Code of Conduct

Default Aack!! my chemistry is changing tihs summer

I have a lofty goal: to turn 40 with my head and breasts held high. And so, I signed up for boot camp this summer, where I work out heavily 3 days a week (and jog on the other days). As a result, my skin chemistry is changing, and my threshold for sweets is dropping like the pounds off my butt.

Even my beloved L'heure bleue was getting annoying yesterday, wiht that jasmine note. i'm craving dry, twiggy fragrances in the green genres lately, which I don't have enough of.

I'm curious to hear about other's experiences wiht changes in chemistry, i find htis interesting.
    Last edited by BayKAT; 16th June 2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Aack!! my chemistry is changing tihs summer

I sometimes do wonder if my skin doesn't hold fragrances as well ( tend to be short lived ) because I am a vegetarian and have been for many years . I also don't eat onion or garlic or drink milk so I wonder if this makes my skin chemistry weird.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm not sure it's your skin chemistry that's changing. I've noticed that the same perfumes that I like while doing something sedentary are really annoying if I smell them while running. The other day I was wearing Balenciaga Cristobal while running, and the scent wafting up as I sweat was almost nauseating. Normally I like it - in fact I had been enjoying it earlier in the day. So I think it's a matter of what you're doing at the moment rather than changes in your metabolism, skin, etc. However, I do notice that when I'm running a lot I tend to crave fruit all the time, not sweets, so tastes do change.

One of my experimental projects is to try different single notes while running to see what works well and what doesn't. I know vanilla is out.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Basenotes Institution

Ah ! Doc Elly - thanks.... interesting- I was going to add that I noticed I smell things( perfume ,BO ,anything really ) better whilst exercising too ..Sometimes it's quite intense ( - must be my lungs and nasal pasages are open well ! I can't wear anything heavy whilst working out these days though I have subjected people to Hypnotic Poison a couple times in the past.....*oops!*
    Grapefruit is a good one for exercising I found- always smells clean ,fresh ,light.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th June 2010 at 06:08 AM.

I think that when one's mindset changes, one's perception of smell can change too. I know that is true for temporary changes (e.g., mood, illness) and I have little doubt lifestyle changes can have similar effects.

Light perfumes I can think of.... O de Rochas.... Un Jardin sur le Nil.... Dior colouressence..... adidas woman.... Can't think of any others for now

Blog Entries

Neroli hits the spot now more than it did before.
    Try Bond NY, Profumum Neroli, Creed Royal Water is also yummy for workouts.
    Try this thread for further suggestions.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/228...-it!?p=1769178
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th June 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I notice that when I hike perfumes smell differently on me and sometimes better! I discovered it by accident, but since then tested some. When I hike the perfume sometimes gets to a clean, very vibrant note and stays there for a good while. Some perfumes I even plan to "take for a hike" to see how they change.

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat - I tried Neroli by Profumum- it looks so delicious but it turned on my skin - what a shame.
    On a quest for 'fresh' .. I am waiting for samples of Profumum Acqua Viva, Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse , Creed Millesime Imperial .
    What is working is Fresh Hesperides and La Prairie Cellular Body Spray ( so long lasting for a body spray ) - great for working out !

I'm really on a citrus /lemon, grapefruit kick these days. Must also re visit AG Eau d'Hadrien but I wonder what the reformulation has done to it -though I hear the EDP is fine.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th June 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Doc- you'll have to let us know how your jogging experiments turn out. i do think that becoming healthier probably increases the ability to interpret smells. everything seems sharper and more amplified to me right now.

By the way- this thread is a discussion on experiences folks have had with changes in fragrance preferenes, i'm not looking for recommendations. i already know what is working for me right now :-)

Soon Im going to my annual summercamp with one week of intensive tai-chi and chi-gong training, located far from the city. Healthy food (no sugar, preservatives etc) and plenty of biking to nearby lake for swims. Im not sure if the change is in the body-chemistry or in the perception, but there is a change. First time I was surprised, now I count on it like a cyclic experience. I think my senses get sharper, and also for what my body is concentrated at it rejects any interruptions by scents leaning towards sweet (even a modest dose of flowerys) or spicy. I crave herbal, peppery, dry woodsy type of sensations. And this only after training. Whatever happens, in a few weeks Im enjoying my usual scents again.
    I wonder what would happen if I trained more intense on a regular basis (being just a averege exersizer).

Jogging disaster: running, hot day, wearing ma griffe. When the asafoetida got warmed up it took Hulk-proportions I was oozing like some garbage-bin behind an Indian restaurant. Nauseating beyond description.

Milou- too funny your jogging disaster!!!
    In reading your comments I"m quite sure you are having the exact same experience as me, RE: your cravings. yep to all for me as well.
    Maybe you can email me and tell me about your chi gong, i'm curious about that.

I read somewhere that people with diabetes have trouble with perfumes, because their blood sugar levels fluctuate so much and this changes the scent. So perhaps all blood sugar fluctuations, even small ones, have a similar effect? And working changes blood sugar in a major way.

Sorry, I meant working out, not just working! But perhaps working is true, too, i.e. as opposed to lazing around in the sunshine!

redrose- yes yes to that!!!! I notice immediately after a day of not eating that many sweets/breads/pasta that scents wear longer on me and smell more vibrant. I avoid grease and oily foods altogether now because that is the worst offender of all.

I"m now in week 4 of boot camp. I can usually smell my Nahema parfum for 4-5 hours before it fades, and right now I am goign on 7hours with it going strong beneath my nose. I just find this all fascinating :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    redrose- yes yes to that!!!! I notice immediately after a day of not eating that many sweets/breads/pasta that scents wear longer on me and smell more vibrant. I avoid grease and oily foods altogether now because that is the worst offender of all.
    Interesting... I eat very few carbs and usually get excellent longevity from fragrances. I eat plenty of natural fats, but that doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Interesting... I eat very few carbs and usually get excellent longevity from fragrances. I eat plenty of natural fats, but that doesn't seem to have any negative effects.
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I have a lofty goal: to turn 40 with my head and breasts held high. And so, I signed up for boot camp this summer, where I work out heavily 3 days a week (and jog on the other days). As a result, my skin chemistry is changing, and my threshold for sweets is dropping like the pounds off my butt. ...
    This certainly deserves encouragement. But what does it have to do with the fragrance industry?
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd June 2010 at 11:05 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.