Code of Conduct

Default Scents as Family Traditions

Hey y'all,

I had the chance to take my dad out fragrance shopping recently--got him some Creed Vetiver as a birthday present. He was stoked, we bonded, it was nice. While pop isn't a stranger to indulgence, he's never translated bon vivant to an interest in scent. I remember seeing a few bottles on my dad's dresser growing up--some Old Spice and Brut mixed in with the loose change and car keys--but nothing I feel a need to make a family tradition. All this pondering to get to that point--how cool would it be to have a scent that becomes a family tradition? Barring that, for zero-scent-history families like mine, a scent that becomes a sort of family brand?

So, questions. Any of you out there have scents that are family traditions? Or scents that you intend to make family traditions?

I think the guys in my family could do vetiver pretty nicely. Let's make it Guerlain, just to keep the burden on the bank account a bit more manageable. I guess my holiday shopping is done.

J

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: Scents as Family Traditions

Are you talking about sticking to a specific fragrance e.g. Guerlain Vetiver as a family fragrance? Or the 'vetiver' note? The former may be far too limiting imo.

Fair point! Perhaps vetiver becomes the tradition, with the understood freedom to explore personal preferences in there. That said, it would be fun to be able to say that "the men of the X family wear Y." Sounds classy... like we have our act together.

For particular scents, no tradition here, but using scent is a family tradition.

My mother wore perfume (my father bought her Chanel No. 5) and my father also used scent for grooming.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th June 2010 at 06:05 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

my mom used to wear Jean Nate when I was little. I still have nightmares.

I gave my dad a bottle of Tabarome Millesime a few years back and he still loves it. Got him Bois du Portugal for Father's Day. He's one guy that can definitely pull that scent off.

If the "extended family" also counts, I might say I did actually follow an almost hereditary tradition: while both of my parents used high quality and distinguished scents, the true mentors in my frag-related education were several friends of the family, childhood friends of mine, members of certain educational and work-related establishments I grew up around, more distant relatives etc., especially the male members of these groups used extremely sophisticated and lavishly luxurious male frags (often vintage), mainly by Chanel, Guerlain, Dior, YSL, Givenchy, Knize and Azzaro, so that I said to myself, whenever these gentlemanly characters smelled fabulous or whenever I had the rare occasion to catch a glimpse of the fragrance bottles stacked in their bathrooms, bedrooms, dressing rooms, "when I will afford such frag collection and when I will grow up one day, I will own the frags these gents are owning". In a nutshell, these stunningly elegant men where the actual "spiritual parents" on my road towards discovering the perfume world. Since I am both single and childless now, I would love it if more of my friends and even some of my family members would like more of the fragrances I enjoy, and, who knows, create, as time passes, a certain tradition regarding owning and wearing these frags.

My father wears one scent, the same one which was worn by his father, his grandfather, and his great grandfather, an eau de cologne manufactured by a very traditonal local taylor that smells like a simple eau de cologne with some amber in it, very fleeting and extremely short-lived sillage. I love it for memory's sake, I guess I will consider it FBW in the future.

My Grandfather by part of my Mother wore a local fragrance that was a hit back in the 1930's that, obviously, has been discontinued decades ago - I had a bottle of it that some relative took as a souvenir from my parent's home. It smelled very similar to JHL, the main reason why I have this one in my w'drobe.
    Last edited by Pollux; 15th June 2010 at 08:44 PM.

Such cool stories--thank you for sharing these.

Not a tradition, however, when my mother was dying, I thought perhaps the scent of her own mother would be comforting. I found an old bottle of Evening in Paris, put it on a handkerchief and gave it to her. I don't know how much the actual scent helped, but the act and the memory were certainly beneficial.

Aramis, Lagerfeld, Pierre Cardin, and Wild Country fell into that catagory. My Dad wore all of them. He still wears Aramis & Lagerfeld. Then I started w/ all of them accept WC.

I think what is important here is that fragrances can connect your memory to the family member who used it. I think that the traditional use is a first step in the right direction. It would be cool to have custom made fragrances for your family, complete with bottles of your family's coat of arms/crest.

How cool it would be to have a family scent tradition? I don't know, depends, I won't oblige anyone to wear what I'm wearing, and in my family we all have different tastes in fragrances.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    How cool it would be to have a family scent tradition? I don't know, depends, I won't oblige anyone to wear what I'm wearing, and in my family we all have different tastes in fragrances.
    I would not talk about family tradition, rather about attitudes, which at the same time depend on tastes. And these depend one one's origin and upbringing. Precisely, here is where one's family plays an important role.

Last edited by Pollux; 16th June 2010 at 07:18 PM.

I know for sure I got this fragrance interest from my dad along with a fashion sense. He was always trying out one scent or another. Mostly at a time when there were very few scents for men, so there aren't many scents he used to wear that I now use. I kind of like to think he would have liked Habit Rouge. Though it's been around since 1965, it was "higher end" than he would have purchased.

Boucheron Jaipur was his favorite at the end of his life.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th June 2010 at 06:28 PM.

I have a huge collection of cologne. My 2 year old son loves to hand me different bottles and say, "Smell?".
    I got him his own bottle (Disney Cars), so he can claim one for his own. For now, I think it would be cool
    to simply get him to appreciate the finer end to fragrance, and maybe shy away from typical kid stuff like
    Axe body spray.

Basenotes Institution

I think the closest we've got to a family tradition of scent is Joy of Jean Patou. My grand aunt wore it and when she died, my mother got her bottle of Joy and then I did. ( I used all of it ! *LOL* )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I have a huge collection of cologne. My 2 year old son loves to hand me different bottles and say, "Smell?".
    I got him his own bottle (Disney Cars), so he can claim one for his own. For now, I think it would be cool
    to simply get him to appreciate the finer end to fragrance, and maybe shy away from typical kid stuff like
    Axe body spray.
    My 3 year old daughter hates perfumes, she does not like to wear any kind of fragrances. She always tells me "I do not like the smell you are wearing" every time I spray. On the other hand, the rest of my family's members have a keen interest in scents.

What really gets my mind is that my three year old daughter has an unidentified skin allergy ("atopic skin" is the literal translation to English), so I always thought of this attitude as a defense mechanism against potential allergens, specially after a very strong rash caused by a perfumed soap when she was nine months old.