Code of Conduct

Thread: Perfume Stories

Default Perfume Stories

Hey everybody! Since we all love fragrances, I thought a thread to share some little stories and experiences we have had with fragances might be nice. Nothing earth shattering - just little things that remind us why we love perfume so much. I'll start:

I am currently in the French Alps and have been using a sample of "L'Été en Douce". Yesterday I was walking by a field of freshly cut grass and suddenly thought: "Wow! That smells exactly like me!" (Must be that hay note).

On the other end of the scale, I recently sampled "Dzing!" and the whole day, I kept suspecting that my colleague was passing gas - until I realized it was my perfume....Dzing turns REALLY badly fecal on me...

Now you guys!

Default Re: Perfume Stories

As a teenager, I loved to wear Youth Dew - I had a new bottle and sprayed it on in the car with a boyfriend driving, Just then we passed a construction site where they were burning tires in the trash piles - so for that boy, Youth Dew was always called 'Burnt Tire'!

Silliness!

Reine

I have told this story on another blog and people found it horrifying but I think it's funny. As a toddler, I was undersupervised, superinquisitive and always getting into things. It was 1963. Somehow, I managed to get ahold of what was then a $14 bottle of Chanel No. 5 EDC and drank it (or so they thought). Needless to say, I had to have my stomach pumped, and I reportedly shouted "whisky, whisky!" all the while. I still love No 5, although I don't now own a bottle, so no aversions were formed. And I drink whisky nearly every day.

My Wife, Son and I took a vacation to the North.....On this vacation we visited this little shopping village and I saw Comme des Garcons Odeur 71.....I sprayed this on the back of my hand.....gave it about 5 minutes and told my Wife that had to be the worst fragrance in the world.....About 30 minutes later.....I wanted a bottle because I felt that this was one of the best I had ever smelled.....Oh the Dry Down.....Very important to give the Great Fragrances a chance to dry down.....I came home and placed an order for the large bottle.....This is one of my favorite Comme des Garcons scents!!!
    I have another story.....I'll read some others first!!!
    gary

Blog Entries

I wore Bulgari Aqua to the beach (gulf coast of Texas) - and carefully observed the scent as we approached in our car. Sure enough, the real thing smelled like my Aqua. It shifted very gently from the scent coming from ME to the scent coming in the window. Very cool effect.

As kids, my brother and I and our friends used to chase each other around the house with my mom's perfume bottles or my dad's colognes, wielded like spray weapons. Hai Karate was a favorite. I can still remember....

"If I get you with White Shoulders you'll turn into a girl!" "NOOOOOOOOO!"

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    I have told this story on another blog and people found it horrifying but I think it's funny. As a toddler, I was undersupervised, superinquisitive and always getting into things. It was 1963. Somehow, I managed to get ahold of what was then a $14 bottle of Chanel No. 5 EDC and drank it (or so they thought). Needless to say, I had to have my stomach pumped, and I reportedly shouted "whisky, whisky!" all the while. I still love No 5, although I don't now own a bottle, so no aversions were formed. And I drink whisky nearly every day.

I LOVE this story! "Whiskey! Whiskey!" LOL!

I think Stephen King did that, too. When he was forty-five.

Hillaire

I have written this on another site before, too. And it's not super specific, but when I was a little girl of seven through nine, and my parents traveled a lot, they bought me a little ladies cosmetics case from the forties to put perfumes in as a hobby, as I was always most entertained at the perfume shops and counters. It was blond rawhide with plush, rose silk lining. I will never forget the smell or intimacy of that little suitcase. Which eventually got so full of perfumes, I had to use other space. And I have no idea what happened to it.

When I was a baby and mama used to bath me at the sink, yes one of those huge old sinks, she would pour Youth Dew bath oil in my little bathing tub. So for me Youth Dew will always be the ultimate comfort scent.

One more quick story having to do with another EL classic scent. When I was little, and while growing up, my auntie Sandy (rest her soul) would give the best hugs in the world. She always smelt so absolutely delicious and I remember her telling me it was Azurée, drawing out the word as if it were a magical incantation. So for me it is always a wonderful, love filled, mystical scent.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Must go get big spoon … cuz I'm eating up these stories!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thanks for your great stories! I love reading them!

Talking Re: Perfume Stories

About 10 years ago, me,my husband, son and mother went to church on Christmas Eve. It has been a trend all of my life that if something strikes me funny in church, I slip into uncontrollable laughter.
    Well, during a quieter part of that particular service, my 11 year old son looked at me and exclaimed
    "Did you fart?!" I was rather horrified and quietly assured him that, no I did not fart. He loudly replied "Well what the hell is that smell?" My dear mother, God rest her soul, leaned across my son and winked at me and said "Sorry, dear, I'm wearing "One Night in Secaucus"
    It was a "you had to be there" thing, but I got so hysterical I had to leave the sanctuary and stand in the vestibule until I was able to stop laughing. I composed myself, walked back to the pew, exhanged glances with my mother and promptly headed back to the vestibule snickering loudly. I missed the remainder of the service. Could never understand why the pastor at the time was not overly fond of me.
    Last edited by suzi2qs; 22nd June 2010 at 02:07 AM.
    What other people think of you is none of your business, listen to mother, mind your own business

Quote Originally Posted by suzi2qs View Post
    About 10 years ago, me,my husband, son and mother went to church on Christmas Eve. It has been a trend all of my life that if something strikes me funny in church, I slip into uncontrollable laughter.
    Well, during a quieter part of that particular service, my 11 year old son looked at me and exclaimed
    "Did you fart?!" I was rather horrified and quietly assured him that, no I did not fart. He loudly replied "Well what the hell is that smell?" My dear mother, God rest her soul, leaned across my son and winked at me and said "Sorry, dear, I'm wearing "One Night in Secaucus"
    It was a "you had to be there" thing, but I got so hysterical I had to leave the sanctuary and stand in the vestibule until I was able to stop laughing. I composed myself, walked back to the pew, exhanged glances with my mother and prompted headed back to the vestibule snickering loudly. I missed the remainder of the service. Could never understand why the pastor at the time was not overly fond of me.
    Awesome story!

Basenotes Institution

Chanel No.5 - my patients hugging me and telling me how wonderful I smell and how they love it .Not a story but a recollection I always think of .

Mitsouko- buying my 1st bottle from Gatwick Airport and smelling glorious all though my Dublin trip . ( Many many moons ago now.. ) ( Also overspraying in the bathroom, to annoy my sister who hates Mitsouko to this day . )

24 Faubourg- being grabbed at duty free by a frantic woman , with both hands, who said she had to have that 'smell' and proceeded to buy a bottle.

4711- my grandfather wore this and he had a special technique of dripping it from the top of his head !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st June 2010 at 09:56 PM.

The head dripping technique sounds intriguing...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    The head dripping technique sounds intriguing...
    *LOL* he insisted it was the best way to do it ............He didn't have too much hair either so......no obstructions .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

DeepSilence

When i was 17, i went to buy a fragrance. I saw the name in the store`s list, I read it :Cartier Super T !! (Cartier So pretty) (in my language they have not different)
    I said myself : It should be very interesting and Super!! I said to saleman i want this. He looked at me with wondering and said: It's feminine and... really not good. I said : I JUST WANT THIS, nothing else.
    I bought it and went to home. after several minutes sniffing i thought why it's not super?! and really crap.
    I showed it to my cousine and said : It's really fantastic! do you want it?
    My cousine sniffed : Pffffffffff
    Me : Mooom, i have a super fragrance with 50% off
    She: pffffffffff, if you want maybe i can find a customer for it
    me : just throw it to trash.

I was in traffic court this last April and sitting in the front row (closest to the judge). As I was waiting while the others were summoned in front of the judge, I thought I'd take a quick sniff of my shirt (toward cleavage) to see if my perfume was working... judge looked at me just then as I was sniffing! How embarressing..... I think I was wearing Amouresuse by del rae.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

We went to Chicago on vacation and I wanted to stop at Oak Brook Mall one more time.....I went to Sephora and sprayed Comme des Garcons Odeur 53.....CdG was very new to me at this time.....We live about 4 1/2 hours from Chicago.....I remember smelling my hand the whole trip home wishing I had purchased this scent.....I ordered this the minute I walked thru the door..... CdG Odeur 53 along with Odeur 71 are 2 of my favorite scents from this House.....I still remember that drive home.....Gary