Code of Conduct

Default Longwood Gardens Exhibit: Making Scents: The Art and Passion of Fragrance

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here is a description from the Longwood Gardens website:

Longwood Gardens presents its first major exhibition, Making Scents: The Art and Passion of Fragrance on view from April 10 through November 21, 2010. An intersection of flora, fashion and science, this exhibition will transform the Gardens’ gemlike Conservatory into a museum for the senses. Experience the actual plants and flowers behind iconic perfumes, explore the mysterious power of the sense of smell, discover the unique combination of creative artistry and intricate science behind perfume composition, and have the opportunity to compose a basic fragrance at the Make Your Own Fragrance stations located in the Music Room.

Fragrant Gardens & The Science of Scent
    The exhibition is divided into four major sections: Into a Fragrant World, The Art of Perfume & Fragrant Gardens, The Science of Fragrance, and Your Fragrant Garden. Longwood’s conservatory and gardens will overflow with nature’s fragrant plants and flowers and as a focal point, an 18-foot tall sculptural trellis in the shape of a perfume bottle has been specially crafted. The exhibition will continue to engage the senses throughout the grounds of Longwood Gardens with outdoor plantings for visitors to see, touch and smell.

More than 260 different Genera of aromatic plants and flowers have been added specifically for the exhibition, joining more than 5,500 types of plants from around the world already housed in the historic conservatory. Yellow freesias, Oriental lilies, hyacinths, gardenias and lilacs are interspersed with the exhibition. The delicate white blooms of jasmine, which emit a sweet and rich scent featured in many notable perfumes, will be contrasted with fresh-scented lavender, popular for centuries as an ingredient in soaps and potpourri. Ylang ylang, a yellow flower of the cananga tree that grows in Indonesia and the Philippines, is highly prized for its rich and complex fragrance and is used by perfumers to add depth and intensity to several important perfumes.

Making Scents: The Art and Passion of Fragrance also will explore the sense of smell and how scent molecules send signals to the brain that trigger moods, emotions and memories. The interpretation of scents can guide actions, influence behavior and affect feelings. The exhibition will describe the biological processes of smell, including how olfactory neurons in the nose are stimulated by approximately 10,000 different odor molecules. Human beings are instinctually hard-wired to respond to smell, but individual reactions to particular scents can be experiential, based on culture and personal experience, such as the sweet and spicy scent of cinnamon evoking joyful memories of family gatherings, or the potent fragrance of lilies acting as a poignant reminder of a loss.

Creating Perfume
    Perfumes are crafted from floral and other natural ingredients by artists, like François Coty (creator of Chypre), Jacques Guerlain (Shalimar), Edmond Roudnitska (Diorissimo) and Jacques Polge (Allure), whose disciplined sense of smell guides their vibrant imaginations. The perfumer begins with an idea and calls upon a mental inventory of thousands of distinct aromatic notes, mentally mixing plant, animal and synthetic ingredients. Scent composition takes the form of a pyramid, with top or head notes placed above middle or heart notes, that are supported by base or soul notes. Once a perfume is applied, the scent molecules of the top notes evaporate quickly, bringing the middle notes to the fore. Designed to last several hours, the middle notes are then replaced by base notes, which can linger for a day or more.

Making Scents: The Art and Passion of Fragrance will showcase the technical processes behind perfume creation, from traditional harvest and extraction methods to chemical combinations of synthetic fragrances.

The exhibition will also trace key moments in the history of perfume, beginning with the earliest recorded Egyptian scent around 1800 B.C.E. and culminating with Coco Chanel’s release of No. 5 in 1921, the first perfume for the modern woman.

A Family Friendly Exhibition
    After seeing, touching, and smelling all of the fragrant plants and flowers throughout the gardens and Conservatory, visitors will take a scent journey using a Scent Seekers scratch and sniff guide, distributed only in the Conservatory. Travel through time learning about people (and insects) who have contributed to the industry of making scents like a rose rustler from Texas, a chemist studying the rainforest, and an artist designing fashionable perfume bottles. Find out whose nose knows as you match up sticker scents with the real plant on display.

Experience Fragrant Changes – Visit Again and Again
    Throughout the exhibition, the changing seasons will offer you diverse garden scents and visual delights. In spring, you’ll experience lilacs, lilies, and narcissus. Summertime brings the delicate scent of roses, scented geraniums, lavender, and Brugmansias to the fore. During fall you’ll celebrate sage, mint, lemon, rosemary and Senna didymobotrya, or “Popcorn Cassia,” known for its popcorn-like smell. In early winter as the exhibition nears its end, you’ll take in the scents of the sweet, pungent aroma of paperwhites, contrasted with the woodsy scent of pine, juniper and fir.

Longwood Gardens is located about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in Kennet Square, PA. I went to the exhibit on Friday and had a thoroughly excellent time. If your vacation or travel plans bring you within an hour or two of southeast Pennsylvania between now and 21 November, I would recommend a visit!

Default Re: Longwood Gardens Exhibit: Making Scents: The Art and Passion of Fragrance

Just found this while doing a search for a "scented gardens" thread I started a while back. (My sweetie's firm worked on the design and installation of the Children's Garden at Longwood and I got a chance to see it at the opening.) I loved it when they announced this event as I felt an affinity toward both the gardens and the scent exhibit. Has anyone here on BN experienced Longwood's Making Scents?
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Default Re: Longwood Gardens Exhibit: Making Scents: The Art and Passion of Fragrance

Argh! I'm green with envy. That would have been a perfect side-trip on the way down to DC. Bummer. And the gardens look so beautiful... I hope they can repeat it in the future at some point.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Just found this while doing a search for a "scented gardens" thread I started a while back. (My sweetie's firm worked on the design and installation of the Children's Garden at Longwood and I got a chance to see it at the opening.) I loved it when they announced this event as I felt an affinity toward both the gardens and the scent exhibit. Has anyone here on BN experienced Longwood's Making Scents?
    I went and it was a great deal of fun. A well thought out exhibit. I was thinking of going again or even meeting other Basenoters there, but when I posted this thread initially it didn't generate any response at all.

I did not get to visit the exhibit but I did purchase the lovely "Always in Bloom" perfume.

Basenotes Plus

I have not been to Longwood Gardens in some 15 years. I do recommend, if anyone happens to be in this area of PA, to make it one of your stops.

The place is absolutely breathtaking.

Wasn't aware of its existence. Sounds very interesting.

(2014)
    Last edited by hednic; 24th December 2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Wasn't aware of its existence. Sounds very interesting.

(2014)
    You and the wife should take a ride up there sometime. I think you will be extremely impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    You and the wife should take a ride up there sometime. I think you will be extremely impressed.
    We have put it on our to do list in 2014. Thanks.

(2021)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.