Code of Conduct

Angry Did anyone notice a stuffy nose due to fragrances?

It happened too many times, so it cannot be a coincidence.

When you wear heavy fragrances or a lot of fragrances at the same time (I often do that when I'm in my own presence) I get a stuffy nose. Do I have a cold for 1 month or does this happen usually ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Default Re: Did anyone notice a stuffy nose due to fragrances?

Not for me.

Some induce migraines, none cause a stuffy nose for me.

Nor for me.

I get a stuffy/runny nose and sneezing sometimes. I think it is from some citruses, jasmine and oakmoss, primarily. Everybody is different, so I can't say that my sensitivites are the same as yours--the only way you'll know for sure is if you can sniff the offending ingredient in isolation.
    Last edited by Asha; 15th June 2010 at 10:52 PM.

I've had particularly bad hayfever this spring, and I do wonder if fragrance is contirbuting to it.
    Last edited by Thalia; 15th June 2010 at 10:55 PM.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

i accidentally took a hit of vetiver recently and my allergy to it was so severe it developed into a week-long cold.

note to self: don't inhale vetiver colognes.

Blog Entries

Certain frags, applied strongly before bed, can leave me a bit stuffy in the morning. Sometimes it's sandalwood, sometimes neroli. It's not even very consistent - the frags that tend to do it don't do it every time. I guess I'm only slightly sensitive.

I get an obnoxious allergic reaction to heavily chemical fragrances. 212 Men and Armani Mania are the worst offenders I know. I get red, itchy eyes, runny nose, etc. Others set me off sporadically. Jaipur Homme EDP gave me a really bad allergic reaction the first time I sampled it. I tried it again several weeks later, and not much of an allergic reaction at all. I'm sure it's a very individualistic thing. Your mileage may vary. . .

YSL Rive Gauche PH and Opium PH stuffed up my nose something horrible. The only time I've experienced this...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Cool Re: Did anyone notice a stuffy nose due to fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    It happened too many times, so it cannot be a coincidence.

When you wear heavy fragrances or a lot of fragrances at the same time (I often do that when I'm in my own presence) I get a stuffy nose. Do I have a cold for 1 month or does this happen usually ?
    I'm sorry to hear that, trapper.
    I've been allergic to many different types of pollen, etc, that I'd have to move to Antartica to be OK
    However I no longer have a stuffy nose since I gave up OTC nasal sprays some 10 years ago.
    (I'd always have one)
    As far as frags, the closest 'allergic reaction' was when I received a decant of Amouage Gold for Men
    and oversprayed it before a date.

Is there an MD in the house? I ask because I've heard or read somewhere that an overly strong immune system tends to cause allergies, the immune system 'overreacts'. Now, assuming this is not a load of hogwash, it would mean that no, you don't come down with a cold each month You're just um... overreacting to heavy frags.

(BTW, which ones?)

Pax,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 19th June 2010 at 11:48 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I doubt it is an allergic reaction, I never experienced an allergy in my life (maybe one time when I accidentally drank a little alcohol after I took a pill, where it said loud and clear on the prospect: don't drink alcohol). It happens when I wear A*MEN, BLV Notte, and many fragrances at the same time, and rarely to both nasal cavities at the same time.

Maybe stuffy isn't the correct adjective, I still can breathe normally through my nose, it's just something's stuck in there (I'm not trying to be gross or anything, but there is no mucosity in there), and I only get the strong spices and some other few notes in fragrances, and I thought that's a normal reaction, I believe the brain suppresses the cavities so it can save chemicals which are released when I get the feeling of pleasure while smelling a fragrance.

Mario, I'm sorry that you have to move to Antarctica to get rid off your allergies, but look on the bright side, you can wear winter fragrances during summer and make us jealous.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    ...When you wear heavy fragrances or a lot of fragrances at the same time (I often do that when I'm in my own presence) I get a stuffy nose.....does this happen usually ?
    No.

Keep smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I get a stuffy/runny nose and sneezing sometimes. I think it is from some citruses, jasmine and oakmoss, primarily. Everybody is different, so I can't say that my sensitivites are the same as yours--the only way you'll know for sure is if you can sniff the offending ingredient in isolation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I get an obnoxious allergic reaction to heavily chemical fragrances. 212 Men and Armani Mania are the worst offenders I know. I get red, itchy eyes, runny nose, etc. Others set me off sporadically. Jaipur Homme EDP gave me a really bad allergic reaction the first time I sampled it. I tried it again several weeks later, and not much of an allergic reaction at all. I'm sure it's a very individualistic thing. Your mileage may vary. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    No.

Keep smelling.
    I put this in an allergy thread above before I saw this. Big time sinus pressure and congestion

My allergies have been horrible this year. I've noticed at times that my sinus pressure and congestion gets worse and begins post applying my cologne in small amounts. Recently, because I've sold most everything else, I have been wearing Mania and Light Blue PH. Both have Mandarin, Bergamot, a Pepper, musk and Oak Moss as notes. I am wondering if these are both heavy on Iso E Super. Maybe I should look elsewhere. I don't remember having this reaction when I wore a sample of GIT or even some other scents.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan