Code of Conduct

Default Bug or Server Issue Again?

A couple of years ago accessing the forum was unenjoyable, as it was slow as molasses and wonky to surf due to a server limitation. A server upgrade corrected the problem, but lately the same problems have begun to reappear, and they are unique to this site. And i am noticing similar issues being posted by other members. Is the current server up to the task?
    Last edited by Fellswoop; 11th June 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Default Re: Bug or Server Issue Again?

I am experiencing the same problems.

A few problems as well now and then. Mainly waiting quite a long time after entering my log in details and also when replying to a post. It's pot luck, seems great then the problems kick in for a while before returning to normal.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, me too. Slow ,not loading properly etc.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

"The web address you entered is not available[more information]You were trying to go to www.basenotes.net

CloseA 50x server error was received attempting to serve your request, indicating that either the server is currently unable to handle the request or the request timed out waiting for a response. The error may have been due to a temporary issue and therefore you could try to access the web address again."

I routinely get the above message when I try to either access or post to Basenotes or open a new page in Basenotes at or near the hour (e.g. this was at 5.59PM EST today) Usually I can access wherever I was going within a 4-5 minutes wait when I try again. I am currently on AT&T U-Verse 12mbs fiber-optic internet service and that means around 6200kbps download speed for me according to www.broadband.gov.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th June 2010 at 10:58 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

I think I have what kbe has - ATT U-Verse fiber optic stuff.
    You just can't do anything with basenotes,for 1-3 minutes on the hour ,kbe. But today, the page isn't loading properly ,takes forever esp. this morning.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th June 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Until today the server problem has always been from about 1 minute before the hour to one minute after the hour by my clock. Earlier today it began 10 minutes before the hour and lasted until just after the hour. I can handle a few minutes of no access, but if it's longer I tend to go and do something else.

Basenotes Institution

Me too, 30 Roses.

Yeah, I confirm that the problem is still there, just before to a couple minutes after the hour, EVERY single hour, with intermittent longer outages. Grant, if this was going on with my server or host, I'd pitch a big ol' hissy fit. And stomp, too. Probably quite a bit, to be honest, if the problem continued as long as this one has.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Question Does basenotes suck for anyone else?

Does basenotes always seem down, or is it just my Internet connection?

Default Re: Does basenotes suck for anyone else?

Hey simplysim. It's a known issue. See the treads in the Community Centre for more information, here: http://www.basenotes.net/forums/43-Community-Centre
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Indeed, yesterday and several days ago, I had the very same problem regarding the unavailability of Basenotes during a few hours a day, yet, after these few hours elapsed, it usually all got back to normal

Morning Star

Same problems here, just a minute or two after the hour. There might be an hourly cronjob (assuming a server running some flavor of Linux) occurring on the server, which is causing page loads to time out during this window. Having said that, I'm also seeing very slow load times during the period just before 12 noon UT.

Please be careful in your word choice, especially for the titles.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Another 'bug'?

When I first log on to Basenotes and click on 'Forum' and then click 'New Posts' the list that appears often doesn't have all the new posts shown. Today (around 8:00 AM EST) I noted that both SOTD threads were missing from the list. More I am sure but those two stuck out. I had to go to the individual Men's and Women's forums to access them. Anyone else noticed this?
    Last edited by kbe; 14th June 2010 at 12:27 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

The infamous Basenotes server is a rickety old steampunk affair and prone to frequent breakdowns and temper tantrums ... we really need to do a whiparound so Grant can invest in something a little more substantial and reliable

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Please be careful in your word choice, especially for the titles.
    Agreed.... you can change the title by going to ... Edit Post - Go Advanced....
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th June 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Basenotes *never* sucks!!! Are the pages loading slowly? Yes. But Basenotes as a community does NOT suck.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Well there are a lot of better ways to put forth your complaint.
    Having said that, I think basenotes does need to improve its accessibility. It just has been going downhill for a while now..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    basenotes does need to improve its accessibility. It just has been going downhill for a while now..
    http://www.basenotes.net/payments.php
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Are you saying basenoters who are not *supporting members* cannot complain about the poor accessibility?

If you are, I heartedly disagree.

Default Re: Does the basenotes server ever suck for anyone else? Yes. However...

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Are you saying basenoters who are not *supporting members* cannot complain about the poor accessibility?

If you are, I heartedly disagree.
    I don't think that was the implication, just a little hint that if there were more paying basenoters perhaps the server hardware issue would be made mood by a shiny new non-squirrel (or is it hamster?)-powered server.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

I only wonder why there are server issues lately, more than anything else. I mean ,when Basenotes is slow loading or whatever... I usually go do something else . It's the 'mystery' that interests me.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I only wonder why there are server issues lately, more than anything else. I mean ,when Basenotes is slow loading or whatever... I usually go do something else . It's the 'mystery' that interests me.
    The hourly regularity of this issue strongly indicates that this is an hourly cronjob being started on the server which is temporarily monopolizing either the disk drive or the CPU. If the server is a Unix/Linux machine, I would recommend running a process status at 15 seconds after the hour, and make sure the command includes flags to report both percentage CPU usage and in-process memory usage. Or, the command "top" (described here) provides the information in a user-friendly format. If the server is a Windows machine, running the Task Manager and sorting the contents of the "Processes" tab by "CPU" and "Mem Usage" will accomplish the same thing. It's more than likely a CPU allocation problem. The type of error messages in the responses are clearly indicating that the listening socket is starving out HTTP connections while the CPU is busy with other processing, especially since it's very unlikely that there is an hourly drain on socket descriptor resources.

I was also seeing some time delays in connections to the doubleclick ad server, so doubleclick.com might also be having issues with an hourly cronjob which are slowing load times for BN pages. That will be harder to diagnose, since it's unlikely Google will allow anyone to run low-level diagnostic commands on their servers.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 15th June 2010 at 09:40 AM.

Hah! I've learned something. When I first read "cronjob" I thought it was a derogatory term.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

SendMail Daemon perhaps? I've seen that sucker bring processor utilization way up when it isn't configured properly.
    Last edited by adonis; 15th June 2010 at 10:47 AM.

I have ALWAYS had problems with BN server, drops the page, slow, lengthy navigation - I thought it was my computer or something!
    Relieved to know it is BN problems -

reine

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    The hourly regularity of this issue strongly indicates that this is an hourly cronjob being started on the server which is temporarily monopolizing either the disk drive or the CPU. If the server is a Unix/Linux machine, I would recommend running a process status at 15 seconds after the hour, and make sure the command includes flags to report both percentage CPU usage and in-process memory usage. Or, the command "top" (described here) provides the information in a user-friendly format. If the server is a Windows machine, running the Task Manager and sorting the contents of the "Processes" tab by "CPU" and "Mem Usage" will accomplish the same thing. It's more than likely a CPU allocation problem. The type of error messages in the responses are clearly indicating that the listening socket is starving out HTTP connections while the CPU is busy with other processing, especially since it's very unlikely that there is an hourly drain on socket descriptor resources.

I was also seeing some time delays in connections to the doubleclick ad server, so doubleclick.com might also be having issues with an hourly cronjob which are slowing load times for BN pages. That will be harder to diagnose, since it's unlikely Google will allow anyone to run low-level diagnostic commands on their servers.
    Thanks ! I took what I could out of that - not very computer minded , I'm afraid ! *LOL*

This has been happening for 2 months now - seems like a LOOONG time to fix something like this...
    Maybe it is a very complicated problem?

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    This has been happening for 2 months now - seems like a LOOONG time to fix something like this...
    Maybe it is a very complicated problem?
    These are usually not terribly easy things to diagnose. A couple of years ago I used to do contract work at one of the larger American ISPs, and we had many lengthy meetings in which we would try to troubleshoot why customer pages would load slowly. You have to take into account that most pages have a very complicated mix of Flash, JavaScript, and third-party URLs. Any combination of these things can end up being the slow dog pulling the dogsled, and sometimes the slowdown doesn't happen reliably enough to be examined closely. Add to this the complication of other processes competing for CPU/socket/storage resources on the same server machine, and it becomes pure hi-tech detective work.

Hey Astaroth. I believe Grant mentioned the hourly downtime is intentional to run some combination of maintenance scripts. Hopefully when Grant gets the new SQLified directory up and running the server(s) will see significantly less load. If I recall correctly the directory is currently a flat-file database Grant put together himself ages ago.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Hey Astaroth. I believe Grant mentioned the hourly downtime is intentional to run some combination of maintenance scripts. Hopefully when Grant gets the new SQLified directory up and running the server(s) will see significantly less load. If I recall correctly the directory is currently a flat-file database Grant put together himself ages ago.
    Correct. Going to do another 2am-er tonight to get some more headway on this...