Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Nicolai's Jardin Secret

Not a lot of info....

I tried this on last month at the London boutique and loved it; I thought, "I cannot believe I missed this one in my Nicolai samplings!"

Then I returned home, got online and lo and behold, no major directory engine lists it, and the only reviews I found were on MUA and like ten years old.

One site mentions it might be a new scent, rather than a re-release of the older Nicolai Jardin Secret...

If the reviews on MUA (of a cloying, nail varnish-and-banana scent) are of the old version, I'd wager the latest release is a new scent.

My impression was of a lightly-fruited Rose Chypre, with a staid, classical (NO... really?) mossy base. I found it refreshing and enjoyed the light whiff of fruit, but would categorically label it a rose scent.

Has anyone else tried this recently, and has anyone tried the older Jardin Secret? Are they very distinct?

Any other lovers of this scent?
    Last edited by Hillaire; 15th June 2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: 2 split infinitives and one cliche

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nicolai's Jardin Secret

Hillaire; Jardin Secret sounds very nice. I have yet to explore the Nicolai scents but, want to. After all the artistic talent of a member of the Guerlain family is at the heart of these creations.

Hillaire

That's right, N! I ALWAYS forget that. I think you'd really love some of these scents, too. I know I have recommended Sacrebleu before!

I guess no one knows this scent? GOSH! I need to get some and start passing out samples. It's really special.

Blog Entries

Default Nicolai's Jardin Secret

I saw JS recently on Amazon and saved it in my cart to take a closer look. I'd never heard of it. After seeing this thread I went back to look at it again. It's gone! No longer available on Amazon. Mystery scent! I'll follow along to see if anybody else knows more.
    jtd

Hillaire

I did just notice beautyhabit is already stocking it. The PdN site lists it, and claims it's a vintage re-issue, originally from 1990, which still begs the question of whether it was reformulated for the better.

http://www.pnicolai.com/ve/pages/ind...=jardin_secret

And I think they do samples at beautyhabit, like luckyscent. I am thinking of buying a large-sized bottle.

http://www.beautyhabit.com/product7259.html
    Last edited by Hillaire; 17th June 2010 at 05:52 AM.

Anyone living in the UK, if you phone the De Nicolai boutique in London they are fabulous at sending samples.

Also in July they have a sale(not online instore only )of 20% discount all al their range. You can phone in and they will ship out with the discount.

Hunted out my first Les Senteur catalogue which was from the late 90s.

They say:
    Jardin Secret
    Floral and very feminine. In creating this fragrance Patricia started with a vision of an elegant Parisian woman strolling through a high-walled garden of flowers. Jardin Secret begins with fresh fruity notes of bergamot, peach and blackcurant amongst which then blooms a percious "Rose de Mai" from the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. Woody, chypre bas notes (musk, benzoin and essence of pine) ensure a fragrance that is very long lasting without being overwhelming.

So Hillaire you have the chypre stop on.
    Last edited by donna255; 17th June 2010 at 06:57 AM.
    DONNA

Hillaire

Donna, thanks for digging up the old catalogue!

And for the information.

I am getting all sweaty about the sale in July, too!

Hillaire

I went ahead and bought a bottle of this, and I thought some of you might like to hear a better description.
    As it's a really special, really beautiful chypre in my estimation.

It starts with a heavy syrupy raspberry note, which quickly fades to a raspberried rose, which is both sparkly and plush. The base is decidedly leather, and reminds me so much of the buttery leather note, which the gorgeous Baladin (same era) sports. It occurs to me that these might have been once intended as a matching "pair".

Anyway the perfectly sweet rose over the creamy dark leather feels very opulent to me. If PdN has a really 'Opulent"oferring, it is Jardin Secret.

Like some PdNs, it requires a short wait, while the top notes settle. And the initial blast has a "touch" of the medicinal. But it's entirely fleeting.

beautyhabit stocks this beauty. And it's oh-so-affordable.

Wonderful.

Hillaire, thank you for posting your fabulous description of this scent. I saw that Beautyhabit is having a sale now (ok, actually a coupon code), and I was contemplating a "blind buy" of Jardin Secret. As you mentioned, it is very affordable.

After reading your post (I LOVE these kinds of scents and already have 4 bottles of Nicolai scents), I think I'm going to get it... I'm excited!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by RainDropSparkle View Post
    Hillaire, thank you for posting your fabulous description of this scent. I saw that Beautyhabit is having a sale now (ok, actually a coupon code), and I was contemplating a "blind buy" of Jardin Secret. As you mentioned, it is very affordable.

After reading your post (I LOVE these kinds of scents and already have 4 bottles of Nicolai scents), I think I'm going to get it... I'm excited!
    Oh, boy! What is the coupon code? I'll go look at the discount thread.

Please let me know what you think.

Jardin Secret as described above must be an entirely new scent. I paper tested the old Jardin Secret a couple of days ago. It's a heady white floral bouquet without any meatiness or indole. Tendre Poison on steroids, with a classic feel. I'll have to get around to sampling this new one...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS