of Kenzo PH
    on a side note, that sel de vetiver sounds like what I've been looking for for a while.

Sel Marin for sure.

Eau de Biarritz by Comptoir Sud Pacifique meets the criteria but also has a little soft floral in it.

I can't believe that nobody has suggested Millesime Imperial yet. I has all the necessary notes, except the herbal ones.

I was just gonna say what supperman said! +1 Creed MI or Sean John Unforgivable Multi-Platinum if you can find it.
    sb[]p

Get him a 1oz or 2.5oz Creed Erolfa. It is good stuff, and very well done seasalt marine.

Off-Scenter

Another voice raised in favor of Sel Marin. Sel de Vetiver and Fleurs de Sel are worthy contenders as well.

Why don't you check out Oxygene Homme by Lanvin??? Rather than have me describe it here, please read the reviews. It is my scent of the day today, and it sounds like it is just what you are looking for!

you might wanna try Kenzo Pour Homme

+1 for Sel Marin, also Fougeres Marine (Montale), and (Profumi del Forte) Tirrenico.

Morning Star

Acqua di Sale is the best and most authentic fragrance in this category, in my opinion. A few others to consider:

i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare (great melon note in here, but not overpowering, mostly ocean)
    Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Hyle (half the price of Acqua di Sale, and almost as good)

Thank you all so much! Some great suggestions to try out here.
    I've read good things about Kenzo PH, and also love the sound of the less obvious recommendations - he does like exclusivity (the poser!), so it's a trip to Libertys/Selfridges and Les Senteurs for me this weekend.

Bisous
    JB
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Creed Erolfa does the salty, marine notes extremely well. Good longevity too.

I'm wearing it today.
    -Agreed!

Try Annick Goutal Vetiver, it's shocking how much this smells like the beach without all that typical suntan lotion stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense