Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Coconut Fragrance Recommendations?

Can someone recommend a fragrance with a beautiful coconut note? Something which has a nice dominant coconut smell which blends very well to the overall fragrance

Default Re: Coconut Fragrance Recommendations?

Creed Virgin Island Water.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Seriously?! Maybe there really is a Creed I would love outthere! Hmm ...

Creed Virgin Island Water reminds me of Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion. It's very nice. I gave it to my wife, though - it doesn't work on me, but she loves it.

Aramis Bermuda Tonic, IF you can find it. It's got a beautiful almost savoury (sounds sillier than it is) and boozy coconut note.

My personal coconut favourite is Hesperides by Essenze di Mezzanotte. There's the obvious Creed Virgin Island Water and also Lost March AOD and MPG Bahiana. There's also quite a few of the Comptoir Sud Pacifique range with coconut in them.

Creed VIW
    Marc Jacobs Men
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts

A lot of people say Marc Jacobs for Men as far as a coconut scent. The actual note is fig, but it gives off
    a coconut vibe nonetheless. A female coworker came in for evening shift not to long ago. She smelled of
    this really nice coconut. She said it was something like exotic coconut. I asked her if it was Bath and Body,
    and she said that is was. Not sure if it was unisex, but it was a great coconut smell.

Basenotes Institution

Premier Figuer and Premier Figuer Extreme by L' Artisan Parfumeur and Philosykos by Diptyque

Although, Virgin Island Water is quite beautiful also. But you must like lime also, because VIW has loads of it.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Agree with the Creed recommendation. You have to like lime with your coconut though (which I do).

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Coco Extreme

fracas
    histoire de parfum 1804

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post

LOL! Yeah I see the coconut tree at the back, must be a sign...

A few nights ago i was wearing A*Men, and a girl said that she was smelling coconut all over the place...

Not that i thing that A*Men smells like coconut... but her opinion was... weird, at least.

Don't know if it has coconut on it, but nightflight by joop! feels kinda tropical.

Tom Ford Black Orchid has the most delicious coconut ever. Living in a country that has coconut based desserts and with coconut oil used as hair oil (bad scent association!) its hard to find a coconut scent that placates me, but Black Orchid did just that

But what about a more mainstream designer fragrance which smells like coconut?

I noticed a lot mentioned in this thread are niche, I have checked Virgin Island Water on luckyscent.com and it's insanely pricey (For me, because I'm still a student)

Any cheaper alternatives? Mainstream coconut? Yet still giving that beautiful coconut note?

Maybe looking at below $100USD here?
    Last edited by Marshmellow; 16th June 2010 at 02:05 AM.

Sur la Plage

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess or Azuree Soleil
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

From my experience with Virgin Island Water body wash & perfume, I detect mostly lime and very little coconut. There must be something with a stronger coconut note, even if synthetic.

i havent smelled much designers with coconut except for paul smith story, but the coconut in there smells really, really bad. Like the hair of someone who uses coconut oil as a hair product...

now thats an accord them perfumers should use more often!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    Maybe looking at below $100USD here?
    Marc Jacobs Men
    Yves Rocher - Coconut (US$12 for 100ml)
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique - Coco Extreme, Coco Figue

I wore Marc Jacobs today and even though it's not a coconut scent by design it has that vibe for sure. It also doesn't possess the 'cologne' smell that will detract from the smooth nutty/figgy scent. Today was the first time I ever wore it and I had three different women say something to me about it. One said I smell tropical and refreshing. Another said I smelled so good. The third said she wanted to eat me up. She was a bit of a larger girl so for a second I was afraid she just might.....actually eat me.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 16th June 2010 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I wore Marc Jacobs today and even though it's not a coconut scent by design it has that vibe for sure. It also doesn't possess the 'cologne' smell that will detract from the smooth nutty/figgy scent. Today was the first time I ever wore it and I had three different women say something to me about it. One said I smell tropical and refreshing. Another said I smelled so good. The third said she wanted to eat me up. She was a bit of a larger girl so for a second I was afraid she just might.....actually eat me.
    I understand that the "coconut" vibe is actually a fig smell, but in terms of the overall scent, how dominating is this coconut vibe? Does it blend very well with the overall fragrance? This is more a summer fragrance, can potentially be a signature right?

Joop! Jump is dirt-cheap and has a strong coconut smell. Also Comp Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu has a strong coconut lotion smell
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    I understand that the "coconut" vibe is actually a fig smell, but in terms of the overall scent, how dominating is this coconut vibe? Does it blend very well with the overall fragrance? This is more a summer fragrance, can potentially be a signature right?
    It is blended very well but the nuttiness is the dominant lingering note. It's one of the smoothest colognes I have come across in my limited experience. It almost doesn't come off as a cologne at all. Yes, very good summer scent. I wouldn't use it at night for going out unless you live by the beach and are dressed casually. It will be one of my signature summer scents, at least before the sun goes down. I love the rich, smooth and calming effect of this distinct scent that you won't find on many others at all. Of course if I'm going out on a lunch date I'll go with something else that's a bit more flirty unless my date is more of a earthy type that wouldn't appreciate typical colognes. It's sillage isn't too explosive but isn't tied to just the skin either.

You have to check it out for yourself if you can. The cologne is quite unique.

Try the DEMETER Fragrance. They have tons of crazy ideas out there. From Play Doh, Thunderstorm, Dirt, Bubblegum, Clover, etc. I'm sure you will find a coconut scent there.

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/

Sun by Jil Sander ?

Here's one from Yves Rocher for $12 - not sure if they ship to Australia though...

http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control...u-de-toilette/

Armani Code
    Bel ami by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Here's one from Yves Rocher for $12 - not sure if they ship to Australia though...

http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control...u-de-toilette/
    Yves Rocher, looks like a cross between Rochas and Yves Saint Laurent hahahaha, anyway thanks, will check it out. That coconut looks really concentrated.

Personally, I prefer to drink my coconut rather than wear it. Go down to Barrachina's in San Juan - the birthplace of the Pina Colada. They make them the proper way with fresh pineapple and coconut and your choice of rums... tropical paradise!

Teddius

P.S. - Oh, and VIW would not be an out of place fragrance while you sit on the veranda and sip your drink!
    Last edited by Teddius; 17th June 2010 at 01:40 PM.

CK Obsession Night (strong coconut accord)
    DG The One (to my nose smells like a coconut version of Givenchy Pi)

Les Copains pour Homme (05)

I've tried a lot of coconut and fig fragrances, but in the end there's nothing that beats the fragrance that got me interested in the note in the first place - Virgin Island Water.

The lime and coconut, it's such a perfect hot weather scent. The refreshing tartness of the lime and the sweet mouth watering coconut, it's amazing.

After trying a lot of fig fragrances (Philosykos, Marc Jacobs, Fico di Amalfi and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head), I don't think figs and coconut are very similar at all. Figs are usually very creamy, whereas coconut is just sweet.

Tempting to actually invest in Virgin Island Water...very tempting

Blog Entries

Check out Hollister SoCal...yes im being serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    This!

It seems to me that in a lot of these fine suggestions the coconut is a rather minor player, at best. VIW is a favourite of mine, but it's as limey as it is coconutty. I think I would absolutely start with the Comptoir scents, or possibly even a Bath and Body Works. Both are firmly coconut and well within your price range. As an aside, I'd strongly recommend you try a bottle of Coconut Skin Trip body lotion. It may be enough fragrance on its own, and would definitely anchor whichever edt you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post

What about its longevity and its sillage?

Quote Originally Posted by sailim View Post
    What about its longevity and its sillage?
    On my skin VIW is delightful but fleeting. Thirty minutes, maybe an hour at most. Sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Aramis Bermuda Tonic, IF you can find it. It's got a beautiful almost savoury (sounds sillier than it is) and boozy coconut note.
    +1 for this. Imagine the scent of caribbean coconut rice - that type of coconut, but obviously without the scent of rice. Long-lasting and very coconutty. I picked a half-bottle up on eBay and I'm very glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    Personally, I prefer to drink my coconut rather than wear it. Go down to Barrachina's in San Juan - the birthplace of the Pina Colada. They make them the proper way with fresh pineapple and coconut and your choice of rums... tropical paradise!

Teddius

P.S. - Oh, and VIW would not be an out of place fragrance while you sit on the veranda and sip your drink!
    Great address - going to book air tickets. Just what the doctor ordered

Straight to Heaven, By Kilian. Feels like there is coconut there, but i might be mistaken. But i do agree with VIW as a recommendation.

Black Orchid, a Coconut Cocktail

fat coconut: SL Datura noir
    cocktail: AP Havana vanille

Banned

Coconut milk from coconut by coconut tree

Basenotes Member

VIW has more (actually lots of it) lime and very faint coconut on me.

As everybody has suggested, Virgin Island Water. Smells just like Malibu Rum, very linear but attractive.

Vanille Monoi by Laurence Dumont. A strong coconut scent!

http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/l...0040102/236629
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Virgin Island all the way. Summer in a bottle!

I might sound crazy but Philosykos by Diptyque is all about coconut to me. After the green/leafy top notes fade (which is really fast) all I'm left with is sweet coconut.
    China Town by Bond No9 also has a great coconut note to my nose
    Although none of the fragrances above have coconut listed in the notes breakdown, trust me, I'm living in the tropic and I know my coconut in and out!

A recent one would be Batucada by L'Artisan

Recently being pushed back up this thread.

Now apart from the ones mentioned above, may I add Santal 26 by Le Labo? Been sampling this and Santal 33 recently and decided to go for Santal 33. Santal 26 is actually a room spray but can be used as a perfume too. 30% vol (Santal 33) vs 10% Vol (Santal 26), but it lasted 7+ hours on me.

Marc Jacobs. Has a tropical/coconut vide but it actually is the fig as mentioned above.

[QUOTE=d4N13L;2075139]Black Orchid, a Coconut Cocktail[/QUOTE

I don't believe there is any coconut in this (I could be wrong) but it is interesting that you get a Coconut smell from it. I have a sample of this so I am going to see if I could pick it up.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    Marc Jacobs. Has a tropical/coconut vide but it actually is the fig as mentioned above.
    +1 just weak longevity and sillage but very nice smell

Kenzo Jungle

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Check out Hollister SoCal...yes im being serious!
    Yes I also get a lot of coconut from this.

+1 Bronze Goddess