Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Amouage Sandal / Sandalwood Attar

Can anyone comment on on the nature of this sandalwood? I think it's cheap enough to warrant a blind buy purchase, and I'm curious to know which direction Amouage's treatment of this note leans- be it spicy, smooth, sharp, etc. For reference, I've sampled the sandalwoods below, and am wondering if it bears any similarity to these:

Diptique Tam Dao
    Profumum Santalum
    Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore
    MPG Santal Nobile

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amouage Sandal / Sandalwood Attar

It's warm, smooth, wears close and smells like real Mysore Sandalwwod Oil to me. If you know real Mysore oil you will be pleasantly surprised, if you don't you may rethink your idea of what Sandalwood actually smells like. IMO this is not a 'composition using Sandalwood (or a facsimile of allusion to it) as the above mentioned fragrances - it is more or less a base oil, probably lightly tweaked. It's my one and only 'layering' item, I sometimes add a bit when I wear Santal Mysore. I'm glad to have it in my collection but then I used to buy Mysore Oil in the 70s when you could get the real thing so it has a certain nostalgia attached.

PS Since above I have chatted with one or two other members and we are of the same opinion re: my 'lightly tweaked' comment. My guess is that a touch of synthetic sandalwood may have been added to help with the bit of added projecttion and longevity that this has compared to pure Mysore Oil, one member said he thought maybe there is a hint of saffron in there for 'brightness'. Still don't know - whatever it is does not interfere with the genuine Mysore scent at all, simply enhances it.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 26th August 2011 at 03:19 AM.

I'm somewhat interested in this. Anyone have anymore comments? I remember smelling Mysore Sandalwood and it kind of smelt like coconut water.

Post Thanks / Like

i won't compare it to anything, but i have about 7 ml and it's great stuff. i put a bit behind each ear and smell it from time to time throughout the day. this is a guilty indulgence of mine, as i don't think anyone in the world smells it but me when i wear it and i couldn't care less. if you like sandalwood, i'd venture to say this stuff will put a few smiles on your face.

eric b

What does it actually smell like? How does it compare in terms of quality to Tribute or Homage?

Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me of the straight Mysore oil I have. It's definitely not the Aussie sandal...Somewhat like coconut water is a very good way to describe it, in my opinion. Very linear...It's not one that's named after sandalwood it based on the same. It's all sandalwood.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

i don't have either, sorry. i do own creed bois de santal and santal imperial (both from green flacons), tam dao, vintage egoiste, vintage santal noble, vintage extract of mysore sandalwood, yardley sandalwood, patou pour homme (i get a lot of sandalwood in that one) and others and none of the sandalwood in any of those is as smooth and "polished" for lack of a better word as the attar. that's about as descriptive as i can get. i bought it blind, as sandalwood is my singular favorite note, and have been thrilled since the moment i first smelled it.

eric b
    Last edited by e-dub; 26th August 2011 at 02:29 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone compare it to the Montale Santal de Mysore perfume, that IMO is fantastic?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac