Code of Conduct

Exclamation Mild Orientals, their connotation and the people who wear them

I was wondering what kind of image/person came to mind when thinking of people who wear mild orientals with insense such as Elixir. Please don't say Ortodox Monks...

Would they be appropriate for all year round wear? I am quite a formal person and my whole personality radiates with eccentric formality, would it be appropriate to wear such fragrances for evening wear? Be it in a double breasted lounge suit with a bow tie/regular tie with handkerchief or a Dinner Jacket. Please comment and advise.

Default Re: Mild Orientals, their connotation and the people who wear them

By the way, are mild orientals (when worn on men) more appreciated by women or men generally?

As you know, orientals are more traditionally worn in cooler weather, but my opinion is to wear whatever you enjoy. Perhaps just stay with a lighter application in warmer weather. I don't know that I've sampled Elixir, but none of the Penhaligon's I've sampled have been too heavy to wear all year.

Go for it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    I was wondering what kind of image/person came to mind when thinking of people who wear mild orientals with insense such as Elixir. Please don't say Ortodox Monks...

Would they be appropriate for all year round wear? I am quite a formal person and my whole personality radiates with eccentric formality, would it be appropriate to wear such fragrances for evening wear? Be it in a double breasted lounge suit with a bow tie/regular tie with handkerchief or a Dinner Jacket. Please comment and advise.
    The image that comes to mind is a person who knows his way enough to skirt around the mainstream. IMO, Elixir et al are not usually known to the mainstream shopper, but to those who seek its like out. Again, most buyers will plump for the modern sweet/aquatic/generic frag than, say, Opium pour Homme.

Mild orientals do well all year round and (if applied appropriately) actually bloom in the heat. Let us alsoremember it is usually not to cold or chilly in most of the Orient.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

What comes to my mind is an older, sophisticated man.

Thank you JonB and perfaddict, my one fear was that it might turn with sweat during the summer when I go to countries where 30C Degrees is the normal swimming pool temperature, do you think I'll be fine?

Klute, thank you, unfortunately I am young! What gives you the idea of an old man with orientals?

Hm...I guess they strike me as being more classic than modern. I personally would associate lighter, fresher scents with young people. With women the image that comes to mind is a middle aged woman going to the opera wearing a fur coat and a lot of makeup and with men it would be a man with a twirled mustache and a pocket watch. Sorry, my mind works in awful clichés...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    As you know, orientals are more traditionally worn in cooler weather, but my opinion is to wear whatever you enjoy. Perhaps just stay with a lighter application in warmer weather. I don't know that I've sampled Elixir, but none of the Penhaligon's I've sampled have been too heavy to wear all year.

Go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    The image that comes to mind is a person who knows his way enough to skirt around the mainstream. IMO, Elixir et al are not usually known to the mainstream shopper, but to those who seek its like out. Again, most buyers will plump for the modern sweet/aquatic/generic frag than, say, Opium pour Homme.

Mild orientals do well all year round and (if applied appropriately) actually bloom in the heat. Let us alsoremember it is usually not to cold or chilly in most of the Orient.
    Very well said, gentlemen!

Folks like perfaddict and myself, do not experience climates that feature the commonly known "cooler" months. The only way to enjoy everything, is to apply appropriately as he mentioned. Of course, I'm sure there are more fitting weather conditions to wear certain heavier orientals, but we make the best of what we have. : )

Some of my fresh scents react not so nicely with sweat, so I don't think it is exclusive to orientals. Come to think of it, my sweeter heavier scents tend to do the job of "masking" much better than my citrus and aquatics haha! So I think you'll be just fine.
    Last edited by MFJ; 12th June 2010 at 05:56 PM.