Code of Conduct

Question Please recommend? New here and I need a new fragrance...

So pleased to have stumbled upon this site!!!

I am currently searching for new perfume(s), the right ones for me. I would love to hear your suggestions, for everyday use, evening or summer/winter.
    Something that is long lasting and has several stages to look forward to as the day wears on. Not too talc/powdery, for eg Guerlain Samsara nice but on me too powdery, granny-ish and by the end of the day, frankly annoying.

I'm a 29yo female. Very calm never stressed, confident but not brash, harmonious.

I'm mostly attracted to these sorts: oriental/spicy/vanilla-ish/sweet-but-not-sickly/ gourmands?/some fruity (eg mango/passionfruity types rather than apples!).
    Other smells I love:vanilla!!, jasmine, roses, lily, tabasco, chillis!!

In the past I have
    owned and loved : Issey Miyake Feu d'Issey (loved it!! so complex. would buy again if I could), Thierry M Angel (absolutely love it but I always ended up smelling like an old man so had to stop wearing it), Miss Dior Cherie (loved, but on me smelled like old man again)

Owned and went off them: Cacharel Liberte, CKEscape, Obsession, Tommy Girl (migraine). I steer clear of, or have found never liked on others: Cacharel Noa, Kenzo Flower, CKBe (or One?), overly citrusy, too floral, oceanic.
    Have loved on others: Hypnotic Poison, Angel, KenzoAmour...

So please comment on my list to test so far: Dior Poison (again), Bulgari Omnia and Jasmin Noir, Kenzo Amour, Emporio She, Prada Intense, Nina Ricci or Ricci Ricci?, Lolita Lempicka (same), Joop, Thierry Mugleur Innocent, Chanel No5 ( interested but yet to try it), Oscar (de la Renta, classic)

Phew. Sorry for the length!

Default Re: Please recommend? New here and I need a new fragrance...

Unisex tropical fruit fragrances instantly makes me think of Hermes' Jardin series, in particular Un Jardin en Méditerranée (figs) and Un Jardin sur le Nil (mango). Really really great fragrances, very light and have a sort of "Mediterranean sea breeze" feel to them. Perfect for summer. Can't vouch for their longevity as I've never worn them properly and tested, but definitely worth a try.

jardin sur le nil is a good recommendation IMO

I will also recommend two male scents that you would probably like on yourself
    caron's l'anarchiste and arpege pour homme

Other smells I love:vanilla!!, jasmine, roses, lily, tabasco, chillis!!
    I just tried a sample of something you might really like -- Sahlini's La Femme. Their whole line is inspired by India, and La Femme is a strong, warm jasmine over a vanilla-musk base. The vanilla is very prominent but not a sweet cupcakey vanilla; I didn't really get the musk. It's not remotely powdery. Lasts all day and develops well as the vanilla emerges.

It's on the expensive side, but the company sells samples quite cheap from their Web site; I think I paid $2.50 per scent.

I'm pretty sure you won't like Chanel No. 5 or Nina (on your test list)! But it's always good to smell everything, and sometimes you hit real surprises. I think there's a good chance you WILL like Lolita Lempicka.
    Last edited by Thalia; 10th June 2010 at 07:55 PM.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I'm pretty sure you won't like Chanel No. 5 or Nina (on your test list)! But it's always good to smell everything, and sometimes you hit real surprises. I think there's a good chance you WILL like Lolita Lempicka.

Yes the Chanel No5 was one I didnt believe was really me when I smelled the test card, and the guy in the store was just filling in so didn't really know what he was talking about when he suggested it!
    Thanks for the La Femme recommendation, I'll try and find a sample, and the Lempicka one too.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, have put them on my list to test!

I just wore Bulgaria Omnia yesterday - its soft, spicy and fairly sweet. Lasts a good while on my skin. I don't have the ability to describe the various notes like most of the posters here, but I really like it, and it's fairly inexpensive on the on-line discounters.

Welcome, songstress3! You might try Chanel Coco Mademoiselle for the soft oriental floral with aldehydes. Always try *not* to buy based on a test card. After all, you wear perfume on the skin (or sometimes hair or clothing.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

its a guys fragrance but you should atleast try JOOP! Homme. i think its unisex and its got vanilla, flowers, and an overall candy-like vibe to it

Great, will definitely try it soon!

Joop is one that I remember smelling on a guy quite a while back and finding it incredible. Its on my list for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Welcome, songstress3! You might try Chanel Coco Mademoiselle for the soft oriental floral with aldehydes. Always try *not* to buy based on a test card. After all, you wear perfume on the skin (or sometimes hair or clothing.)
    Thank you, had been wondering if to add Coco Mademoiselle after reading a bit on it. No I definitely won't buy based on the test card alone, have learnt that lesson a long time ago! I am quite deliberately taking my time in finding a new fragrance this time round, and testing only one at a time (or could I get away with one on each arm per day to compare??). I really don't want to buy yet another one that ends up making me smell like old unwashed man/lady. What is it about my body chemistry!!?? urgh.

Blog Entries

I'm wearing Boucheron Trouble tonight and it seems to fit your description of a spicy, sweetish, vanilla (with amber) very nicely. Very few people mention spice, and I'm at a loss to define it myself, but I think it has an almost anise-like quality that's very noticeable in the opening. Beguiling, sexy, but not pushy or overt.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous