Code of Conduct

Default Odori: Most boring niche line in existance?

So I was in Barney's doing some sampling today, and I noticed they had the Odori line which I had never tried before. Talk about weak, watery, boring scents! I think the only way I would buy these is if they were in the bargain bin at the drug store. I said something of that nature to the SA who was helping me and even she said that she found the entire very dull and only tried selling them to people she could tell were the types that think "money equals quality" LOL

Default Re: Odori: Most boring niche line in existance?

I also found the Odori line very weak, after sampling them, but Bois 1920 which I'm certain is the same company/perfumer I find far better.

I do like Odori Tabacco. It is not weak to me. Very solid pipe tobacco vibe. Cuoio is actually pretty nice but is a bit boring and sedate for my tastes and can't hold a candle in the leather world to several other scents like Tuscan Leather or Royal English Leather.

Their other scents....

For scents that are pricey, they don't have enough of a name or presence to get a lot of traction. At my Barneys, the SAs seem to be a blend of Barneys employees and reps for Malle, Lutens, or Le Labo.

I find this true at many of the high end department stores. There is a Clive Christian rep at one the stores I frequent who unashamedly bashes the crap out of any scent other than CC. Same is true for some of the other reps of fragrance lines.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 12th June 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I do like Odori Tabacco. It is not weak to me.
    Amen to that. I really liked the tobacco fragrance from the line, found it to be almost a leather fragrance, with a unique accord I haven't run across elsewhere. Strong and long-lasting on me.

+1 for Odori Tabacco and Bois 1920 Extreme (also made by Odori) is a current fav.

As a strong and aggressive topic as you presented philmcphe I'd like to hear some objective insights to back up your arguments. Or haven't you heard about constructive and coherent argumentation before? Craig seem to fall in same oblivion of childish subjective reviews regarding reviewing a fragrance and its nature. Which in all its absurdity do reminds me of the ''childrens sandbox games''. One kid says ''your playcar is poopoo'' the other kids say ''no your playcar is poopoo'' and the third kid cries out ''both of your playcars are weewee'' and therere the merry-go-round debate continues as a loop of hollow statements till the dusk of day. An adrift content of which basenotes have unfortunately been filled for quite some while (and no end in sight).
    The man behind Odori line is indeed the same one from Bois1920 (Enzo Galardi).
    The idea behind Odori was to delicately refresh the archtype fragrances of perfumery. The ideology of Odori wasn't to pompously ''revolutionize'' perfumery, but more a likely give audience an collection of well constructed stone foundation fragrances with usage of high quality raw materials. Also what comes to ''weakness'' of this fragrance line, could you please elaborate us to a which characteristics you specifically designate in your statement? Is it sillage of fragrance that wasn't adequate? Was it perhaps the subjectively felt consecutive longevity of this fragrance on your skin that you felt to be weak? Perhaps you should have discenchant your statement with additional information regarding of how many sprays you used? It is well known fact that ones personal skin type effects on longevity of fragrance, you could have said something like ''On my skin, it unfortunately didn't last'' instead of bashing off the whole line.
    Personally I have tested every single fragrance of this line and find them to be more than just a boring niches *to be sold types to which ''money equals quality''*. The projection of these fragrances tend to be normal, if applied 3-5 sprays. Longevity is as before stated usually a subject of ones personal skin type, on my skin Cuoio for instance lasts for 7+ hours. This have been tested and verified by a 3rd party member. Secondly what comes to the price of this line, if you haven't heard they are also sold in a sizes of 50ml (or 1.6 oz if you prefer american over european / global dimensions) bottles, in which case the price is being dropped well below 100$. What comes to structure of these fragrances, I can only comment that for instance Cuoio is an excellent example of a classical fragrance created by a creative non-classical doctrine. The very fact that perfumer has created a fragrance to resemble something classical with fragments of notes that normally don't conduct such a result is indeed, in my humble opinion, a work of art.
    When next time you (philmcphe) post a topic with highly provocative title, please back up your arguments with objective insights, instead of filling them with short and weak denotation.
    Last edited by MemoryServes; 12th June 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Last edited by MemoryServes; 12th June 2010 at 09:02 PM.

I concur with Stylin and Suga. Odori Tobacco is a wonderful scent, although a bit pricey. Very long lasting.

I do like Odori Tabacco. It is not weak to me. Very solid pipe tobacco vibe. Cuoio is actually pretty nice but is a bit boring and sedate for my tastes and can't hold a candle in the leather world to several other scents like Tuscan Leather or Royal English Leather.

Their other scents....

For scents that are pricey, they don't have enough of a name or presence to get a lot of traction. At my Barneys, the SAs seem to be a blend of Barneys employees and reps for Malle, Lutens, or Le Labo.

I find this true at many of the high end department stores. There is a Clive Christian rep at one the stores I frequent who unashamedly bashes the crap out of any scent other than CC. Same is true for some of the other reps of fragrance lines.
    Sad, very sad. Just like any other salespitchman hawking their wares in state fair exhibit halls. The quickest way to try to increase sales is to defame the competition. It's called "mudslinging."
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th June 2010 at 09:23 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I concur with Stylin and SugaSad, very sad. Just like any other salespitchman hawking their wares in state fair exhibit halls. The quickest way to try to increase sales is to defame the competition. It's called "mudslinging."
    I find that with many of the stores I frequent, there are very frequently SAs I don't recognize from previous trips. They will "act" like regular SAs but at some point start to steer you to their product, whatever that might be. Some try to be more subjective than others.

I find that with many of the stores I frequent, there are very frequently SAs I don't recognize from previous trips. They will "act" like regular SAs but at some point start to steer you to their product, whatever that might be. Some try to be more subjective than others.
    Stylin, I do dislike it when they try to steer me away to try what they are peddling. I know it's their job to do this, but I dislike pushy SAs. Before I could run and duck, I have been doused with spraying SAs armed with atomisers of the latest scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by MemoryServes View Post
    ..........I can only comment that for instance Cuoio is an excellent example of a classical fragrance created by a creative non-classical doctrine. The very fact that perfumer has created a fragrance to resemble something classical with fragments of notes that normally don't conduct such a result is indeed, in my humble opinion, a work of art.
    I got a sample of Cuoio from Luckyscent and gave it two full wearings. Yes, it smells of quality ingredients, it's well balanced with good projection, and yes, it has good longevity. But for $210 for 100ml, I found it extremely derivative and boring. I agree with MemoryServes' explanation of the concept behind Odori: fragrances that recreate the smell of a classical male designated fragrances. But personally, I find their results to be a bit reactionary. I like things that smell unique and new; Histoires de Parfums, Parfumerie Generale and Etat Libre d'Orange play the subvert the classics games, with results that advance the art of fragrance making rather than just simply luxuriating in past accomplishments.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th June 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    So I was in Barney's doing some sampling today, and I noticed they had the Odori line which I had never tried before. Talk about weak, watery, boring scents! I think the only way I would buy these is if they were in the bargain bin at the drug store. I said something of that nature to the SA who was helping me and even she said that she found the entire very dull and only tried selling them to people she could tell were the types that think "money equals quality" LOL
    It goes beyond boring for me. I think it's crap, and the same goes for Bois 1920. Piss poor ingredients IMO.

This have been tested and verified by a 3rd party member.
    Who established the testing parameters?
    How was a baseline verification established?
    Who are these 3rd party members?
    Who appointed them?
    Under what regulatory body were they appointed?
    Were they swiftly appointed?
    Who lent oversight to the appointment process?
    Was it a democratic process?
    Define verification?

Sorry MemoryServes, I just couldn't resist. ;')
    Last edited by neal; 13th June 2010 at 12:26 AM.

As a reader here I certainly welcome and enjoy the thoughts and commentary of PhilMcPhe and Craig. Thanks for the thoughts and the opportunity for other members to relate their own personal experiences and readers to consider such.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I got a sample of Cuoio from Luckyscent and gave it two full wearings. Yes, it smells of quality ingredients, it's well balanced with good projection, and yes, it has good longevity. But for $210 for 100ml, I found it extremely derivative and boring. I agree with MemoryServes' explanation of the concept behind Odori: fragrances that recreate the smell of a classical male designated fragrances. But personally, I find their results to be a bit reactionary. I like things that smell unique and new; Histoires de Parfums, Parfumerie Generale and Etat Libre d'Orange play the subvert the classics games, with results that advance the art of fragrance making rather than just simply luxuriating in past accomplishments.
    I do agree as well on the steep price range of Odori line, it does create an monetary obstacle to any potent buyer. Although as I stated before the whole Odori line is also available as 50ml's, with pricetag of 80€ in Europe, which should be around 100$ converted in USD. What comes to creativity, I do feel just as Kevin Guyer that niche brands such as PG or Histoires de Parfums have been more successful in injecting something new to their creations, than like Odori re-rendering the old classics. Although when it comes to Cuoio I feel that Galardi was most successfull, as he created leather scent without actual leather note, but only an abstraction that could be considered as a leathery projection. The matrimony of green, sweet and bitter definitely plays a tricks to one minds. I have heard people describing cuoio as a bug repellant they used at their summer house, to others it brings out memories of certain building in Catalonia, to me it reminds of JCE's infamous quote of personal fragrance taste ''salty and bitter'' and well polished light parquette.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What comes to my other comments regarding this topic, I do consider it more than appreciated that in case you open a topic with a title that simply states something to be completely rubbish, one should be able to have that much of tendency to write more than 3-5 paragraphs to backup his/her personal opinion. Writing few paragraphs containing 45% of 1) the qualitative telling story of what he/she did (went to the mall, walked down the perfumery counter, looked at the malls clock), 10% 2) how weak the fragrance was, without any explanations and the rest 45% 3) as one felt to be justified, explains how basically everyone using these fragrances are ''rich idiots''. I don't know but for me this type of writing isn't really constructive but more likely a childish and inconsiderate text, that I personally don't approve in any form.
    This reminds me of a case that happened at a work-related meeting, where a co-worker sitting and telling others how bad the new Jaguars XK was and how its owners were complete ******. Little he knew that a friend of mine sitting next to me happened to own this beauty of a car, nevertheless the socially constructed negative tension against all the Jaguar owners, with all the BS conducted by this other co-worker, did harm this particular owner's feelings on that very moment. The most ridicolous that happened was next week when this loud-mouthed co-worker saw friends xk and commented with praises how amazing it was. Enough said in case you like to bash something, please keep in mind that if something is bad, explain it, if something is good give your insights on its characteristics, instead of providing +-0 .
    Last edited by MemoryServes; 13th June 2010 at 11:13 AM.

Philmcphe and Craig made reference to the weakness and wateryness of the frags. Why should they have to pen a dissertation on the frags at molecular level?

Cool Re: Odori: Most boring niche line in existance?

---
    Last edited by neal; 13th June 2010 at 02:43 PM.

What comes to my other comments regarding this topic, I do consider it more than appreciated that in case you open a topic with a title that simply states something to be completely rubbish, one should be able to have that much of tendency to write more than 3-5 paragraphs to backup his/her personal opinion. Writing few paragraphs containing 45% of 1) the qualitative telling story of what he/she did (went to the mall, walked down the perfumery counter, looked at the malls clock), 10% 2) how weak the fragrance was, without any explanations and the rest 45% 3) as one felt to be justified, explains how basically everyone using these fragrances are ''rich idiots''. I don't know but for me this type of writing isn't really constructive but more likely a childish and inconsiderate text, that I personally don't approve in any form.
    Pffft. Well someone's really all worked up. I guess someone's personal enjoyment of a scent is really endangered.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Philmcphe and Craig made reference to the weakness and wateryness of the frags. Why should they have to pen a dissertation on the frags at molecular level?
    Wateryness? When I said very weak I mean't quite a few things. They don't last very long on me, so weak staying power. They are very expensive and to me are very bland fragrances, offering nothing out of the ordinary for the money that they cost, so value for money is also weak in my opinion. Of course everyone is different, what may smell nasty on one person will smell fantastic on someone else...... As for Bois 1920 I use 3 from that range and really like them. I suppose when I sampled the Odori line, I was expecting them to be a higher end Bois 1920 line and for me they were not. Everyone on any forum is entitled to an opinion, I didn't think mine was on a molecular level lol

Enough said in case you like to bash something, please keep in mind that if something is bad, explain it, if something is good give your insights on its characteristics, instead of providing +-0 .
    Describing a line of scents as "weak and watery" is enough explanation for me to understand what the OP meant.

Craig - I was actually defending you against a rude and uncalled for rant.

I suppose I was trying to say what Shamu1 said above.

No doubt you're big enough to defend yourself! LOL
    Last edited by jcrich; 13th June 2010 at 06:26 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Odori: Most boring niche line in existance?

I do like Odori Tabacco. It is not weak to me. Very solid pipe tobacco vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Amen to that. I really liked the tobacco fragrance from the line, found it to be almost a leather fragrance, with a unique accord I haven't run across elsewhere. Strong and long-lasting on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rioni View Post
    +1 for Odori Tabacco and Bois 1920 Extreme (also made by Odori) is a current fav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I concur with Stylin and Suga. Odori Tobacco is a wonderful scent, although a bit pricey. Very long lasting.
    It's funny, but I recently ordered some samples of Odori Tabacco, and received them in yesterday's mail. Wow! גדול! Odori Tabacco is going to be my next purchase (I'm not saying "when", but it's next-in-line).

But "boring"? "weak"? "watery"? Thankfully, not on me!

I know nothing about the Odori line, but am impressed with MemoryServes' word count on this topic's rather short thread. (yes, I am poking a slight but of fun, as I tend to be a bit wordy myself.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

nonsense. I think Odori Cuoio is one of the best made, highest quality leather fragrances on the market right now. I think it just takes a more sophisticated nose to understand it.

Odori Tobacco is also a very nice and well made scent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I have to agree that $210 is steep, esp. since I am pinching pennies to afford some Guerlains in the future.

I find both Cuoio and Tabacco to be very gender neutral.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I've only tried Cuoio. Nothing watery or weak here but I'm not a big fan of powerhouse sillage so that might explain a little. While I appreciate the artistry, wearability is something I value highly. And for Cuoio, I just can't get past its synthetic signature - it kind of put me off the rest of the line.

I also agree with Kevin Guyer, I find Histoires de Parfums' interpretation of history through scents very well executed.

I found the line anything but boring, but at the same time, I didn't find one that suits me. Spigo being my favourite of them.

Blog Entries

A watered down, weak fragrance? welcome to 2010! Its not even just the niche market, its everything

[Rant On]

Now-a-days, everything is embarrassingly watered down, weak, wispy, and might as well not even be worn. I think its a cultural thing, especially in the case of men. The current trend is the idea that a fragrance should be so light, no one will notice it, no one will get offended by it. If you wear one, it should be so close to your skin, you can't even smell it. I think its absolutely absurd, and i'd be embarrassed to be producing this garbage. There's so many aquatics, so many "Sport" flankers, there's hardly anything with substance to it. God forbid one person doesnt like your fragrance, "gotta wear my (Insert French Name Here) Sport!"

[Rant Off]

Sorry, but i can't stand this whole idea that a fragrance is supposed to be a skin scent. I understand some ARE supposed to be just that, but there's SO MANY weak and useless scents its starting to get annoying