Code of Conduct

Thread: Eyebrows

Default Eyebrows

I started plucking my eyebrows since 11-12 years old. I have sparse (not too sparse, but still...they're not thick), regular light chestnut eyebrows. They have an average shape. If plucked, they look a bit fuller and darker.

I recently decided to give up plucking for a while, to see how I'd look now with natural eyebrows. They grow back really slow. But it starts to look more natural anyway. Almost everyone around says I look more fresh (got this "fresh" word a lot!) and young, more childish.

I decided this after I searched for eyebrow plucking tips on the net. Noticed one thing- all plucked eyebrows look somehow similar. They don't really personalize, they just give a neat look, and make more way for makeup to be applied.

Than saw few movie stars and models with totally unplucked eyebrows, and few miss universe contestants... they looked interesting, their face was personalised in a nice way.

What do you think about unplucked eyebrows in women?

And... do you know any tips/creams/oils that could help them grow faster and thicker?
    Last edited by w3pearl; 16th June 2010 at 02:03 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Default Re: Eyebrows

First, the natural eyebrows queen. ) Ok, so ... her sister in that painting, looks very much like Frida. Except the eyebrows. Eyebrows made Frida's face unique.

ok, more modern faces.

just few... I think they look nicer than with plucked eyebrows.

Basenotes Institution

I dunno w3pearl...... like you -I've plucked my eyebrows since I was about 10-11 years old. I think that even if I tried to grow them back - they probably won't.
    I think Madonna had great eyebrows till she started plucking them !

*sigh* always wanted Madonna's eyebrows ! *LOL*
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th June 2010 at 03:34 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

some more pcs of unplucked, natural eyebrows:

mimi gardenia...

as I grow them...
    1- I find difficult to resist plucking them, it's in my costom already, and I sometimes think it's offensive to those around me, who were previously used to my neat-looking plucked eyebrows I had for years...
    2-I also have my doubts that they really will grow back. It's been over 2 months, and they're not complete. I'll just wait some more time, and if they really don't fill, I'll have no option than to pluck them again. Hope they'll grow, though...

Basenotes Institution

Good luck w3pearl.....
    I am stuck with mine as they are. Besides I think I would just look messy .

Hillaire

If you have naturally thick, full brows -- like all of those beautiful women do -- go for it! Thick brows look great, though I don't really like the unibrow look.

Not all of us are so lucky, though. I don't pluck, and mine are very thin. I have to fill them in, esp since I have black hair and I look sort-of eybrow-less. At least they are "neat".

Unless it's a case of the monobrow, I think most women are born with the eyebrows that suit their face best. I feel kind of sad when I see a perfectly decent looking woman with a rather unfortunate plucked eyebrow, especially if one side doesn't match the other!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I feel kind of sad when I see a perfectly decent looking woman with a rather unfortunate plucked eyebrow, especially if one side doesn't match the other!
    True- and I just choked on my toast laughing !

Those women are all gorgeous, and most look good even with a uni-brow, although I think a few of them could use just a little clean up (and a mustache wax for Madonna's little girl - she may choose to do that when she is older). Mims, I always loved Madonna's brows, too! Me, I dye my eyebrows because they are so light (I use Clairol's Just for Men mustache and beard dye), and then I have them waxed into a neat shape. Otherwise my brows are shapeless and make my eyes look sad.

http://www.wackyarchives.com/bizarre...s-are-bad.html
    http://nikkicrumpet.blogspot.com/200...ws-go-bad.html

On me, unplucked is bad bad bad. They grow all over the place, but there are places they should grow but don't. And then there are the white ones coming in...

I think it depends on the individual and what they are working with as to how best to groom eyebrows. If I was shaping them for the very first time, I'd go to a professional and have them done.

As for creams, oils etc I can only offer advice on what not to do: do not use Latisse on your eyebrows! At first I thought it was great. I have little spot where brows wont grow, so after putting a little Latisse on there, I got some growth and was very happy about it. But, the "brow" came in thicker than the other hair there, and curled out and up from my face, just like an eyelash! I'd started growing a few lashes on my brows; not a good look.

I did read that Rogaine can be used on the eyebrows, but I haven't tried it myself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    mimi gardenia...

as I grow them...
    1- I find difficult to resist plucking them, it's in my costom already, and I sometimes think it's offensive to those around me, who were previously used to my neat-looking plucked eyebrows I had for years...
    2-I also have my doubts that they really will grow back. It's been over 2 months, and they're not complete. I'll just wait some more time, and if they really don't fill, I'll have no option than to pluck them again. Hope they'll grow, though...
    if you keep the area between your eyebrows plucked or waxed- so you don't feel like you have a mono-brow- you can give yourself more time to let the rest grow in and then gently shape up the stragglers. In those photos where it looks like the eyebrows are completely untouched, there's still been some grooming, I'll bet- some have been brushed up, which you could also do to make your sparse parts seems fuller.
    I over plucked my brows when I was a teen and never again. I have to give detailed directions when getting waxed because they always want to take off too much after they've done the center strip. Forget my eyebrows, I tell them- focus on the chin hair! (LOL)
    I've seen some really good on-line article on how to cope with growing in your eyebrows, or how to make your brows that won't grow back look more full and natural- just wish I had saved those links..
    Hang in there...
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    http://www.wackyarchives.com/bizarre...s-are-bad.html
    http://nikkicrumpet.blogspot.com/200...ws-go-bad.html

On me, unplucked is bad bad bad. They grow all over the place, but there are places they should grow but don't. And then there are the white ones coming in...

I think it depends on the individual and what they are working with as to how best to groom eyebrows. If I was shaping them for the very first time, I'd go to a professional and have them done.

As for creams, oils etc I can only offer advice on what not to do: do not use Latisse on your eyebrows! At first I thought it was great. I have little spot where brows wont grow, so after putting a little Latisse on there, I got some growth and was very happy about it. But, the "brow" came in thicker than the other hair there, and curled out and up from my face, just like an eyelash! I'd started growing a few lashes on my brows; not a good look.

I did read that Rogaine can be used on the eyebrows, but I haven't tried it myself.
    I am really glad I read this about the Latisse, as I was seriously considering this to fill in my thin brows; I thought I had a stroke of GENIUS! LOL!

Interesting thread. My brows have gotten lighter and more sparse since I turned 25 or so, so I fill them in now. They have a natural arch and I used to get compliments on them quite a bit. My issue now is that it's hard to find a natural looking filler (I use Chanel's Perfect Brows in the middle color) and to apply with a light hand. I really like the look of a well-groomed brow. I've thought about having mine trimmed a bit, but I'm afraid, with the filling in I'd still have to do, it would result in a drawn-on look.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 21st June 2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: JUST noticed a spelling errrrrorrrrr!

Castor oil is supposed to stimulate the growth of eyelashes and brows. Of course, it probably takes a long time and the results are not dramatic, but at least it is natural.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Those women are all gorgeous, and most look good even with a uni-brow, although I think a few of them could use just a little clean up (and a mustache wax for Madonna's little girl - she may choose to do that when she is older). Mims, I always loved Madonna's brows, too! Me, I dye my eyebrows because they are so light (I use Clairol's Just for Men mustache and beard dye), and then I have them waxed into a neat shape. Otherwise my brows are shapeless and make my eyes look sad.
    Lilybelle- I think you are such a pretty woman and I can't imagine your eyes looking sad...

My eyebrows would look so terrible if I did not clean up - for me it is a clean up because where I have been plucking for yonks - it's just afew badly positioned stray hairs. Like SunnyFunny, I have a natural arch like Mommy ( thanks Mom! ) - for years I wanted those thick straight Madonna brows . My eyebrows are black in color.... so no coloring ( no point going lighter in color ) or I'll look like an alien ! *LOL*
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th June 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Lilybelle- I think you are such a pretty woman and I can't imagine your eyes looking sad...
    You are so sweet! Thank you for the compliment, you made my day. It's true, though - my eyes tend to droop a little (thanks to my father's genes), which can make me look sad, and it's getting more pronounced with aging. The best cure for that is lots of laugh lines, lol! I sooo wish I had thick eyebrows with a natural arch, or thick straight ones like Madonna had back in the day. They are easy to clean up, but so much harder to fill in and look natural when you haven't got much there.