Code of Conduct

Question Chanel No 5 Extrait

Newbie here, so forgive my newb stupidity. I am actually a quite active member at a vintage shaving site, but quite the neophyte when it comes to Fragrances. My question centers around the ability to identify vintage bottles of Chanel No 5 Extrait. I alway thought the Parfum I was buying my Fiance was the best, and then found out about the Extrait. Needless to say, I had to find it for her. I've located several bottles, one still sealed in cellophane, others with tattered boxes in various states.

Has anyone got any information on identifying when a particular box came from? I have attached pictures of this particular one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philcullens/4719441138/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philcullens/4718793201/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philcullens/4719441192/

I am thinking this one is a 70's to 80's era, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Phil

PS, sorry for having to link out, but could not figure how to embed images in the post. The insert image button did not seem to work.
    Last edited by pcullens; 21st June 2010 at 02:19 AM.

Default Re: Chanel No 5 Extrait

The modern extrait is also very nice, although it is true that it does seem a little different. The last reformulation was also great, so even if you got something from the 90's it would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The modern extrait is also very nice, although it is true that it does seem a little different. The last reformulation was also great, so even if you got something from the 90's it would be wonderful.
    So do you think it is the modern one judging from the pictures?

Judging by the picture it is def. vintage, and I would guess that it's older than 80's.
    Last edited by tott; 11th October 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcullens View Post
    So do you think it is the modern one judging from the pictures?
    Sorry, the site ate my post. I really don't know box markings very well, but I think Tott's suggestion is a good one. Also, the older ones from the 70's-80's had slightly "tighter" packaging, meaning the box was not very much larger than the bottle (maybe 3mm all around the bottle). 90's to present the boxes have around 6mm of packaging all around the bottle making the boxes slightly bigger overall. Date ranges are loosely approximated.

Ok, so I have been on the phone with Chanel, and they are telling me that the Extrait is no different than the Parfum they are selling now. What I understood is that the Extrait contains rose oil and jasmine oil that is not in the Parfum. They are also telling me that they have no idea what the numbers on the bottom mean. This is driving me crazy.

extrait==parfum to the best of my knowledge. There may be some subtle industry issues regarding terminology, but I think everybody here assumes extrait/parfum have the highest concentration of essential oils, followed by EDP and then EDT, EDC in descending order.

However, No.5 vintage =/= No.5 Modern!! And the EXACT formulae for parfum vs EDP vs EDT are also not interchangeable.