Code of Conduct

Default note identification question

Okay, I have (to my mind at least) an odd question, and would love some help from more sophisticated noses than mine. I have been sampling many perfumes lately, and have noticed a particular note that is very “high” and pronounced – almost like the smell of permanent markers (big favorite from childhood). I recently noticed it in By Kilian’s Straight to Heaven and remembered that I had also smelled it in YSL’s Parisienne (maybe also in Malle’s Une Rose, but more subtle here).

In trying to think of other similar smells, I thought of Victory V’s – a cough lozenge I used to love when I was a kid (grew up in the UK). My brother swore that Victory V’s contained ether (as well as chloroform), and that was the taste we liked so much. I’m pretty sure they had gotten rid of the ether and chloroform by the 1970’s (I hope!), but that slightly “nail polish-y” scent/taste was really appealing and addictive.

Anyway, my question is – what is this ingredient in perfumes? I’m assuming it’s not ether or cholorform

I’m guessing it’s a particular aromachemical (or a combo), but would love to know exactly what it is…

Thank you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: note identification question

I wonder if it's the mentholated quality of the cedar note? You might try Caron L'Anarchiste for comparison, as it has this accord going on in spades.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thanks very much -- I'll check that out!

I haven't smelt those frags, but Petitgrain smells a bit like a victory V.

Thanks! I'm off to see if I can find some more samples....

Blog Entries

shot in the dark here but maybe youre smelling the alcohol?

Yes! That's similar to what it smells like, but it lasts a whole lot longer than I would expect alcohol to linger (at least a half hour or so, sometimes much more). Are there certain scents that retain their alcohol-y-ness for a long time?

Blog Entries

well im assuming what youre smelling is the alcohol mixed with the actual notes, hence the "marker" smell instead of straight up alcohol. i remember i used to think every fragrance was AWFUL...until i realized i was smelling alcohol lol. a half hour? thats very unlikely for alcohol to last that long. in fact 30 SECONDS would be very long

Spray or dab a little on your wrist area, don't breathe in while doing this (inhale deeply first), then blow on that area gently for as long as possible. Then move to another room and shut the door behind you. Walk as far as you can while continuing to blow on the area. Then keep your wrist as far away from your body as you can and waft the scent over to your nose with your other hand. If you still smell it, it's likely the note rather than something else.

My first thought was camphor, too, but I'm not so sure. Unfortunately, I haven't smelled either of the fragrances mentioned so I'm of no use. There have been a few that I've smelled that immediately brought to mind "nail polish" but it's been too long to remember anything other than that they had prominent floral notes. Sometimes I think high quality floral ingredients - because they use a more sophisticated method of extraction (which might be the wrong word to use in the first place) - have a sharp quality similar to nail polish. At this point I'm probably just confusing you!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

It could actually be one of so many things. Rosemary has a sharp medicinal smell too, and clove. Nail polish remover is acetone and that smells like pear drops. I'm sure I read of one of the aromachemicals that smelt of those. Iso-Amyl Acetate or Ethyl acetate?