Code of Conduct

Default Wow has Avon's Wild Country been watered down over the years

All I can say is wow. Someone with a fetish for collecting Avon bottles donate a bunch of 70s era Avon bottles new in box to a local thrift store. While I don't use much of anything from Avon (I did like Everafter but it is discontinued and past the collectible bottle era), I do like Wild Country and they just so happened to have an old sealed bottle of it so for $1 I bought it. All I can say is wow. This was cologne concentration, not aftershave and man is it powerful. I recently bought a modern bottle and that stuff is weak in comparison, in fact I happened to be wearing it today. I've had better sillage from the Wild Country deoderant and talc. While it would take a good few sprays of the new stuff to get any sort of longevity, I put a few dabs of this on my wrist and it was like modern Wild Country times 10. Luckily the black glass bottle seems to have done a fairly good job of preserving it by keeping the light out. Its the same stuff only way stronger.

I've noticed this a lot with more budget colonges, or once expensive ones that became budget, through reformulation or cheapening they've gotten weaker. I'm sure the ingredients cost more now, and you can actually feel that the older stuff has more in it just by the skin feel.

Royal Copenhagen is the same, a spray or two of the old stuff is golden, you need a heavy dose of the 8oz bottle to get it to last, same with the big oz Pierre Cardin, I practically have to soak myself in that, but I remember testing it in smaller bottles years ago at TJ Maxx and a spray or two was quite strong. Circa early 80s Stetson Aftershave is almost as strong as the current cologne.

The modern Wild Country, while it smells exactly the same, I put on this morning, quite a bit because it doesn't last very long, and had to reapply by mid afternoon before I went out. Consequently a simple dab of the old cologne, to see if it was still good would obviously last as long as quite a few spritzes of the new stuff. I guess I won't complain because at least they haven't harmed the smell, and the stuff is dirt cheap. Such a nice barbershop type smell, it is comforting to wear on occasion. I can almost guarantee this 3.25oz bottle will outlast 2 modern ones though.

Default Re: Wow has Avon's Wild Country been watered down over the years

Unfortunately, as you even said, this is what is happening in the industry. Reformulations, cheaper ingredients, restriction on the fixatives, but most of all just the lack of pride in product. These companies know people will still buy the product, so they cheapen ingredients and think only of their bottom line. No more thought is put into creating, maintaining, or presenting a quality product. These my friend are the days of greed, even on the least expensive fragrances.
    It is a shame though, Avon used to make some nice fragrances. I knew a woman who wore Timeless and it was really nice and was quite the sillage monster. I can only imagine what it has now become. I guess this is our big welcome to what the 21st century promises to be.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Thankfully due to collectible bottles there seems to be a decent amount of vintage product floating around in this case. Just most of it is aftershave. I have a feeling this cologne variant will hold up over the cousre of the day like I wish the current version would.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have the new version and have not smelt the older one. I think WC is a beautiful budget frag. Quite strong, compared with today's standards. I get good longevity with it though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Take in mind time can make scents smell stronger, for the alcohol evaporates and what is left is a stronger concentration of essential oils. Anyway, watering down does make sense when it comes to increment usage frequency: this means in mkt terms cheapos have to be watery, a condition that does not apply to xpensive scents.

Basenotes Institution

OMG, I would love to smell vintage Wild Country. My dad used to wear it when I was growing up all of the time and he scented his handkerchiefs with it. Good stuff! The new juice, is a shadow of it's former self.

$1? Wow!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th June 2010 at 03:48 AM.

The scent itself hasn't changed, it is just weaker, unlike some where reformulations mess it up, just a bit watered down. Evaporation in the bottle of the old stuff was minimal enough that it wouldn't cause that substantial a difference in concentration. The old stuff is stronger and lasts longer. If you apply enough of the new stuff it lasts long enough, the old stuff just requires less. Not that big a deal, but wow, side by side them and its amazing. I mainly bought it to save a few bucks on an already cheap cologne, wasn't expecting that much a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    The scent itself hasn't changed, it is just weaker...
    Something happened to me along your observations. A foreign relative staying over at my parent's home for the hollidays uses Wild Country's deodorant. He applied it after taking a shower and got out of the bathroom leaving a tremendous sillage after him, it was so strong that it made me ask what was it. When he told me, I asked him to hand me the can in order to check out where it was made (in Chile). That made me wonder if the Chilean version of the Eau de Toilette is stronger than the one available in neighbour countries (Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil) and the USA. I havn't got an answer to that, but be sure I'll check it out as soon as I have the chance of visiting family in Santiago de Chile.

Avon's marketing policiies are sort of different to those that are the common rule among multinational corporations: the bet on local production and they will include brands in their product mix or discontinue them based on local decisions. For example, Class Act is available in Brazil, not in Argentina, Woody Musk and Musk are avaliable in Argentina and Brazil. but not in the USA, and so forth. Mesmerize is available in the USA buit not in South America's Southern Cone... and so on.

Blog Entries

i think its been the unfortunate trend, lighter fragrances. in my opinion its this idea that guys are supposed to either not wear cologne, or if they do, its so light they might as well not be wearing cologne (hence why ADG is so popular). thats just my theory and i could be way off, but im really starting to think that is in fact the case. SO MANY colognes, especially the popular ones are all citrus, aquatic, watery garbage. the only fragrances (note: FRAGRANCE, not cologne) that are worth anyones time are the older ones, even allegedly popular ones like Le Male

Neurosis, I think so too. I tried CK Free and I had the feeling there is a substantial market for men that do not like the idea of wearing perfumes. This one among many others make me think that.

I've used the deoderant before and it seems to carry on longer than the cologne itself for whatever reason possibly the binders or whatever they use in it. The vintage version of the cologne just lasts longer and is stronger. I was merely quite surprised at the observation, I was expecting more of the same and only expecting to save a few dollars, but that bottle will likely last much longer because of this. I'd probably guess it is simple economy, you can't make a ton on a budget cologne if you're using a lot of oils. I paid $8 or $9 for the last bottle of new Wild Country. It would be interesting to know if country to country differences make one version stronger or weaker.

Well the Avon donations continue, this time it was aftershave concentrations of Wild Country, Spicy, Oland and Tai Winds. They had two of each of the Spicy, Oland and Tai Winds, I had smelled Oland before and liked it so it was a blind buy. Based on the conditions of the boxes (crisp and new) this stuff was stored well. The vintage Wild Country aftershave is IMHO the exact proportion of the current cologne. Exact same smell and longevity. I actually finished the last of an almost empty bottle of current Wild Country this morning so I was able to get a fairly good comparison.

If I knew it was stored well I'd buy vintage Wild Country as opposed to the current stuff just for the added longevity especially in the cologne variant. There are a few bottles left which I might just go back and buy simply because its so much cheaper than buying the current stuff (which is cheap to begin with). I'm guessing that had Spicy (which reminds me vaguely of the old version of Old Spice), Oland and Tai Winds been continued on to today they'd survive in a concentration much like these aftershaves.

Tai Winds is excellent stuff. I remember it coming in these big marlen fish shaped bottles that were magnificent.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

In case anyone is interested, I can't place Oland. Tai Winds reminds me a lot of Mennen's Trouble which was a nice scent.
    Last edited by man114; 14th October 2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: grammar correction

I, too, came across a large stash of Avon colognes/perfumes today at a Thrift Store. They were all under $5, mostly after shaves. I grabbed Wild Country After Shave in a Bowling Pin and a Thermos bottle, a huge bottle of Leather A/S in a Sterling Six bottle, and a bottle of Bravo A/S. I was at first disappointed that they didn't have them in Cologne concentrations, but after smelling them -- I don't think my nose could take them any stronger. That's not an insult! I'm quite impressed with the longevity and sillage that these produce!

Leather is particularly nice. Bravo reminds me a lot of Clubman Pinaud. And here I thought Wild Country was their only answer to a "barbershop fragrance," but Bravo is almost an exact copy! Wild Country is barbershop but on the sweet side.

It made me a little sad to find these, though. Avon really marketed the hell out of their collectible bottles when they sold them, and apparently a lot of people followed suit. Now they're all over eBay and nobody cares. But that's what happens when the market is flooded, I suppose.

There are way too many still around for them to have any real value. I mean I have at least a dozen full vintage ones here in boxes and it seems every few weeks I run across one or two more. Still its an interesting way to sample discontinued scents. Some of them aren't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    In case anyone is interested, I can't place Oland.
    Because it's an oddity, even for Avon. Best I can come up with is, it's an attempt to copy Aramis, which was still very new and popular when Oland was released. I think Avon's later release of Clint is a reformulation of Oland, and is somewhat closer to Aramis, but not too.