Code of Conduct

Default Lumiere Noir pour Homme by Maison Kurkdjian or Le Labo's Rose 31

Trying to decide. Love them both, but feel Lumiere Noir may be a bit more feminine on my skin? Also there's a period in the drydown of Lumiere Noir that reminds me of nail polish - yet it's more intriguing overall than Rose 31. Any input on which to choose?
    Last edited by neal; 17th June 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Default Re: Lumiere Noir pour Homme by Maison Kurkdjian or Le Labo's Rose 31

My trial of Lumiere was a hardly a fair test, but I'm an advocate of Rose 31. My sense is Lumiere is more subtle, discreet and refined and wears more lightly. Rose 31 leans more on the "grrrrrr" aggressive side, but not at an 80s power scent level.

I usually like aggressive more than subtle myself.

Don't know if that helps.

urrr- double post
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th June 2010 at 09:04 PM.

My vote is Rose 31
    Lumiere Noir smells like bug spray IMO

Both! Both of those fragrances are in my current top ten. Both fragrances are almost flawless too.

If you had to choose one though, I'd go with Rose 31.

You can't go wrong with either though. Both are unique, top quality and sexy. The only fragrance that smells even remotely like Lumiere Noire is Narciso Rodriguez for Her, which is my favorite fragrance for women.
    Sales thread here

I am a huge fan of both. I find that Lumiere Noire is very similar to Narciso Rodriguez for Her (Also a Kurkjian composition). Lumiere Noire can easily be seen as a unisex rather than a straight masculine. I find Rose 31 more versatile and clearly masculine. If you have no worries about wearing unisex scents, there is nothing wrong with LN. Overall, LN is best for evenings and Rose can work during the day and night. Let me know if I can help more.
    Please visit my videos! NY Fragrance Blog:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYFragranceBlog

Blog Entries

Lumiere Noir- I did not like at first. The sour green and Cinnabon opening killed it for me. Then I gave it another shot...the dry down is sooooo damn YUMMY. Indeed NR for her is all in it...but the top notes I get it now..and I love it. Complete 180 on this scent I love it.
    Rose 31- I loved from the first time I wore it...The dirty sweaty rose..to the refined cedar and oud...whats not to love.

I think they are a tie right about now....I like Rose 31 more, cause I like wood. But I feel I would wear LNPH way more often.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Lumiere Noir x 1000. I have never owned any fragrance that gets as many compliments. I cannot stand feminine scents but I have never felt that this one was anything other than unisex/masculine. I absolutely loathe that "nail polish" accord that is common in so many other fragrances--I can assure you that LNPH doesn't have it.

In comparison, I was completely underwhelmed by the highly overrated Rose 31.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Lumiere Noir x 1000. I have never owned any fragrance that gets as many compliments. I cannot stand feminine scents but I have never felt that this one was anything other than unisex/masculine. I absolutely loathe that "nail polish" accord that is common in so many other fragrances--I can assure you that LNPH doesn't have it.

In comparison, I was completely underwhelmed by the highly overrated Rose 31.
    I really like it too.....
    Im the be$t @ thi$

IMO, Rose 31 is everything a masterpeice could possibly be. The most masculine rose out there, maybe the sexiest fragrance I can think of as well. It's sheer perfection.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I really enjoy both. Rose 31 is more traditionally masculine and "masculine sexy" while LNPH is more "modern, metro sexy." I haven't tested NR for Her enough to make the connection to the degree others have - to me LNPH smells like NR for Him though, with added rose and a bit of spice.

If you really enjoy both, perhaps get a decant of each. See which one you go through faster, and get a bottle of that in the end.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

Le Labo Rose 31 is the far superior fragrance.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th January 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Deleted and moved.

Deleted and moved.
    Last edited by neal; 20th June 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Got a sample vial of Lumiere Noir yesterday and gave it another shot. It is much quieter than Rose 31. I still vote Rose 31.
    If you like discreet, Lumiere Noir may be better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Got a sample vial of Lumiere Noir yesterday and gave it another shot. It is much quieter than Rose 31. I still vote Rose 31.
    If you like discreet, Lumiere Noir may be better for you.
    I thought Rose 31 was too subtle. If Lumiere Noir ph is even lighter than Rose 31, then it would be virtually undetectable.
    On my skin, Rose 31 doesn't project at all. It doesn't matter how liberally I apply it but I perceive Rose 31 to be a skin scent.

I was quite close to making a full bottle blind buy of Lumiere Noir ph but I think I should tread with caution here.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I thought Rose 31 was too subtle. If Lumiere Noir ph is even lighter than Rose 31, then it would be virtually undetectable.
    On my skin, Rose 31 doesn't project at all. It doesn't matter how liberally I apply it but I perceive Rose 31 to be a skin scent.

I was quite close to making a full bottle blind buy of Lumiere Noir ph but I think I should tread with caution here.
    Is Lumiere Noire softer? Yes. Lighter? I donno. Both fragrances project pretty well. I think Lumiere Noire is just smoother and comes off less harsh on the senses. It's like a smooth cloud of roses and musk with no sharp edges. Seriously, it really feels like a cloud of the most soothing, clean and sexy musk I've ever smelled.

There's also patchouli in there, but it's hard to tell where the patchouli starts and the rose ends. There are seriously no "seams" to the composition, so to speak.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Is Lumiere Noire softer? Yes. Lighter? I donno. Both fragrances project pretty well. I think Lumiere Noire is just smoother and comes off less harsh on the senses. It's like a smooth cloud of roses and musk with no sharp edges. Seriously, it really feels like a cloud of the most soothing, clean and sexy musk I've ever smelled.

There's also patchouli in there, but it's hard to tell where the patchouli starts and the rose ends. There are seriously no "seams" to the composition, so to speak.
    You don't want to make life easy for me, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    You don't want to make life easy for me, do you?
    Wow gupts. Better bite the bullet and get a sample.

Rose 31 is fairly strong on me and I have a lot of trouble with scents. Lumiere wore pretty light on me, but I have a pretty dense nose.

Several times over the past couple weeks I have wore my sample of Lumière Noire pour Homme. My skin typically has trouble projecting scents, but this one is really strong and long lasting on me. It can either be viewed as somewhat feminine or extremely sexy masculine. Either way, it is definitely good stuff. So far everyone around when I have wore it has really liked it. I guess that I should sample Rose 31 to see what it's all about.

BINGO

Both are different. I would wear Rose 31 more but LN is IMO really good. My sister has the pour femme and it's similar to the PH.

Well, it's been 4 months since I last posted on this, but I finally got a Rose 31 sample to see what it's about. It definitely is different than most scents that I have ever smelled, but I kind of get a similar smell to the drydown of Domenico Carecini's 1913. Rose 31 is LOUD!!! Something in there is very potent, almost like when a lady really over applies a flowery perfume to the point where it's almost annoying.... hard to describe. After wearing it for several days and comparing it with Lumiere Noir, my wife and I both feel like Rose 31 has something in there that is distinctly more feminine. This of course goes against what a lot of people have said, but to each their own I guess. There is just some note in there that instantly paints a picture of an overpowering ladies perfume, especially in the first hour or so. According the the Luckyscent "Masculinity Meter" (as I call it), Lumiere Noir definitely ranks higher on the masculine side than Rose 31. Regardless, bottom line..... on smell alone (gender level not included) Lumiere Noir is by far my favorite, Rose 31 is nice but no where close in comparison.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I concur. Rose 31 is on the more aggressive side. Lumiere Noir is definitely the smoother & sexier of the two...

Lumiere Noire pour Homme gets my vote for the sexiest male fragrance of all time! Not to mention that it's the most versatile fragrance in my wardrobe--I've almost finished my first bottle and already picked up another one so I won't have to be without it even for a day.

People throw around this word a lot, but LNPH is a true masterpiece.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Lumiere Noir pour Homme

smells like narciso rodriguez (but better) , which in turn takes a leaf from Arabic and Indian attars, more so Indian Kannauj attars, cause they blend spices more, like cumin and cinnamon, which are Indian spices.
    Overall , I think its damn good , Musc Narciso was also made by Kurkdijian, this is the male version of it. Projection is average , but longevity is great ! I get 18 - 22 hours with this . Rose 31 has great projection and average longevity. As a scent , LMN wins, it is an incredibly sexy scent from start to finish. I even prefer this to Black Aoud , because there are no harsh bug spray notes.

My vote: eeny, meeny, miny, moe... couldn't decide otherwise.

Blog Entries

While both are great I vote for the more redfined, sophisticated choice - Lumiere Noir ph.

Bear in my, I own both and wouldnt part with either.
    Smellin good

Few months back I voted Lumiere Noire, whereas today I strongly favor Rose 31. Own both.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Lumiere Noir pour Homme wins hands down in my book. Sexy, airy, sophisticated, alluring, I could go on and on - a masterpiece.

Le Labo Rose 31, blah.

For what seasons will you wear Lumiere Noir? To me it looks like a Spring/Summer scent.

Any recommendations on number of sprays. It is very transparent so I am weary of overspraying.
    Last edited by spirit966; 31st January 2012 at 05:54 AM.

Lnph unfortunately for me makes me sick to my stomach. Literally nauseous.

I have both and it is really hard to choose. Rose 31 is probably easier to wear for me but still not easy to wear. Sometimes it gives this clean armpit vibe. Lumiere Noire on the other hand is one of these perfumes that people have commented to me "are you sure this is the pour Homme?". I don't mind about the comments but it comes off a bit loud, at least on my skin. Still it is very beautiful.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Rose 31.427

Kurkdjian is a pompous *******

I don't like anyone more arrogant than myself

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I've got to try Rose 31 again.

My favorite spiced rose of the moment is the wonderful Opus IV (ok, not much rose, but probably as much rose as Rose 31 ). You should check it out if you haven't Puddlemonkey - it's done by the same perfumer who did Uden (Jacques Flori).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've got to try Rose 31 again.

My favorite spiced rose of the moment is the wonderful Opus IV (ok, not much rose, but probably as much rose as Rose 31 ). You should check it out if you haven't Puddlemonkey - it's done by the same perfumer who did Uden (Jacques Flori).
    smells like carbonated bubble gum to me

a very good carbonated bubble gum

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Unsuperintended Member

I have and like both. Lumiere Noire is a bit more 'shirt and tie', it feels more refined and smooth. It is also the quieter of the two and may not satisfy lovers of loud scents.
    He boiled for our sins.

I have both and am a huge fan of FK, BUT in this case, if I am honest. Le Labo 31 is pure Wicked Rose!

I have both of these demons. I'll wear Lumiere Noire before Rose31. I know that this might cause some grief. After wearing Rose31 for around 6 months it fell to the back of shelf. Also, I do get a fair number of compliments from LN.

Cheers Rex
    I wonder if he's playing Thin Lizzard?

Rose 31 by a long shot. LN wore on me like an ill fitting jacket. Also, I found it to be reminiscent of Burberry Brit for her.

On my skin Lumier Noire is so close to YSL Opium Pour Homme.

I have to put in another good word for Rose 31. I tried Lumiere Noire and while it is certainly refined, I found it somewhat one-dimensional. Rose 31 is a more versatile fragrance that I think you'll get more mileage out of that LM.

I noticed that there have been some discussion about masculine rose lately and I decide to give my opinion about these two popular ones. Referring to this discussion, it is interesting to see how much opinions can change depending on the answerer between these two. I sampled both today, at the same time. Lumiere Noire Pour Homme on my left wrist and Rose 31 on my right wrist. Have to say, although I really like both scents, I still have clear winner here.

Like many have said before, I also found that LNPH is very elegant, stylish, clean and sexy in a modern way. Rose 31 is definitely nice and interesting scent, but on my skin it turns a little bit too feminine and maybe a bit synthetic comparing to LNPH. And yes, I found LNPH more masculine than Rose 31. Rose accord is much stronger in Rose 31 than rose accord in LNPH on my skin. So, for my nose and on my skin LNPH beats Rose 31.

Overall, I would say that LNPH is 5/5 scent and bottleworthy for me, when Rose 31's rating is 4/5 and not quite good enough to earn a full bottle purchase. Nevertheless, I can see why there is so much love for Rose 31. But for me, LNPH is a gorgeous scent indeed and it is in my wishlist now.
    I'm selling internationally Opium homme EDP

Check out my selling list:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/396...mp-NR-Musc-oil

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Few months back I voted Lumiere Noire, whereas today I strongly favor Rose 31. Own both.
    Same here, verbatim!

Find them both to be quite feminine, don't particularly like Rose 31, LNPH is a fantastic fragrance though.

LUMIÈRE NOIRE POUR HOMME definitely

Le labo Rose 31 hands down.

Sound Scents

Like both but strongly prefer Lumière Noir pour Homme.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I'm wearing LNPH for the first time today, and I prefer it over Rose 31. LNPH reminds me of my gf's NR for Her EDT, but LNPH is smoother and less feminine. It gets close to my skin after 4 hours, but I still get whiffs of it here and there.

I prefer LNPH over Rose 31. Tried out Rose 31 for the first time a couple weeks ago at Barneys and just thought it was ok. I have always really liked LNPH.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE