Code of Conduct

Default allergic reaction to perfume?

DI you ever get allergy to any perfume? is this possible to get allergic to any fragrance? what type of allergy this could be?

do you ever think like that before buying any fragrance?

Default Re: allergic reaction to perfume?

You can actually develop an allergy to anything once you get exposed to it, even over time.

To answer, no, I never think about this when I consider buying a scent.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th June 2010 at 09:45 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Primrose I never think about this before purchasing. I have had ONE 'real' allergic reaction to perfume in my entire life and that was to Voyage d'Hermes - a new one. Thanks Jean Claude Ellena ! Red raised itchy bumps lasting 2-3 days.
    But really, I don't get worried about allergies.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

It's those bloody immunoglobulin E's again!

I seem to be prone to skin allergy reactions as well and have wondered what the allergen that triggers it is. Usually, it's come in the form of itchy red bumps. So far, I've only had the experience with sample-spray testers or vials...luckily haven't I haven't had that issue with full bottle purchases. Actually, I take that back, D&G Pour Homme tends to make me itch, but I deal with it by spraying more on clothes than skin.

hmmm thanks all for wonderful responses and experiences

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will on rare occasions sneeze violently 3-4 times just after the spritz or splash application of a fragrance, and then the 'problem' is gone not to reappear for months. It seems not to be tied to any one particular fragrance.
    Last edited by kbe; 15th June 2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not allergy but photosensitivity: some essential oils (and perfumes containing them) can make your skin more sensitive to UV (sunlight, tanning beds) for up to 12 hours, notably bergamot.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th June 2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Oh, sure, it's possible to be allergic to any fragrance. I don't specifically consider the possibility before buying, but I usually don't buy a perfume until I've worn it a few times, and by then I'd be aware of any allergy issue. If I develop an allergy after purchase, well, I'll just grumble.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I will on rare occasions sneeze violently 3-4 times just after the spritz or splash application of a fragrance, and then the 'problem' is gone not to reappear for months. It seems not to be tied to any one particular fragrance.
    This happens to me once in a while, too, sneezing when I first apply perfume. It's not an allergy, it's just irritation from inhaling a little too much of something, sort of like sneezing due to inhaling black pepper or dust. I've never had a skin allergy to anything (I have tough skin!), so I never worry about that sort of thing.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Well i know a woman who is allergic to roses and when she was young, she loved Guerlain fragrances and back then, there was not a lot of synthetics going around, she got a rash.

Even if you arent allergic to any fragrance ingredients, you could develop an allergy due to excess usage.

I have a friend that developed an allergy to fragrances that way. I also have a friend that gets allergic to Montale but not to Comme des Garcons If you catch my drift..
    chown -R us ./base

The bottom line is that people can develop an allergy to just about any substance on the face of the earth. If you know you are allergic to something (peanuts, dust, grass, milk, orange oil, Guerlain perfumes, laundry detergent, sunlight, roses, perfumer's alcohol, cat hair, jojoba oil - you get the idea) then avoid it. That doesn't mean that we should all go around worrying that we might be allergic to every little thing that we encounter in life, including perfumes. Innocent until proven guilty.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.