Code of Conduct

Default Scent of water recommendations?

What is the smell of water to you?

I am happily wearing Tonatto's Oltre, Montale's Sandflowers & Embruns d'Essaouira, Lostmarc'h's Iroaz and, occasionally, Hermes' Eau des Merveilles -- but I'm also longing for a variation.

In all of these fragrances, I smell water & sea, but I'm not a fan of "marine" scents.

Some more loves of mine: Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan; CB's I Hate Perfumes Black March Water; carnation scents, including Coup de Fouet; Diptyque's L'Eau.

Any recommendations or insights will be welcome.

xo, Marie
    Last edited by coldwaterswimmer; 14th June 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent of water recommendations?

If you are wanting the smell of fresh water, I haven't experienced anything better than Ineke's Derring-Do.

+1 for Derring-Do. It's very nice and fresh, certainly worth a sample.

Eau de Rochas.

There are a couple I find to be quite evocative of their names (or vice versa depending on which way you look at it ).

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle (lit: "winter water")

L'Ombre dans l'Eau from Dyptique (lit: 'the shadow in the water")

Closest scent to water I've smelled (not salty sea water, but the water of say, a placid lake) is Six Scents Series 1 No. 2 "Wicken 3000."
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm interested in trying many of these. I love the scent of the ocean , and recall that Beth Terry's Mare was very nice. Has anyone tried any of the Micallef 'sea' series? I'm especially interested in Black Sea. (I know...we're not really talking about 'doctored' water, like the scent of salt water, right?)
    Last edited by ronni; 15th June 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Issey Mikaye's Reflections in a Drop is a beautiful one....

reine

Quote Originally Posted by ronni View Post
    I'm interested in trying many of these. I love the scent of the ocean , and recall that Beth Terry's Mare was very nice. Has anyone tried any of the Micallef 'sea' series? I'm especially interested in Black Sea. (I know...we're not really talking about 'doctored' water, like the scent of salt water, right?)
    I've tried all of the Micallef Sea range, samples from http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ Black Sea is very spicy with a slight scent of flowers (not too feminine) and is sweet without going overboard with it. It's very nice, long lasting and certainly unisex. Red sea and yellow sea were my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I've tried all of the Micallef Sea range, samples from http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ Black Sea is very spicy with a slight scent of flowers (not too feminine) and is sweet without going overboard with it. It's very nice, long lasting and certainly unisex. Red sea and yellow sea were my favourites.
    Thanks for the comments. Sounds like Black Sea does NOT smell like the ocean!

Thank you to all who have replied! (I welcome all future responses, too.) I'm going to start researching & acquiring your suggestions.

xo, Marie

try Aqua Motu (Comptoir Sud Pacifique) - I prefer it on warm weather, otherwise it tends to smell like wet basement.
    Aria di Mare (Il Profvmo) has similar watery note. Nostos (L'Erbolario) is more of marine scent, but also nice.
    Last edited by Maddie; 15th June 2010 at 09:15 PM.

Black Sea smells nothing like the ocean.

White Sea smells a bit like the ocean. It's limey and a bit salty, with a hazy iris note, over a slightly darker base of patchouli and some light woods. It's nice but smells a bit chemical and saccharine sweet to my nose. I found that to be the case with almost all of the Micallefs I've tried. It's a house style, I think, and people seem to either love it or hate it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by coldwaterswimmer View Post
    What is the smell of water to you?

I am happily wearing Tonatto's Oltre, Montale's Sandflowers & Embruns d'Essaouira, Lostmarc'h's Iroaz and, occasionally, Hermes' Eau des Merveilles -- but I'm also longing for a variation.

In all of these fragrances, I smell water & sea, but I'm not a fan of "marine" scents.

Some more loves of mine: Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan; CB's I Hate Perfumes Black March Water; carnation scents, including Coup de Fouet; Diptyque's L'Eau.

Any recommendations or insights will be welcome.

xo, Marie
    The closest I have come to a scent that evokes water on its own, is Black by Kenneth Cole.
    To me, its like a tall, cold glass of water. Pure, cool, and thirst quenching.