Code of Conduct

Default Could you create a perfume from the things growing in your garden?

Let's have a bit of creative fun!

If you were to use notes from your garden what scent would you create and what
    would you call the finished product?

I am fortunate in having a reasonable sized garden with mixed borders and a few trees.

My scent would be as follows:-

Top notes of Fennel, Mint and Lemon Balm.
    Heart notes of rose (Sweet Hermione and New Dawn), Lilac and Wallflower.
    Basenotes of Pine and Moss (from the lawn!!)

I would call my perfume Kate's Garden.

Default Re: Could you create a perfume from the things growing in your garden?

Top:- Rosemary, Verbena, Tagetes, Basil
    Mid:- Rose, Peony, Iris, Violet leaf, Carnation, Grass, Parsley
    Base:- Bay, Orris, Moss, a tiny touch of Pine resin

This would be quite a spicy, herby, mid green floral, so I would call it Maison Vert

are we allowed to use ingredients from the woods right next to the house?

strictly in-house: fig leaves, figs, honeysuckle, mint, lavender.
    and I'd call it a day.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 17th June 2010 at 11:10 AM.

You can cheat if you want to Saripatates! What is your scent called??
    A day??
    Last edited by kewart; 17th June 2010 at 11:41 AM.

yeah "a day".
    in that case I'd add styrax/liquidamber to the mix.

It would be quite funny to actually make them up and see what they really smelled of. See lots of seasonal questions about tinctures from the garden in the DIY section.

How come this was in my inbox?

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    are we allowed to use ingredients from the woods right next to the house?

strictly in-house: fig leaves, figs, honeysuckle, mint, lavender.
    I'd call it kevin

I prefer Kevin!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Elderblossoms, lavender, and strawberries. Think I'd have to call it Heart of June.
    Mmmm. Nice thought!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hillaire

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!

I love all of our obvious good-fortune. I really did not think my scent would be so hot until I went out there just now, and I am feeling pretty good.

Mine would be a quirky herbal chypre with a very unique fruity top bit!:

Kafir lime, Kafir Lime Blossom, Loquat Fruit, Basil, Rosemary, Red Rose
    Red Rose, Cream Rose, Agapanthus, Mountain Laurel (for the indolic bit), Mustang Grapes
    Oakmoss (It's everywhere here), Cardamon Leaf, Thyme, Lavender

I'd call it "Fat Electrician".. oh, wait, that's taken.... hmmm... I'd call it 'Hill Country Rain'...

Texas Mustang Grapes a have a deep, citric, plummy smell with faintly alkaline "bite".

Loquat Fruits are an incredible, syrupy, and 'perfumed' stone fruit. To my nose, a combination of apricot, New World mango, and litchi.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 17th June 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Lets see…MY yard this year…..mmmm….Dandelion base, with Crabgrass, Tansy, and Peony middle notes, and a dash of Basil for the top. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to make the FiFi Awards any time soon!

What have we got in the yard right now? Hmmm. Australian violet, dirt, clover, Bermuda grass, honeysuckle, lemon blossom, and daylillies. I think the scent of my yard would end up in the "compellingly weird" category with that combo.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

What a great thread! My "yard" is more like wildlife habitat than anything else right now, but there are a few treasures. Let's see... (editing previous ideas)

SIERRA GOLD
    Top: Satsuma Mandarin
    Middle: Sweet Daphne, Mock Orange Blossoms
    Base: Oak Moss (or whatever kind of moss that's growing on my oaks!); Oak Wood

SIERRA SILVER
    Top: Meyer Lemon, Lavender
    Middle: Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Laurel, Broom
    Base: Labdanum (Rock Rose)

Need to think of one based on wild blackberries!
    Last edited by Haunani; 19th June 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Rethinking...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Doesnít sound like itís going to make the FiFi Awards any time soon!

Hillaire, you're making me thirst for fruit with those pix.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

This is definitely one of the best threads. I just had another look in the veg garden.
    Wild strawberry, Iris, Clemitis, Privet flower (catty, heavy), Elderflower, Camomile, Thyme, Rosemary,.
    I would call it Strawbelicious.

Well, a lot of my back yard is filled up with an orchid greenhouse, and I've actually made several perfumes inspired by different varieties of orchids.

As for what's on the property outside the greenhouse, I guess the base would be cedar, fir, juniper, sequoia, and hemlock wood with lots of tree moss. The flowers and fruits would include camellia, violet, daffodil, tulip, rhododendron, mock orange, rose, peony, iris, cherry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, red currant, grapes, apple and fig. The aromatic herbs (sort of corresponding to the top) would be rosemary, mint, thyme, lavender, oregano, sage, tarragon, basil, santolina, artemesia, and cilantro. Then add to that some miscellaneous notes like the watery scent of the new black bamboo shoots that are as thick as my arm and growing visibly as I write, the green of the sword ferns, the white and red clover in the so-called "lawn", and saffron from the crocuses that bloom in the fall. It probably sounds like a mess, but with proper proportions could probably be made into a good perfume.
    Last edited by Doc Elly; 18th June 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

the good thing about this thread is, it's about the notes in the garden rather than the ingredients. it's much easier to make chords this way I suppose.

Well thank you Saripatates, that could be because I'm a musician/gardener.
    I am loving your ideas and getting a glimpse into your gardens.
    Last edited by kewart; 19th June 2010 at 09:14 AM.

If you are a musician, then imagine composing a garden perfume in music? 'The symphony of smell'. To be listened to whilst wearing your creation.