Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Those who compares this to this.

I bought several fragrances yesterday and two were Cool Water and Curve. Which were favorites as a teenager. As soon as I got the Cool Water, I opened it up and there was that old smell I missed dearly. Like a deeper aquatic and green fragrance, I sprayed it in the box because I already had something on my skin. I then got home about 2 hours later and opened the box and there it was again, as linear as I can remember.. AHH yes good old Cool Water.

I had a little bit left of my GIT in the 15 ml decant I bought, just enough for this test actually, now I'm all out. Anyhoo, washed the other stuff off my arms and put GIT on the left and Cool Water on the right. I regret making any comparisons of the 2, because they are worlds apart. I was never the type who said "GIT is Cool Water with a big price tag"; rather I just said Cool Water is the next closest thing to GIT. After having one on each arm and inhaling the top, middle and bases of both, they are completely different. I made sure that each time I was sniffing each arm, I exhaled away from the arm afterward, then inhaled and held my breath, then exhaled again; just so that I could make sure I wasn't getting any lingering top, middle or base notes from the the other fragrance -- doing this more so on the top notes though since they are the most powerful. GIT opens up as a green/floral and slight lemon note and a big metallic note. 95% of the time I hate metallic notes or accords and throw them out the window, but GIT executes it very nicely. Cool Water opens up more as a dark green and dark floral fragrance with much emphasis on the woods, yet they keep the woods in background to linger for most of the time. Cool water remains very linear. GIT's middle becomes more of a soft floral yet still remains very green, still pretty linear; like a lighter version of the top without the metallic note. It dries down the same and switches through its notes very smoothly. GIT is really more comparable to a more floral and green aquatic such as Dunhill Pure than it is Cool Water.

I must suggest that those of you who find them to be similar, to actually do the side by side comparison, because they have very noticeable differences. I think when you begin to hear everyone say "GIT is Cool Water" it gets stuck in your brain. As many say this about Cuba Gold and Le Male, which I'll have to do the full side by side test in the future, but I feel that I may have misjudged those as well.

The other fragrance I purchased yesterday was Curve. I put this on my left arm this morning, and put Curve Soul on the right. They are worlds apart as well. Soul does have a bit of a trickster opening that opens up like Curve, but with more spice. Everytime I wear Soul, for some reason, there's something I just can't stand about it. You ever see a fragrance insert in GQ magazine or something? It has that papery smell, Soul has that for the majority of the time. It smells like a very uni if not almost female fragrance mixed with paper, but hey at 9.99 for 3.4 oz, I don't mind wearing it to less important events, social gatherings, etc. Back to Curve though, this stuff is truly great, and I forget how great it is until it's on my skin again. Citrus, citrus, citrus. It's pretty linear which makes it feel like the top notes last forever, which is what makes both this and Cool Water timeless classics. The only thing I dislike about Curve is when I smell the sh*t out of it, I pick up those typical Claiborne synthetics, similar to the noticeable "fried circuit" smell in Mambo. Anyways though, nack to its comparison with Soul. there's really nothing to compare, well, except everything. They are nothing alike from start to finish.

What are some of your opinions on these? Agree, disagree? What other fragrances have often been declared as twins, that you notice major differences in?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 12th June 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Default Re: Those who compares this to this.

I've tried Curve and several of it's offshoots. I think that the original Curve is quite unique and unlike anything
    else I can think of. I guess it would be silly to copy something that is already dirt cheap. Also, I think that
    the offshoots of Curve smell quite different from the original. I'm in the group that feels that Curve Crush
    smells quite a bit like Davidoff Echo. I have a mini of Curve Kicks that starts off with a juvenile candy smell
    and sorta dries down to a Crush smell. I only have samples of GIT, so I hesitate to waste away all my
    juice on the ongoing debate over GIT vs Cool Water. How about this? They both smell great, but GIT
    is gonna cost more, because it's less synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Victim of retarded remarks from basenotes. I think GIT and Cool Water share similarities, I cannot doubt that, but in terms of quality, development they are worlds apart
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I've tried Curve and several of it's offshoots. I think that the original Curve is quite unique and unlike anything
    else I can think of. I guess it would be silly to copy something that is already dirt cheap. Also, I think that
    the offshoots of Curve smell quite different from the original. I'm in the group that feels that Curve Crush
    smells quite a bit like Davidoff Echo. I have a mini of Curve Kicks that starts off with a juvenile candy smell
    and sorta dries down to a Crush smell. I only have samples of GIT, so I hesitate to waste away all my
    juice on the ongoing debate over GIT vs Cool Water. How about this? They both smell great, but GIT
    is gonna cost more, because it's less synthetic.
    I agree with your view on Kicks, I found it actually quite unique, but at the same time it's a headache waiting to happen. That goes double for Crush. Also been watching your reviews a little more, I see you're putting a lot out. Your review on Magnetism got my attention because I feel the same way about it, and nobody else seems to. To me it comes off as a more dark woman's scent that's highly synthetic smelling. Sometimes I crave it though and wanna buy it to smell this "grape/cola" again, but I feel as if it's more in my head than anything else, and it will leave me disappointed. Anyways, keep up the reviews, I'd like to see you get more in depth.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much for your time and objectivity, The_Cologneist. Its so refreshing to read comparisons purely in the interest of fragrance analysis, rather than house-bashing.

Nice post.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Well guys, I've been doing some more Youtube videos this evening. I ended the day with a video of Preferred Stock. I was trying to figure out how
    best to describe this scent in terms of another relatively well known fragrance. For some reason, Calvin Klein's Contradiction popped in my head.
    I checked the note pyramid, and wouldn't you know, the base was quite similar. So I ended up drawing the conclusion that Preferred Stock would
    be kinda like a poor man's Contradiction. I'm not sure if anyone else ever made this connection, and I wonder if my thoughts are validated by
    other basenoters?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. They're totally different fragrances.

They do share some of the same DNA though - mainly in the top notes. At the same time, I've always thought people who say they smell exactly the same are making a huuuugggeee overstatement. Then again, I can understand where they are coming from, especially if they are new to fragrances in general.

Call me crazy, but lately I've been wearing Cool Water more than GIT. It's less classy, but has more character and "magic."

When I read here that GIT and Cool Water were the same I was a little insulted. I own both so I smelled them and I was shocked to smell how similar they were. Sure the GIT to me smelled better to me, it could be quality ingredients, more ingredients, and better marketing. I still don't think of the 2 as identical, but they sure are similar. I don't have a trained nose to pull apart each scent so I can't really say what is different. GIT smells a little louder or brighter, and more soapy.
    Last edited by Thurnau; 13th June 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see your test. I'm a long time GIT fan and haven't tried Cool Water yet. It seems to be one of the main "smell alike' comparisons that keeps recurring. I'm clear they're both fine scents. I'm sticking with GIT.

The one comparison I see a lot that always sort of puzzles me is Bois du Portugal and PdN New York. The opening notes- the first spray out of the nozzle- is frighteningly exact. But the manner in which the two dry down is so vastly different to me. I'm not real good with breaking a scent apart, but they're not that similar imo. Whenever I read this comparison, I wonder how many people who say they're "just alike" have only ever tested one or the other in a quick in-store card sniff.

I remember too my own experience with Antico Caruso. Sprayed on a bit in the store and recoiled. It's opening is identical to Le Male. Scary identical since it's a $200+ scent. But, since it was a spray on skin, I was able to notice an hour later that Antico Caruso developed into a smooth, slightly sweet almond scent nothing like Le Male. Had I just sprayed in store on card, I would be railing that it's "just like Le Male."
    Last edited by StylinLA; 13th June 2010 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not to turn this into yet another GIT vs. Cool Water thread. This is truly the proverbial dead horse on this forum. However, I think each person's experience with GIT may be different. I have done this side by side comparison also (one on each arm), and I found them to be nearly identical. I am not the most experienced nose, but I don't consider myself a noob anymore either. I am also not house bashing. Erolfa is my current overall favorite frag.

I just personally don't get the head-over-heels appeal of GIT. Don't get me wrong, I like both of these frags, and GIT was a little nicer than CW on my skin, but not that different at all. Certainly not $100+ for a bottle different in my opinion.

And in keeping with the theme of the thread, (at the risk of again sounding like I'm house bashing - I'm not), I have a similar opinion of Himalaya vs. Paco XS. I find them both very similar, and prefer XS between these two as well.